1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sometimes I REALLY hate California

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Tim, Jan 9, 2010.

1. Tim

Tim

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/01/09/california.earthquake/index.html?section=cnn_latest
    http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsus/Maps/US2/40.42.-126.-124.php

6.5 Earthquake. The epicenter was apparently 10 miles away from us. I was home alone, the hanging plants above me started swinging violently, and I just ran as fast as I could without falling to the backyard, as even though it's fenced in, the walls of the house were like, moving back and forth. I thought it was one of the small EQ's I tend to ignore, as if they're minor, they aren't a big deal. It started with a small shake, then all of the sudden, the entire house started shaking, things started falling, and next thing I know, my brain kicks in that I need to get the hell away from the hanging plants, XD

Mom and sister were in Michael's (crafts store) and apparently one of the ceiling lights fell, and just missed hitting them. My other sister was on the street, she thought her tires all blew out, as they were all just bought today.

We spent 2 hours checking on people we care about, making sure they're alright, etc. I'm still shaking, and the earthquake was almost 5 hours ago. One family friends house has MASSIVE cracks in the walls, and another family friend had all of their dishes, etc, fall off the shelves.

People are saying that we're overreacting and it's not a big EQ, but you know what, I've lived here all my life, and that's THE most violent quake I've ever seen, even our family friends who've lived here 50+ years say the same.

Out of curiousity: was anyone else near the quake, or feel anything (I've heard people as far as some cities in Oregon apparently felt it ._.)?

2. Shevanel

(*hug*) Glad you and your family is okay, Tim.

3. Étoile

Wow, that's scary. :confused: At least you guys are safe. Is there anything you can do to protect yourself during an earthquake?

4. Emberstone

they are really freaky when your in you front door with one foot in the house, one foot on he concrete front stoop, and both are moving back and forth in opposate directions... or so my brother claims during the 6.5 quake that hit tacoma/seattle back in 2000ish.

Earthquakes are no fun. aside from aftershocks, the only one I went through was a 5.7 at 5:42 am in the top bunk of a rickety old wooden bunk bed...

WORST... SPRING... BREAK... EVA!

but beats my brother riding that quake out in a kingsized waterbed turned wavepool.

5. Tim

Tim

Brace ourselves under a sturdy table is what we were taught when we were a kid. None in my house, safest bet is to brace self on a doorframe. I skipped that and ran out back, figured if the house was falling, I'd be dead either way, at least I'd have a chance to hop the fence and live if I went out the back. (As there's nothing in our backyard except a crappy fence, and no trees nearby to fall on me :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:) Noted, it's not safe to run outside in an Earthquake, I really didn't care. I don't trust these apartments.

According to CNN, there's a 78% chance a BIGGER aftershock (as in bigger than the 6.5) will strike within the next 7 days... :tears:

EDIT: DAMN, Half of Oregon, and even as far as San Francisco felt some of it O_O

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/dyfi/events/nc/71338066/us/index.html (Be a map of where it was felt)

(Eureka is about between Arcata and Fortuna on that map)

#5 Tim, Jan 10, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2010
  6. gaz83

gaz83 Guest

i never experienced a earthquake obv cos we aint near a fault line. think it would be cool in a scary kinda way.

7. Derek the Wolf

Hope they're wrong, but just in case HANG ON and good luck. Glad to hear you're okay for the time being though.

8. Tim

Tim

A friend linked me to a video on youtube of the quake at the Arcata Co-Op (A few miles away from Eureka and further away from the epicenter).

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hx4JPMeC-xE[/youtube]

It didn't seem right, as it felt a helluva lot worse than it looked on that. Then my friend linked me to a video that the Times-Standard had (the county newspaper)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FV4EMzyJsqU[/youtube]

Shows more of what Eureka felt, though my house is about 5-10 miles closer to the epicenter than this was taken, if not more. The quake lasted longer than that though... I think that's when the camera shut down due to lack of power or something, lol.

Growing up, I was always taught, if an animal near you is acting strange and getting the hell out of the area you're in, you should probably high tail it out too, as they can sense things like earthquakes and such, a few seconds before they actually hit. I assume that guy was taught the same, as if you watch his chair, he started running too.

9. Shevanel

Wow! That dog totally knew what was going to happen. Just like they always said, about how animals know shit's gonna go down before it does.

10. Pepsi

Pepsi Guest

yeah the awesome part about that video was thew dog bolting before it started.

That must have been terrifying though. Thank whatever higher power you believe in you're okay.

11. ANightDude

Ah. These are the times I love living in Texas. I mean, the retarded government we have here is pretty scary, but still...

12. Markio

The moral is, dogs are awesome.

13. Shevanel

If this was Geometry class, and we were doing proofs, the fact that dogs are awesome is what we'd call a Given :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

14. mattypants

for me,anything over 5.9 starts to hit the danger zone. i dont think ive been in anything 6+, which i am glad for.

glad to hear you norcal guys are ok

15. Kirakishou

You know, I could have sworn this said graphs instead of proofs... >.>

16. Shevanel

I'm going to sue you for libel! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

17. RaeofLite

I'm glad you're ok. (*hug*)

But no... I didn't feel it. I guess I'm in BC... but still. I've felt things from Seattle. And yes I know California is farther than Washington.

Unfortunately, California sits atop a major fault tectonic fault line... that if it splits apart or moves parallel but in opposite directions or something else, things are going to shake up... :frowning2:

So I don't think that's the biggest one to come (unfortunately).

18. Tim

Tim

No, it isn't.

Another view of that room, in a different corner:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34aWabCkrgk[/youtube]

Damn. XD I'd hate to be the one having to clean THAT up.

Our phones are STILL out, how internet works is beyond me. It cuts out every so often though... probably when someone tries to call the house.

19. Tim

Tim

Can I move? Please?

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601103&sid=aLbxLs.pOC_g

Being woken up by ANOTHER one is just UGH. It wouldn't have been bad if like, the one in Jan. didn't hit, I was freaking out, even though it was pretty much 10 sec of really minor shaking (I woke up, thought it was ME shaking, not the ground), then a couple seconds of jerking, then another 10 seconds of minor shaking. But due to the january quake, I was just scared it would end up bigger -.-

But yea, can I move, please? At this rate, we'll have a 7.0 in March >_<

20. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hope you and your family are okay. (*hug*)

That's quite a few quakes! Are we already in that time period of the year with the possibility of heightened activity? It's odd that so far, we haven't felt any quakes (even minor ones) up on the BC coast.