1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are you gay?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by crazydude, Jan 13, 2010.

1. crazydude

So this is probably more for people who are in the closet, but I'm curious how you would respond to this question when asked? Do you completely deny it? Do you make something up? Also if you identify as bi or something else would say no I'm bi or again just deny the whole thing? I'm asked every once in awhile and I don't like to completely deny it, but at the same I'm not really ready to let people know so I usually do just say no.

2. Sicsemper79

It depends a little bit on who is asking. I have simply denied it before, however I like to think I am past that. It has been a couple of years since anyone flat out asked me.

I like to think that these days, again depending on who was asking, I would probably respond with a question; "why do you ask?". If they really pushed and I felt like it was someone who wouldn't immediately take out a billboard, I would probably either say that its not something I want to talk about with them or simply confirm it.

3. Sylver

Obviously if you're still in the closet, answering this question truthfully is the same as coming out to the person. So the question is totally tied to your "state of outness". For too long I used to deny it vigorously (which was a lie). As I started coming to terms with being gay to myself, I would try and dodge the question or give a fuzzy answer. Now as I'm more and more out, and more comfortable with being out, I'm prepared to give the correct answer - Yes.

4. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't deny it at all, but usually if someone asks if I'm seeing anyone, and they don't specify girl or boy, and I'm not I just say: nope.

5. Gaetan

Right now, it would entirely depend on who asked. If any of my family or friends asked, I would answer yes. Someone outside that, maybe a former co-worker or former classmate, I may or may not answer truthfully.

6. Rikudo

I'd have to say that I'd deny it right now. Just cause I don't feel I can handle being out right now.

7. GhostDog

Back when I was still confused/in denial/in the closet/what have you, I denied it, yes (until my best friend asked me, I can't lie to her). Or if it wasn't a direct question, and was something like, say, "Describe your ideal man", I tended to either fake it or deflect it. >.>

I like to refer to myself as queer, generally, but if I don't feel like explaining myself to someone, I'll just say I'm gay. Like, I got asked that by a bartender once, and I just answered, "Hell yes! Boobs are awesome!" I save my spiel for late-night deep conversations, because, "Yeah, I'm pretty much gay," is shorter than, "Well, I prefer women and I really see myself settling down with one in the future. I'm not really sure I'd be in a relationship with a guy but if I do find some androgynous guys attractive, so if I met one I liked I wouldn't pass up an opportunity just because I generally like women better, you know?" I just generally don't bother mentioning that I might be willing to make exceptions, unless it's someone I might be willing to make exceptions for, lest said someone get the wrong idea. =P

And honestly, most people I meet just don't care all that much!

But still, I generally prefer saying I'm a big ol' queer, since it feels less like I have to pin myself down exactly for someone else's benefit.

#7 GhostDog, Jan 13, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2010
  8. CrystalCat

I was asked that a few months ago. i said no, because i wasnt really friends with that particular person so it was none of their business. If the person asked me the same question today though i would say yes. I'm not 100% out at school but a decent amount know, if im outside of school and a person asks i will definitely say yes 100% of the time though.

9. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wouldn't deny it. I wouldn't answer flatly either. Chances are I'd ask if they were interested, I mean why else would they be asking in the first place right?

If anyone in my family asked I'd probably just say yes.

10. Daniel

"Ja. Why?"

And people are usually thrown by how I ask the why.

11. excuseyou77

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I think at this point if someone asks me, I'll just say yes.

12. SolitaryKnight

I've been asked a variation that question only once. The girl who asked me started with asking if I had a girlfriend, then she asked if I had a boyfriend, then she asked which I preferred, to which I answered "does it matter?" and she said no and humbly went on her way.

13. Zach1992

I used to deny it to everbody, but now it's just I'm asked by family or around them.

I'm open to everyone else.

14. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

"Ya....why?"

15. kettleoffish

I've not been asked that in a while.. last time I was I said no and changed the subject. I'd like to htink I'd say yes if I was asked now, but it really depends on the circumstances.

16. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Minus my parents. I just say "Yeah, your point?"

17. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nowadays, it's just "uh-huh". Like it's no big deal. 'cause it ain't.

Back in the day, whether the asker was male or female, I'd look confused and say "Are you asking me out?" or "Are you hitting on me?" That'd usually be enough to deflect the question without raising too many red flags.

Lex

18. Shevanel

"Nah, I'm bi"? I dunno, People never ask me that question xD

19. LostandFound

LostandFound Guest

I just say 'no'. I don't defend my no or say anything else.

Although I've decided that I will slowly start saying 'yes' now.

20. knight of ni

I've been asked that question a few times: twice just as I began coming out (I denied being gay, vehemently), and I think twice or three times more since then. Once I was at work, and I got asked what was on my mind, and I said it was somebody I wanted to go out with. "What's she like?" they asked. "Wrong pronoun..." I said.
    Today if I got asked that question, by anyone who has even the most remote reason to know, I would answer yes.