1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moving to Los Angeles

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by crazydude, Jan 16, 2010.

1. crazydude

Hey everyone, so I'm planning to move out to LA and was wondering what you thought of it? How is the gay community (I'm assuming people are pretty open out there)? I'm finally starting to accept myself for being attracted to guys (much thanks to this site:slight_smile:) and am hoping by moving to a new place it will allow me to be myself and open up even more. If people have any suggestions of things to do or places to go I would really appreciate your input.

I will most likely be working in the Venice area and was wondering if you had any suggestions of good areas to live in. I'm really excited about moving out there, and would like to hear the goods things but as well as the bad things. Thanks!

2. Jeimuzu

I had a friend who visited there, and said it was one sq mile of nice shops, a few sq miles of celebrities, and the rest is gangland.

Dunno how accurate it is, but was enough to put me off going, so I went San Fran instead :wink: x

3. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My favorite quotes about Los Angeles are "It's forty suburbs looking for a downtown" and "It looks like it was designed by lawyers in love". I went to college out in the LA area, and some of my friends still live out there. It can be quite pricey, and plan on driving (or sitting in traffic) a LOT. The weather is nice, though. I wouldn't mind living in the area again.

Is there any particular reason you chose LA? Nothing wrong with it, per se, but from what I've found, most towns of some size hold lots of options for people in general, and gays in particular. Denver's got a lot going on, for instance, and is a lot cheaper than LA. Not saying you shouldn't go to LA, or that you should go to Denver, but you might want to at least check out some other options in addition.

Lex

4. crazydude

The main reason why I'm choosing LA is my brother lives out there and it is easy for me to transfer my job out there. I recently came out to my brother and it has brought us much closer than we were before and we have a lot in common so I think it would be fun and a good experience to move out there.

I have definitely thought of other places such as San Diego, Denver/Boulder and Austin, TX but the key things for me are the ocean the sun and my brother.

5. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    LA Maybe isn't the best California place to move....also if that's you in your avatar well....you're really cute but walking around gang land could get you hurt since you would be considered "pretty boy".....just saying.

6. olides84

I went to university in LA. Since you will be working in Venice, then live in any one of the beach cities from Santa Monica down to Hermosa Beach. I think living close to the beach is the best choice in LA, because the weather is better (it's cooler and less smoggy), lots to do and it's got a nice vibe, and isn't as overwhelmed with traffic. If it's too expensive, you could try Culver City which is close to Venice but not a beach city.

7. Shevanel

Alright, come on, He's moving into the Venice Beach area, not Compton xD.

to the OP, I highly. Highly. Highly. Highly. Highly. Envy You. You're going exactly where I want to go. xD and when I say "exactly" I mean EXACTLY.

8. crazydude

I'll need roommates :slight_smile:

9. Phoenix

Phoenix Guest

Eh. I saw Los Angeles from a tourists perspective and it was smoggy, crowded, graffitied and looked gang infested. But those were the parts I saw. I'm sure it's like any other city though, there are bad parts and there are good parts. I liked San Diego better than LA personally.

10. Shevanel

Hey, Don't tempt me xD

11. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I live close to LA but oddly I haven't been to it much. My uncle lives out there, and his neighborhood doesn't look to be that expensive, but it's not a dangerous area he is in, so I think there is some good places to live in LA that aren't highly expensive or in gang area. Though there is some bad areas too. I saw LOTS of graffiti when I went to visit my uncle. Had to drive through the bad part. But uhh, the weather is good I guess to most people's standards (I personally prefer rainy and cold :grin:). LA is gay-friendly mostly. And you can go to West Hollywood (WEHO) with all the gay whores n hang out if u want. Uhhhhhhhhh since you said you were considering San Diego as well, I've been there some times before too (I'm in the middle between LA and San Diego), and from what I've seen it looks nicer to me than LA. But I just haven't seen really any grafitti from where I've gone. I've gone mostly to escondido and carlsbad but not rly much else... Apparently some of the places there aren't the best either though...

I think San Diego is overall nicer than LA from the LITTLE i've seen of both but I really dunno. But like if someone was gonna attack the US, they'd go for LA so your safer in SD. :grin: I'm so optimistic I know.

12. mattypants

in the venice area? thats quite nice. [LUCKY:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:]

the 'gang' area is usually south and east ends...venice falls under FAR west, which in LA, west and north means better neighbourhoods.

as for the 'gay community', im not too knowledgeable about the far west side, but compared to the east/south sides, you'll have a more pleasant time 'gaying out' :lol: . the city of west hollywood [WEHO] would be the 'gay' scene as as Austin stated. plenty of gay there :rolleyes:

13. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ah my bad lol. Well then you'll be fine :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: lol

14. iLambedil

iLambedil Guest

I lived in West Hollywood and Santa Ana (both one year each)....if you find the right people to hang out with and don't make any big mistakes with whom you date, you'll be fine...my experience of LA is that is the city of the devil and I was on a train heading straight to hell and self-destruction...but I made bad choices....LA can be nice...the only thing about LA is that NO ONE is from there...it is easy to make friends b/c everyone else has moved there from somewhere else, it's rare to meet a 2nd or even 3rd generation LAer!

15. mattypants

thats cause lots of the 2nd and 3rd move to neighbouring cities :lol: thats our sprawling suburban communities