1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Destiny and Fate?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by SolitaryKnight, Jan 16, 2010.

1. SolitaryKnight

Do you believe in destiny? Do you believe that the events in your life are fated and nothing can really alter what will happen in the course of your life? Or do you believe that opportunities must be seized whenever possible because you can never know what will happen? Is life a game of chance, or clever plot already predetermined?

How do you go about trying to conceive of an unconceivable future? Or is it even worth trying to conceive in the first place, and it is just better to let the flow of life go where must?

I think my lack of sleep today has spawned the philosopher in my soul once more.

2. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think there is a greater purpose for our existence as individuals (and yes this traces back to my faith in God), but by seizing opportunities we can make the best of things and capitalize on them. Our hardships are there as a test to see how we react to setbacks. And based upon whether or not we can overcome them we are rewarded with equally pleasurable moments of good, or in some cases opportunities to better our position in life.

I believe some people are destined for certain things, be they good or be they bad. While others are destined to be the sort of people who seize chances and change or overcome what they were destined to be.

In my opinion there is a greater plan for the overall course of events someone’s life will entail, but the responsibility rests solely upon that individual to make the most they want out of their destiny. So someone who is destined to be famous and successful but falls to a hardship or fails to take chances essential to achieving said destiny could wind up a simple hobo who wishes he/she could have been something more.

I have a similar attitude towards my own future. I feel that chances and opportunities may present themselves, but it is up to me to recognize and take them. One can’t get by on chance alone as nothing, predetermined or not, is guaranteed to anyone. Hard work and willingness to adapt and overcome difficulties is an essential part as well.

#2 Black Cat, Jan 16, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2010
  3. stratavos

oakville(college) and oshawa(hometown) ont, Canada
    influenced fate is my belief. you have many options, but each choice that is followed through with brings a different set of fates along.

----------

this is ever changing until the end btw

4. ANightDude

I think it's a mixture of both - there is always fate and destiny, but we have the ability to change things within our lives, but you can't change destiny. It'll happen one way or another. Maybe the destiny for someone is to die in a disaster done by mother nature. They are terrified of planes and them crashing, but fate claims they are supposed to die from disaster, right? Most likely in a plane crash. Instead, because they missed the plane, they die in a cruise ship sinking. It's all a matter of fate.

And no, no one knows their fate. It just happens.
    Of course, this is a bit of an opinion. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

5. Ander Blue

Copenhagen, Denmark (normally Troy, New York)
    I don't believe in a predetermined fate. I feel like we have choices in anything we do. I do believe though, that each person has a certain place in the world. They each have certain unique gifts and talents with which it is their duty to make the world a better place. Whether they choose to or not, that's their option - but I feel that they can be happy if they chose to use their gifts.

6. ANightDude

Nevermind about mine. This right here? The shizz. :slight_smile:

7. Shevanel

To a certain degree, yes. but a very certain degree, it's too difficult to explain.

8. Pepsi

Pepsi Guest

I feel that there are definitely things that are meant to happen. Events and people that are meant to be parts of our lives. I also believe however that just because something is meant to happen does not mean it will. One's destiny is not definitely fated to happen. I believe we change and control our future but I also believe that we have an intended future laid out for us.