1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fears

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Lucky Panda, Jan 18, 2010.

1. Lucky Panda

This question might have already been asked, but it's nice to re-cap every once in a while. Basically it's what the title says; fears. What are yours? Do you have any? You don't have to share. Oh, and please respect people and their fears. Thanks.

I was just curious about this a while ago when I got up to get some OJ, and I realized I was home alone... >_< I hate going into the kitchen because when you stand JUST right, you can see the mirror in the living room. I'm always afriad that I might look into the mirror and see a person's reflection; or maybe worst...

Hahahaha, anyways, I came back to the computer and realized that this would be a great story to tell, and a great question to ask.

I have 3 fears. They may seem absurd:

1) Slaughter houses. Especially unsanitary slaughter houses. Just the thought of a bloodstained room with random rusty untinsels that'll cut, chop, or slice scattered throughout, along with animal body parts makes me shudder... >_<

2) I have this weird fear of wakin up and no one knowing me. o_o...

3) Last but not least, Stephan Gammel. I'm not sure if that's how you spell his name, but I'm not going to google it and check, because then I'd be scared. XD Pretty much, his artwork gets to me. He does the illustrations for "Scary Stories To Tell In The Dark". The stories themselves are not at the least frightening. But the pictures... >_<

Anywho... Now I've gone and scared myself. XD

2. Aoifeee

Ooooh I like this thread already! :slight_smile: I'm pretty much terrified of everything...i'll just list a few...XD

Flying - Not only only flying itself but loved ones flying too. My hands sweat and Im getting shocks down my wrists from anxiety even typing this! Mostly fear of crashing but also the fear of the fear I would experience in an emergency inflight...My sister's flying back to NY right now and I'm scared her plane will crash.

Sharp and potentially lethal things that are out in the open - Scissors, knives, broken glass, guns etc... When I see them I immediatly imagine the worst case scenario...like..if theres a broken vase in front of me I'll be terrified of slipping and falling eyeball first into it in an instant and panic 'til it's gone XD

Being struck down by a debilitating mental/physical illness
    - Speaks for itself :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3. RaeofLite

Being alone - I never used to feel this but I think it was because I was so depressed, I was used to my own company and never was accustomed to feeling prolonged periods of happiness or amazing friendship. But now that I do feel happy and have good friendships and am busy doing things, I... fear being alone too long and growing old alone. :frowning2:

That I may die before I finish all my goals/dreams - I don't know. I have a lot of dreams where I seem to die or 'almost die' and that scares me because I have so many things I want to accomplish before I die. I have a Bucket List over 100. :lol:

4. Katherine

The land of rednecks and pine trees (Georgia)
    Oh boy, where to begin....

Doctors (and dentists). I hate everything about them. The smell of medicine and rubbing alcohol makes me sick to my stomach.

Needles. More specifically, medical syringes. I still get REALLY creeped out every time I have to get a vaccine or a shot. This kinda ties in to my fear of doctors and/or dentists.

The dark. I hate not being able to see what's going on around me.

Becoming blind. This is honestly one of my worst fears about the future. I don't know how I'd live if I were blind. I mean, it'd still be bad if I lost some other sense, but my sight is extremely important to me.

Falling from a great height. I get nauseous whenever I look down from any height over maybe 20 feet.

Knowing I'm going to die before I actually do. This one is weird, but it's one of my biggest phobias. I do not EVER want to know I'm going to die before it happens. I would rather just kill myself then instead of having to wait.

5. Snakes. Need I say more?

Embarrassment. Yeah. It literally scares me. For example, if I've just met someone, I won't use his/her name until I'm 110% sure I know it. I'd die if I called someone by the wrong name.

Motor vehicles on steep hills. I just picture the car/tractor/lawn mower/whatever rolling over all the way down the hill. Even if I know that the hill isn't steep enough for that or the weight distribution of the vehicle makes rolling a particular direction impossible.

Helplessness/entrapment. Basically, anything that takes away my independence or mobility, like enclosed spaces, paralysis, mental disease like Alzheimer's, etc.

6. SaturdaySaviour

Heights. I hate them. There's no way I'm going to stand on the edge of something taller than a meter. Well, it's less of a problem if there's a fence, because it makes me feel more secure.

Big bugs and crabs freak me out...

Whenever I'm walking down a dark street at night.. alone, of course, I have this awkward feeling that there's somebody behind me.

And my worst fear - I'm afraid of something bad happening to my close family members and friends, or my home being robbed, burnt down, etc. ... :icon_sad:

7. donnie5

tight enclosed spaces, and swimming in water I can't see through (lakes, rivers, oceans)

8. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

Gammell actually has two L's. Your description got me interested, so I decided to take a look up his art, and that's how Google says it is spelled.

Both of those are the same for me. When I am in the dark, I always imagine the worst about what could be in there with me. For some reason, all of those fears dissipate immediately when I am under the sheets of my bed. As for being blind, pandamonium summed it up pretty well; I really don't know how I could live if I were blind; my current lifestyle is just too dependent on my eyesight.

I have one more that no one else has said: falling down stairs. I don't know why, but I am really afraid of falling down when I go down them. Going up is fine, since if I fall forward (as I likely will), it won't be as long of a fall. But God help me if I need to go down stairs and there isn't a railing to grab on to. I've had some scares in the recent past where I tripped while going down stairs, and the only reason I wasn't hurt was that I was holding on to the railing and caught myself. They were quite terrifying, regardless. In the less recent pass, I have fallen down stairs without being able to catch myself, and I was hurt pretty badly each time.

Edit: I forgot to add that I am very squeamish around insects, to the point of fear. I can't even see insect on TV without getting squeamish, and if I get any sort of sensation on my skin while watching these shows that even slightly resembles something crawling on me, I'll jump right out of my seat.

9. SolitaryKnight

Spiders ugly, eight legged atrosities. I don't mind if they are outside, but if I see them in my apartment, squish.

10. gaz83

gaz83 Guest

im not really that scared of things.

Flying - i have flown and hated it but i could fly again.
    Spiders - i dont like them running around but i can catch em in a tub and put em outside no bother. wouldnt wanna kill em.
    Snakes - i just dont like em.

11. Daniel

I am mysophobic, entomophobic and phonophobic.

Translated-afraid of dirt (compulsive hand washing), fear of certain insects (butterflies, moths, grasshoppers and ants) and fear of loud noises (literally people yelling).

Each has to do with something that horrified me as a child. The reactions are everything from calmly removing myself from a situation to literally breaking down and crying.

:grin:

12. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Crowds. If I'm caught in the middle of a crowd, it takes serious effort and concentration to stop myself from hyperventilating, and in the past I've gone into full-on panic attacks when in really dense crowds. I don't even like sitting in the middle of a row in the movies, I have to be on the aisle or one of only a few people in a row.

13. jazzrawr

I'm scared of fire. Most of my nightmares have been centered around being burned alive or my house burning down. :/ I literally start to hyperventilate if I'm too close to a campfire, and I can't have candles burning unless I'm in the same room.
    Also, betrayal. It's hard for me to get really close to people because I'm always afraid they don't care as much as I do. Maybe that's because all my friends tend to backstab each other.

14. Apocalypte

Heights. Being up high, climbing things, looking down on things from a long way up - it all scares the crap out of me. Related to that is a fear of falling.

I'm scared of the medical profession in general. I need some dental work done, and I have a fairly urgent reason to go and see a doctor, yet I'm avoiding it. My last doctor visit was pretty awful though.

15. Sylver

Flying - I flew to Chicago on Sunday (where I'm at today), and I'll be flying back home next weekend. God I hate flying!!!!!!!

Heights - Totally petrified of heights. I can't even talk about it right now...

Luckily that's all!

16. Étoile

The dark That feeling of not being able to see anything freaks me out.

Home invasions It the ultimate invasion (no pun intended) of privacy. I mean, your home is your escape from the world, where you're supposed to be 100% safe. I mean, if you aren't safe in your own home, where can you be?

Driving The thought of getting into a car accident upsets me.

17. Ander Blue

Copenhagen, Denmark (normally Troy, New York)
    Falling I hate falling, the idea of falling, and possibility of falling. I'm freaked out to bungie jump. I avoid ledges, because I can't help but feel what it would be like to fall from them. Sometimes I do torture myself with roller coasters though - however, the clicking sound before big drops gives me near-panic attacks.

Sharks I HATE SHARKS. Keep them away from me. They're only good if they're served on a plate.

Riding as a passenger in cars Unless you are an extremely safe driver, riding with you is going to freak me out.

My usual response to fear is to seize up, and pretty much just stop breathing.

18. zzzero

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Dieing in a car related accident! If I dont know you and i'm in the car with you, i'll be an awful backseat driver. Also, If I look like i'm not freaking out, it's because i'm too busy SCREAMING on the inside.

Sexual advances from women
    I know it sounds crazy but when girls hit on me I just seize up and try to get out of the situation as fast as possible. Sometimes they dont get the message...

Being lonely
    I like to be around people, though not always interracting with them. I just like them to be around me so life is a little interesting. I'm terrified to be in a situation where I dont have anyone to talk to or just be around.

#18 zzzero, Jan 18, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2010
  19. Shevanel

[​IMG]

Lederhosen. v_v Don't Ask.

20. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As well as the crowds thing I mentioned before, I'm actually legitimately freaked out by David Gest. I don't know why, but he creeps me the hell out.
    [​IMG]