1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dan Savage

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by iLambedil, Jan 20, 2010.

1. iLambedil

iLambedil Guest

Is there anyone familiar with Dan Savage? Anyone read his column, "Savage Love" or listen to his podcast, "Savage Lovecast"? I'm a devout listener of the Lovecast and listen to it every week! I think Dan Savage is HILARIOUS! He sometimes strikes a cord with me and I totally don't agree with him, but the majority of the time I think he gives pretty good advice! I recently just listened to an episode where a 24 yr old gay man called in with Lou Gherig's Disease (ALS). This disease basically destroys your nerves and you lose feeling throughout your whole body in stages and die within two years. This guy calling in was looking for love and didn't want to be alone when he died. I was so heart broken and it is the first time I've cried actual tears of sadness while listening to Dan Savage. Most of the time I'm crying tears of laughter. If you haven't listened to him, look him up on itunes! He works for "The Stranger" alternative newspaper in Seattle Washington! He is married to a man and has a kid and definitely has a lot to say about homosexuality and politics!

#1 iLambedil, Jan 20, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2010
  2. RaeofLite

Yep. :slight_smile: A few users on EC have posted some of his youtube clips in the Great Thread of Support in the LGBT Rights forum.

3. Jame

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Love Dan Savage haven't listened to his podcast(although I probably will after reading your post) but ive been reading his articles everyweek<3 Defo recommend people to check this man out.

4. simpleguy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Dan Savage is hilarious! I read his column every week religiously. I also love how he sabotaged Rick Santorum's political career. Genius!

5. BrownBoi89

I don't listen to his podcasts but I always read his column "Savage Love" every week. And I think I agree with his advice almost all the time, there's a case here and there but rarely do I disagree. He came to UBC to give a talk and I went! It was awesome! It was basically like "Savage Love" but in person. People had written down their questions and he basically spent the entire time reading and answering them, and he would go off on tangents and talk about something related to people's questions sometimes. But I wish more people in the audience had asked questions, because they only asked questions about him rather than asking for advice. Oh well it was good to see him in person at least once.

6. iLambedil

iLambedil Guest

You definitely need to listen to the Lovecast! People call in and leave him voice messages about their problems. Most of the time he just gives the advice back, but sometimes he actually calls the people back! It's totally awesome!

----------

If you're stuck in a relationship quandary or if you're looking for sexual harmony....There's nothing you can't ask.....on the Savage Love-cast.....

7. zzzero

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I LOVE DAN SAVAGE. I think he's really great, and hillarious. I can relate to him as I am also opinionated on many things and usually I would give the same advice he gives. Dan Savage can be kindof an asshole to some people, and I really like that. Not enough people tell it like it is. I used to listen to the Savage Lovecast at work (with headphones of course) and I miss it so much, I havent listened to it in a long time.

8. Greggers

I wanted to go to that at UBC but i could not get out to the campus :frowning2:

*cough* anyways, yea, like most people have said i agree with him on most things, but i disagree with a decent amount of stuff. I still love him, because he does not claim to be some all knowing god. He is very funny and witty though, and always good for a laugh. My sister actually told me about him when i came out to her last year. She now lives in Seattle, so i find myself reading more of the stranger since its Seattle based. But yea, Dan is amazing and a good role model (for the most part :wink: haha)

*cough* also, does anyone think he is SMOKING hot? I find him very very attractive...

9. zzzero

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    He also does some things for "This American Life" Which is an AMAZING radio show!

10. iLambedil

iLambedil Guest

Yeah! THIS AMERICAN LIFE IS MY ALL TIME FAVORITE PODCAST! I love to listen to TAL and also The Economist! I secretly think Ira Glass is a big ol fag and Dan Savage, being SO against monogamy, is doing Ira on the side!!

I don't however think that Dan Savage is that hot. Sometimes he is hot, but most of the time he isn't. His voice gets on my nerves. I love Ira Glass' voice! I love listening to him. That is why it takes me forever to get through a TAL podcast as I always fall asleep to Ira's amazingly soothing voice!

11. JB1986

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Oh how I love Dan Savage. I admire his wit, intelligence, and his ability to tell it like it is. I do listen to his Podcasts on Itunes, and I have read the four books he's written, "Savage Love" (a collection of some of what he's written for the Savage Love column), "The Kid," "Skipping Towards Gomorrah," and "The Commitment." I've also signed up for his Youtube video channel. He's a very dynamic and engaging speaker. I also loved the CNN clip where he ripped this conservative a-hole to shreds. Classic. :slight_smile:

Don't worry Greggers, I think he's hot too. In fact, I did post a picture of him in the "Hot Guy Game" a few months back. There's something about him that I personally find attractive.

12. BrownBoi89

How often does Lovecast come out? I know Savage Love comes out every Thursday and I read it right away.

----------

Savage Love is also in the Georgia Straight too! So you can read it in a Vancouver based newspaper if you want. And I too think he is hot :wink:

13. Jame

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Podcast is out every week on tuesday

14. BrownBoi89

Thanks! :icon_bigg And which website?

15. Jame

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
  16. BrownBoi89

17. Sylver

Heh, I just found out that Dan Savage is speaking in person at our university today (we do have a very progressive university! :sunglasses:). I'll have to see if I can still get in.

18. Sylver

So I just spent 90 minutes listening to Dan Savage answer questions at the University of Manitoba.

Oh... My... God...

That was 90 minutes well spent! This guy is funny as hell, and nothing is off limits. The only thing I couldn't understand was why there were no protesters outside, because if anyone is pushing the buttons of conservative homophobe America it's this guy. Phelps family, where were you?!?

One thing I really like about Dan Savage is how he treats sexuality as a single continuum, where gay and straight sex are just shades of the same thing, sort of like different flavors of ice cream but still ice cream. By treating them equally he makes me feel equal with the straight world, and that's a feeling I don't get too often. So I'm really glad I went.

I wish everyone could hear the answer he gave to the very last question about "reparative therapy" (I had never heard of this before, but it's the idea that homosexuals can be "repaired" and returned to heterosexuality through "therapy"). He was so damn passionate with his answer that it moved every single one of the couple of hundred people that attended, gay and straight. They were making a video of the whole thing so I hope they put this on YouTube so everyone can see it.

19. mattypants

me *raises hand*

definitely easy on the eyes :lol:

20. BrownBoi89

Yeah when he came to UBC they filmed the whole thing too. And of course there were no protesters! You're in Winnipeg, Canada! No one protests homosexuality here :grin: