1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ideas?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by OontzOontzOontz, Jan 21, 2010.

1. OontzOontzOontz

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm writing an argumentative essay for my senior English class (high school). I'm writing about homosexuality being genetic. So far I have two main points:

- The majority of homosexuals say they never chose to be gay.
    - Scientific evidence suggests a genetic link.

I need a third, solid point that won't overlap my other points. Ideas please? I'm sure there's an obvious point that I'm not seeing, but I'm running on five hours of sleep today. :bang:

2. crazydude

This probably isn't a 3rd but something worth mentioning or bringing up is the question do heterosexuals choose to be straight? I feel like most homophobic people don't think about that they just assume that being gay is a choice when in reality no one chooses their sexual orientation.

3. LostandFound

LostandFound Guest

Not all scientific journal articles say homosexuality is genetic and you might be better to argue something like homosexuality is biologically engrained in an individual. Some articles say it has to do with the environment of the womb, at least in some people. This doesn't make it any less of a choice but it is something biological but not genetic that you could write about. Twin studies, while showing a strong genetic component in the development of homosexuality also indicate that environment plays a role (ie. it's not nature vs. nurture, but both interacting - which is the case with everything!) and this 'environment' could be anything from the womb to the context in which the child grew up, all of these interacting with the genetics of the individual. But again, this doesn't make it any less of a choice or any more 'changeable'.

4. OontzOontzOontz

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Dang. -_-'

I'll probably end up changing my topic. We have to choose from a list of prepared topics. :/

5. GhostDog

How rigidly do you have to follow the topic? You could start your paper by saying something along the lines of, "Scientists have suggested homosexuality may be genetic", but discuss more specific research that points to there being a few potential causes in your paper. Then maybe conclude with the fact that though genetics may be an influence, it may not be the only factor, and it would be more accurate to say homosexuality is likely influenced by a number of involuntary factors?

I don't know, I'm not sure what format you're being made to work with here. Do you have to pick a position and argue for that position, or are you give a statement to prove or deny, or is it more of a "here is a topic, do some research and write a paper about it"? Unless it's the first, I'm pretty sure you could still do it. =P

6. OontzOontzOontz

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We get a list of topics to choose from. Each topic has a pro/con side to take. I might be able to get a little leniency.

7. GhostDog

I'd ask your teacher about it! I mean, I'm pretty sure arguing for "homosexuality is most likely caused by a number of involuntary factors, including genetics" is pretty close to arguing for "homosexuality is genetic". It's slightly more accurate, if anything. =P

8. OontzOontzOontz

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    She said it was alright for me to use the combination of factors, as long as I make my paper more interesting than the kid who wrote about it in one of her first semester classes.