1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Accents!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by RCooper, Jan 22, 2010.

1. RCooper

I was doing some research into accents for my Anthro class, and I started to wonder what kind of accents people have here? I am from CT, and at least in my area we don't really have any distinguishing feature.

2. endless poetry

haha that means you're General American or close

I speak Canadian English which is General American with slight differences and butter tarts (YAY BUTTER TARTS)

but ya I can't imitate an Irish or Scottish accent x.x
    I know what an Aussie accent is to sound like but it doesn't come out right when I try to say it...

3. Shevanel

I'm from Long Island NY xD 'nuff said. Apparently mine isn't as strong as others though, but take me away from the Tri-state area, and I stick out like a sore thumb xD

And before anyone says it, There is no such thing as accentless. Everyone has an accent.

4. I have a pretty much generic white boy American accent -__-

5. Sylver

Talk about timely. I'm a canuck and I'm in Chicago right now. I was talking to someone today and he said I had a Canadian accent. I didn't even know Canadians had accents, but I guess everyone that doesn't sound exactly like you sounds like they have an accent.

6. Rikudo

Although I've basically lost my Spanish accent I still tend to roll my R's even when speaking English.

7. Johnnieguy

I'm from Minnesota and have the most flat, boring, and uninteresting dialect in the world. Now, go up north by Canada or North Dakota and you'll here the stereotypical "Fargo" accent!

8. RAJ Aladdin

RAJ Aladdin Guest

Ha ha!!!! Best thread ever:

I have the "North American accent" (?) LOL BUT I do a kick ass;

1) Australian
    2) New Zealand
    3) English proper
    4) Russian
    5) German
    6) Southern accent (Georgia)
    7) New Orleans

!!!!!! LOL! My imaginary selves are way cooler than me LOL!

9. Zumbro

According to some poll, I have the Inland North American accent. So the Wisconsin, Chicago, Southern MN accent. Dictionary english, with some strange vowels. Makes sense considering it's the area I grew up in.

10. mattypants

its true. usually, accentless is what the general public uses to what is a "standard" american accent in the us, or Received pronunciation in england. english speakers can use this as a sort of guide to what accent they would belong to.

i myself have a more of the unheard california accent.

11. Andromeda

Andromeda Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I want a British accent

12. Nodnarb

I have just the General American Accent. According to Wikipedia, I live in the small area of the country (parts of Nebraska, Missouri, and Illinois, and most of Iowa) where "the local accent is largely free of regional features." I know that telemarketing is a huge business in Omaha because companies like the way we speak around here(and the fact that we have enough patience to deal with idiots...).

That said, in my hometown we have a few little things we don't pronounce the "right" way. The most common is saying "crick" instead of "creek". Some people have issues with saying "warsh" instead of "wash", but I blame that on the influence from Missouri. I have found that a lot of people in central Iowa pronounce the word "bag" very strangely. Sort of like "beyg". I'm quite proud of the fact that I speak English the way it's supposed to be spoken, without any of those little regional quirks.

13. Ben

Ben

I have a British West Country accent.
    According to Wikipedia, people with my accent have long "been associated with farming and, as an effect, with lack of education and rustic simplicity".

14. AllSmiles

Haha, Ben :grin:

I have a Danish accent when speaking English, I simply hate it :dry:

When speaking Danish, though, I have a Jutlandic (apparently that's what it's called in English) accent. Which is the best accent ever. Jutlandic accent > Copenhagen accent

15. Connor22

I have an ulster scotts accent :frowning2: basically everything with an r in it comes from somewhere in you're lower intestine, that or (like one of my friends does) you replace every r with a w. Could be worse. I could have a ballymena accent *shudder*

16. partietraumatic

Well i come from Oxford, which is fairly posh, so i have pretty much no accent. Obviously that doesn't mean no accent...that just means i don't speak with any particular recognised regional accent. To an American i probably sounds like the very stereotypical english accent like Hugh Grant :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: tho to an english ear its not as posh.

Tho i also find that my accent changes a bit depending on who i'm around. If i'm around people who speak fairly poshly my accent will become posher, but when im around my friends from Uni, who are from all around the country, the posh edges kinda get knocked off. Tho to someone who wasn't from england, there probably isnt a noticeable difference :slight_smile:

17. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I checked to see what Wiki has to say about Australian accents, and I'm probably closest to Cultivated Australian. Which means a lot of Australians think I'm British.

18. NickT

Being from KY, it's kinda impossible for me to not pick up some sort of southern accent, though I try my hardest to not do that. >>; My mom says I have the "Southern I" sound...

19. Ander Blue

Copenhagen, Denmark (normally Troy, New York)
  20. EM68

I'm from Boston so I have a New England/ Boston accent. We hardly pronounce r's. Its the wicked best accent eva. :grin: