1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apple? PC? Linux? (Unix?)

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by iLambedil, Jan 25, 2010.

1. iLambedil

iLambedil Guest

Hey! I'm not sure if this has been posted before but I did a search and couldn't find anything so I just wanted to know what type of person are you? Do you have a mac (what version of OSX)? Do you use a PC (which version of Windows)? Do you use a Linux (or Unix even?)

I'm a mac person and always have been. My dad actually owns stock in Apple and we have always used apples! I cannot stand PCs and I have never understood why people would use them as they seem like they are more trouble and work than it is worth! I know so many people who say they would never ever EVER have a mac and then they switch from PC to mac and swear by it later! (I won't even talk badly against Linux as I don't understand it enough to say so.) I was trained to work on a Unix Sun System computer but it just completely sucked and I forget all of the linux/unix codes!

I currently have a macbook (it's old) with Tiger OSX 1.4 (haven't gotten the upgrade yet) and I also have Parallels where I can run Windows Vista if I want (which rarely ever happens, but microsoft does still have a monopoly) and also I have a simulator to run Ubuntu.

2. Zumbro

I've got a Lenovo Thinkpad, upgraded to Windows 7 (which is wonderful). I'm one of those people that could never use a mac, or any apple products. From what I've seen they are expensive and don't last very long, and are hard to fix if there are errors. Plus, as an engineer, a lot of programs I need are not for macs. More than anything the one-button mouse bothers me though:dry:

3. Apocalypte

Mac and Unix all the way. I use a 3 year old Macbook Pro as my primary machine, my download box at home is running Ubuntu and I've got an old dead iBook G4 around somewhere at home too.

4. xequar

I'm a PC user.

I tried Ubuntu, but truthfully, I don't care enough to learn how to run it. I'm not interested in computers enough to want to invest that much time learning it or the other flavors of Linux. They are cool, and I wholeheartedly support those who use Linux, but it's just not for me.

Fuck Mac. Once upon a time they may have been something special, but now they're just a gussied-up PC that costs entirely too much money. Besides that, Mac-heads give the entire franchise a bad name. Why is it that owning a Mac turns so many people into elitist pricks? For reals, your computer looks cool but does the same thing mine does, except not as well because most software is written for Windows, with Mac as an afterthought, and that's if they even bother in the first place.

PC-sure they have problems, but Windows really did democratize technology and the computing experience. Without Windows, far fewer people would be using computers, as, regardless of how they got there, Windows got to market first and made the computing experience accessible to the masses.

5. pianomike

I use Mac mostly due to my love for Final Cut Studio but i also love not have a broken computer.

6. Sylver

I'm in the PC camp, for better or worse, and almost always with Dell computers. I used XP for a long time and I really liked it. I'm now on Windows 7 for a month, and so far it seems to be OK. It also depends on what you're using your computer for. I do a lot of programming and Apple is not a very friendly platform for development; Microsoft is supportive of third party developers and they have lots of great tools, most of them free. I also think Intel makes the best processors.

By the way, I strongly suspect that Mac's reputation as a trouble-free computer is little more than a very effective marketing campaign from Apple. I think if you actually looked at the MTBF (mean time between failures) of PCs versus Macs you'd find them to be about the same. Maybe Microsoft programs aren't quite as user-friendly as Apple's, but as a techno-geek I feel that Microsoft "understands me" better than Apple. After all, Bill Gates was the original nerd!! :icon_cool

7. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I use PCs and Linux boxes but will before long be switching to Macs.

I think hardware wise that PCs are probably (if the hardware is of decent quality) just as reliable as Macs... however, I think the software is a completely different animal. My PCs are always having some sort of problems, doing weird things, applications crashing or behaving unexpectedly and inconsistently.

For crying out loud, it's a *computer* and it's digital... it should do everything exactly the same way every time... but it doesn't.

Now my Linux boxes (web servers) are almost 100% reliable and trouble free. Never need rebooting, almost never crash, you install an update or something and it... just works.

Why in the heck Microcoft cannot produce software that's reliable, stable, relatively bug free, reasonably secure, and works, when all it does is software (i.e., doesn't make hardware) is simply beyond me. I can see the argument that Windows has to run on a bazillion different platforms and so is more complex, but they could make one version that only runs on specific hardware and is ultra-reliable... but they don't. And from what I understand, even the Hackintosh OS is far, far more stable, running on all the motherboards it does, than Windows.

Sigh.

8. pteen

I'm a windows person, its cheaper to me. And on top of that my dad is a microsoft partner. But ive decided to give mac a try. I think i'll probably get a mac computer and see if i can install a windows OS , so i'll hav both on it. I think windows would work better on a mac because the hardware is better.

9. L|L

L|L

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've used every version of windows from 2.0 and currently run Windows7 on the desktop, and XP on the ancient laptop.

On others in my house, I've CentOS and Solaris running.

I still have a box running MSDOS 6.22 :love:

I'll save my mac comentary for another time.

10. Gaetan

I have some Macs still running MacOS 6. Yes, the X in MacOS X is the roman numeral for 10. I still very much miss the best operating system ever made: MacOS 7.

Though, my current machines are Windows XP and MacOS 10.4.11

11. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

This has been posted a few times. I love Ubuntu with GNOME, though I use Windows 7 mostly because of it's application compatibility (I hate using WINE).

I hate the Mac OS X graphical user interface.

12. xequar

Macs run the same hardware as PCs do now, right down to the Intel processors. Five years ago, Macs ran their own hardware, and 10 years ago, Macs were actually faster than PCs. Now, Macs are nothing but gussied-up PCs running a different OS so that their owners can still feel special.

Ubuntu is a neat OS, and for a lot of the simple-type stuff I do, it worked pretty well, actually. But, because I wasn't installing stuff regularly and the like, I'd learn how to do something, and then I'd forget by the next time I went to do it. I thought about putting Ubuntu on my laptop, but I decided that I like Photoshop and the ease of Windows too much to make Ubuntu my only OS.

13. ArcaneVerse

Pretty much that^.

Windows has its problems yes but mostly things only go wrong when people don't look after their system or when people really don't know what the fuck they are doing (Windows 7 is meant to be better about bugs n what not). & just about all of the problems that go wrong with windows\PC's can and do go wrong with Mac's just not as often but then again PC's run a whole lot that Macs Cant.

Id rather spend less money on better or equal quality hardware then pay way too much for something you cant upgrade later down the track.

And there are just as many people switching or have switched to windows from mac or people who have tried a mac and went fuck no gimme a PC, people will like what they like.

14. kettleoffish

I don't know how many times this has been asked.. but it's a lot.

I use Mac OS X (10.5) on my primary laptop, and on my recording iMac, as well as the family media iMac. I use Windows XP Tablet Edition on my school tablet.

And I use OS X 10.3 (occasionally) on the old iMac in the garage if I just want to listen to a few tunes while I'm building or fixing something, but normally I just take my iPod and plug into my PA.

15. Derek the Wolf

This has been posted many times yus

I have a macbook pro with OS X Leopard dual-booting Windows XP Professional

16. -Michael-

I use to Vista desktop to fill up with garbage. And use VMware to test a LOT of linux distros.
    I have my netbook running ubuntu NBR 9.04
    But i'm thinking of putting of Kubuntu on it seeing as I MUCH prefer KDE to Gnome.

I'm not much of a unix fan.
    It just seems a lacky in my opinion.
    Even though it's perfectly sufficient.

17. joshhunt

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am and forever will be a Mac.

The whole 'experiance' of using a Mac is just so unified, right down to the single, solid aluminium shell that my Macbook is encased in.

The software is also very consistent as well. Because of the Cocoa UI framework that Apple has supplied, the UI is so very consistent. In every text box in the operating system, you have access to the spell checker, dictionary and just neat functions, such as command + a (to select all the contents of the text box). ctrl + a works in some text boxes in Windows computers, but not others.

And because of these wonderful APIs and frameworks that Apple has developed, developers have created some truely wonderfull applications. Versions is the best SVN client ever, and Textmate is a pleasure to use. Whoever said that OS X is not very developer friendly obviously has not spent that much time developing on/for OS X. The XCode IDE (provided by Apple on the OS X install DVD) is very powerful, and Interface Builder is an amazing tool.

I also appreciate the though and effort that went into the design of my Macbook. I am typing this post on a $3500 Windows laptop, and the chassis is plastic. That is not really what I had in mind for a high end laptop. The whole Macbook just feels so... sturdy. It is solid. It is carved from a single piece of metal.

Another thing that Apple has gotten right (on the Macbook) is the trackpad. OH MY GOD. It is seriously the best trackpad ever to see the light of day. Words cannot describe just how good it is. Considering the use I get out of, it in itself justifies the $1000 premium that the Macbook attracts. Again, the trackpad on the laptop I am using now is 3/4ths of the size of the one on my Macbook, and it is made from some crazy rough stuff and it honestly is a pain to use.

Having used linux, I love the fact that OS X is based upon BSD, so I have the full power of unix tools in Terminal, whereas in Windows, there is no such thing. I have heard of Powershell, but that is more of an addon. A hack to provide more sophistication. OS X is no hack.

In the end, it (obviously) comes down to what you prefer and/or can afford. When I first bought my Macbook i was very scared about wasting all my money on such an expensive laptop, but, as time passed, I realised that I had bought the best laptop ever at a bargain price.

18. adam88

THIS (I know, cliche. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:)

I bought my Macbook Pro for 3 reasons:
    1. OS-X (amazing interface, stable, fast)
    2. Amazing hardware that is integrated with the OS (go-to-sleep and wake-up in seconds, nice screen, lit-up keyboard)
    3. That amazing glass trackpad.

Though I agree that macs aren't the be-all-end-all, many games and software are afterthoughts. For example, the mac version of Sims 3? Runs in a Windows Virtual Machine. :frowning2:

19. lordjord96

windows 7, but some times, Linux.

20. starfish

Funny that this has come up. My MacBook Pro went casters up today.

Not too sure what I am going to do. I've been thinking of switching over to a Lenovo ThinkPad running Fedora 12.

I think I know what the problem is, but it also has a bum optical drive and a display is flaky. I was really hoping that Apple would announce new laptops with the i7 processor.