1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unemployed

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Johnnieguy, Jan 26, 2010.

1. Johnnieguy

Okay, so I graduated from college in May 09 with my BA in Biology, and was accepted to a PhD program (2 as a matter of fact, but the one that I really wanted to attend..U of MN Twin Cities didn't have the $$ to pay for my stipend and tuition waiver, so I ended up at NDSU who did have the $$).

The work was...not fun. I loved the classes, but I hated being in a lab (being alone all the time and never, ever having anything do what it was supposed to do). In addition, Fargo, ND isn't the most accepting of towns, and so there weren't many places I could go to meet guys. I joined the Ten Percent Society and met some awesome gays there, and we even went to the local gay bar once (but it is only open on Fridays and Saturdays which I find odd). But, still, I couldn't bear the thought of being there, alone, for 4-6 years (depending on how long it would take my research to succeed). Then, there is the matter of post-docs, which would require me to move to other, less than desirable towns..Laramie, WY....Brookings, SD......Aberdeen, ID.......Lincoln, NE....Urbana, IL...etc All rural, small, homophobic towns. Then, I would need to relocate again for a faculty job...Years and years of constantly moving, never being able to put down roots let alone find a relationship.

So, I packed up and moved back home w/ the parents in the Twin Cities so I can find a job here..I have only been looking for about a month. I have only gotten an interview with Applebee's, which I didn't get..not that I'm upset about it..I didn't really want it, and a salaried job would be preferable since I did spend $120,000 to get my BA in the first place (I only owe $17,000 now)

Has anyone else experienced this? You thought you knew what you wanted, but then after making huge life changes to pursue something (like a career), you realized it was all a horrible mistake?

2. Sylver

I have to say that no moves in your career path should ever be seen as a "horrible mistake". It may sound cliche but they are all learning experiences. You've discovered that this path isn't for you, and now you're free to try a different path. Sometimes you have to try a few different possibilities before you get it right.

It sounds like you've invested a lot into your education, so I wouldn't be too quick to throw it all away for Applebee's. A BA can be a doorway into other career paths. Are you totally done with school, or are you willing to pursue more schooling? Are you looking for a career now, or is this job you're looking for right now a bridge to maybe more college or some other opportunities?

Personally (as long as circumstances permit) I see nothing wrong with you taking a year or two off school to put the Fargo experience behind you and to regain your perspective. Get a bridge job to build up some money and take advantage of the time to sort out what you want to do in your life. I've always thought that it's a big enough decision to warrant all the time you need to think it through. You'll also need to find the proper balance between career and social life; the two need to be in sync or you won't be happy. All of these need to be weighed carefully.

I took 3 years of engineering in college (out of a 4-year program) but I was very disillusioned with parts of it. With only 1 year to go, I instead dropped out of school and went to work at Burger King (my parents were IRATE to say the least), not because that was my chosen career path but because I needed to get my head clear. It worked; a couple of years later I returned to a different college and graduated and went on to the workforce knowing that I was doing something I liked. Today I run my own business in the same field and I'm still doing what I like!

I said this in another similar thread - it is NEVER too late to change what you want to do for your career. And it's OK to either rewind and start right back at the beginning, or to take what you've achieved to date and make a "course correction" in your career path. Rework it until you get it right and you're happy with what you're doing.

3. mischa91

I have a BSc in Biology and moved to a different country to pursue a career in that field only to find any jobs i wanted here needed more school (which i can't afford). My chosen career path of zoology won't accept me into a graduate program (lack of places where i applied) so instead i'm stuck floating round in a job that bores me.

The thing is i'm willing for more school but money and financial responsibilities are making it difficult.

i think you're in a great position. you've learnt early on that your chosen path isn't for you so now you can reevaluate and start looking for something your passionate about. Just give yourself time to think about it and be open about trying new things and applying for jobs you didn't necessarily think about. Also, try applying for jobs that might give you an opportunity to gain experiences future employers might look for, like leadership and all that. If you can stay with your parents and keep costs down you might also consider volunteering, it might lead to something good.

4. Johnnieguy

I am thinking of going back to school..possibly for nursing, but more likely, my MBA..But that requires me to work in the business world for a few years, which I am okay with, because I want to start saving up some money to buy a house.

I've been applying to Applebee's and other similar places as just a short-term solution to my need to make money..Place where I won't work full time and will still have time to search for a job that requires a BA. My reasoning is that they expect high-turnover and it won't be a big deal for me to quit after working there for only 3 or 4 months (the time I expect it will take me to find a job).

Volunteering is something else that I am considering.. I am worried more about having a gap in my employment history than I am about monetary gain (at leas in the short term).

Thanks everyone.

5. Sylver

These days a "gap" in your employment history is 12+ months; anything less is almost normal with the job situation where it is. It would make more sense to take something like Applebee's to generate some income, or to keep mentally active and upbeat about the job search. I'm also a big fan of volunteering - it always looks good on a resume because it shows initiative.