1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I look like your average african american right?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Mind Freak, Jan 27, 2010.

1. Mind Freak

I think I look like an average black guy. But apparently people seem to think that I'm mixed with some other race for some reason. Lol.

Today some guy my group of friends were talking with asked me where I was from, where my parents were from, and then if I was regular black. Or something like that. And I was like "What?" confused. And he goes. "What are your parents." and I'm like they're black. And he asks me if they mixed with anything. Lol. They're not btw. Well my dad says we're part creole but that's barely worth mentioning because it's like eons down the line. Lol.

Maybe he was just trying to make small talk but that's happened to me a few times and it never ceases to amaze me. Do I look like something else to you or are these people just confused?

2. Hoppip

I'd seize the opportunity to fabricate outrageous lies about my lineage.

"I'm only black on my great grandpa's side. The rest of my family is from Slovenia."

3. Ander Blue

Copenhagen, Denmark (normally Troy, New York)
    hmm, I've been mistaken for being Asian several times before (I have no idea where they get the idea from either!). So I sympathize with you. Have you ever asked them why they think you're mixed with some other race? As to your question though, I have really no idea at all, sorry. (*hug*)

4. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    People see what they want to see, I guess. I was pulled over for being too young to drive once...in my twenties. But when I had my fortieth birthday a few weeks ago, more than one person said, "I thought you turned forty years ago." Apparently, sometime between 25 and 40, I aged at least thirty years...

Lex

5. Markio

I had a friend who was Phillipino, but people thought she was Latina or Black.

I think it's normal for people to be curious about other people's cultural identity or racial background, but it's weird when people get really invested in guessing right. It's like, just ask!

6. ok455

I Work with this Italian guy and he can pass for Hispanic Or Arab

And i also with with this girl whos half Puerto Rican and Italian and I thought she was Indian when i first met her

7. MusicIsLife

I used to be asked if I was Japanese, which makes NO sense at all, because I'm english and irish :S

8. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

I have the opposite problem; people know exactly where I'm from just by looking at my name and face. I have possibly one of the most Irish possible names.

9. Taurusguy92

At least you guys mostly know what you are... I'm a mix of so many things it's hard to even keep track of them.

10. BrownBoi89

Well if you're really fair skinned that may be why people think you're mixed, because I think some people assume African-Americans with fairer skin are more likely to be mixed with European ancestry.

Most people can guess that I'm at least South Asian, which is good enough for me. But what annoys me is that when I tell other South Asian people that I'm Punjabi they're always so surprised, because I think since my skin is darker than most Punjabis, it's hard for them to believe that such a relatively dark skinned Indian is Punjabi. Oh wells.

11. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I still get carded for R rated movies. I so look at least 17!

----------

everything looks normal from my end, excpet for one thing. You look a little more hansome then I think you realize.

12. Alex19

us italians do get mistaken for these sometimes lol my one friend looks hispanic but is 100% italian. i, have been asked if i was asian before but was like,nope... all italian

13. Mind Freak

Nohtaneas, fabricating lies about lineage huh? Sounds interesting. I should try it. Lol.

Malachite, I think that was a stealthy compliment so thanks! : ) You're probably right.

Markio, I completely agree with you! It would have been much easier for him to just ask, but then I wouldn't have that priceless story. x D

Ander Blue, I should definitely start asking! I'll let you guys know the answers I get. : )

I also told a few good friends the story and so far the vote has been unamimous that I look like a "regular" black guy. Haha. So yeah! Hopefully that kid was just trying to make small talk and couldn't come up with anything better. : )

14. Sicsemper79

Tell them you're Irish.

You look fine to me btw... If asked, I would say you looks like a black dude. Good looking guy though :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

15. Mind Freak