1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Mexico

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by SRSLYMARK, Feb 2, 2010.

1. SRSLYMARK

I'm thinking about applying to and possibly attending the University of New Mexico in Albuquerque. One of the things that's holding me back from making a solid decision on it is that I don't know much about New Mexico/Albuquerque's gay environment and where equality stands. Would any New Mexicans like to give me some insight?

I'm from Chicago and the gay community here is thriving, so I would like to know how Albuquerque's environment would compare to that.

Thanks everyone!

2. The Paradigm

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been and lived in New Mexico for over a year. Alberquerque, in my opinion, is horrible without the dilemma of equal rights or safety. The city alone is very difficult but the mindset there is at times dangerously close minded. Homophobia was at an all time high when I lived there.

While usually their grades are lower or lower standard than other states, if you can live though the nightmare of New Mexico than you'll be fine. It's very different from Chicago. But there are so many better places you could be living and trying to get an education, trust me.

3. Meropspusillus

I have lived in New Mexico for 14 years, and while I don't know the gay "scene" in New Mexico. (I wasn't out to anyone but family in high school, and I wanted to go to a liberal arts college, which New Mexico lacks). I do know that it hardly is a "nightmare". I know many gay couples who live happily in New Mexico, and as far as I've heard, they've faced little discrimination, and I didn't notice any real negativity around the pride parade. Overall, my grade would be that New Mexico isn't really "good" for gay culture, but neither it bad.

I'm on the mailing list for a under-21 gay group in Albuquerque, and while I've never actually attended, I could totally give you the contact information for the person who runs the group, if you're interested in talking to someone who might know what adult life is like there more than I do. (If I'm allowed to do that, I don't really know all the rules).

Gayness aside, New Mexico is also a beautiful state with great weather (I honestly don't know how I'm going to live anywhere else. It's winters are mild, it's summers aren't too hot. I've been spoiled.) And UNM, while not the best school in the world, is a good school overall (just as long as you aren't planning on studying chemistry, that department is a train-wreck apparently). This is mostly second hand though, coming from talking to friends, and mostly from my dad (who teaches English there), so don't trust me to completely.

Edit: I think Rae's link sums up my understanding of my state pretty well: New Mexico is actually a great place for gay couples. Gay singles looking to couple, maybe not as much (just in a lack of nightlife).

#4 Meropspusillus, Feb 2, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2010
  4. Echidna1

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    No nightlife in New Mexico is the bottom line if you are a club-goer but Albuquerque isn't too harsh when it comes to equal rights and discrimination. I love the campus life here at UNM though. It is a very open and liberal school. No one is afraid to be who they are and everyone is rather friendly. The local community is very open to gays (Nob Hill, etc.) but for the most part there usually isn't any hate crimes reported on the news.

5. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    One thing to remember is that colleges quite often become microcosms. It's very possible for a college to be very accepting and cool with homosexuality right in the middle of a very homophobic city or state, especially if the college has a plurality of out-of-state students. So don't be too quick to think "if the area is homophobic, the college will be, too". If you can swing it, you might want to visit the campus and arrange for an overnight stay to get a better feel for it.

Lex

6. fabu2113

fabu2113 Guest

never been there. but in my opinion i would consider studying there but not actualy live there.i would say that gay life there would be active since there are some places that are deserted but have gay life.especialy in cities.if its a town hopefuly there would be gay life there to and wish you the greatest luck.:slight_smile:

7. Johnnieguy

I think even if many of the students come from homophobic states (ie, ND), the campus would be fine..It's a generational issue. Unless you are talking about UT or ID, where the Mormons have a stronghold..Then you might as well be living in 1950...But heck, I've heard SLC is a wonderful place to be gay (I really thought UT was a beautiful place both times I have been there) so maybe some of those places aren't "lost causes".