1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whats up Sydney?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by wizdrorcal, Feb 6, 2010.

1. wizdrorcal

I'm doing a study abroad this semester in Sydney. I leave in just under 2 weeks, and I am so excited for what's to come!! I've noticed there are quite a few people on here from Oz, so I thought this would be a great place to see what's up in Sydney? How is the gay scene? Where are good places to meet people? Any things I must see or experience? Any advice on adjusting to the culture? Thanks for any suggestions!

2. BrownBoi89

Hi Wizdrorcal. While I'm not from Australia, I too am going on exchange to Sydney this semester. I read in the study abroad thread that you're going to UNSW, that was actually my second choice, but alas I will be studying at Macquarie University. You gonna go to Mardi Gras? Because I am! And I will be getting my dance on! (!)

3. KittyBoy

Hey guys, direct all your questions to me! I am constantly at the heart of Sydney Social Scene. There are many things to see in our city; from the Sydney Harbour Bridge to the Royal Botanical Gardens, from the Sydney Hill Observatory to Centre Pont Tower.

For our gay scene. you want to go to Oxford Street. There is shopping, bars, clubs, restaurants, EVERYTHING! You must see the Opera House (inside and out), Centre Point Tower (from the tower you can see the entire city), Harbour Bridge (you can climb it), Queen Victoria Building (the heart of the city), The Galleries Victoria (has one of the BEST book stores in the city), Circular Quay (so many clubs/pubs and restaurants and cafes ON THE WATERFRONT), Royal Botanical Gardens (A beautiful place), The Art Gallery of New South Wales (AGNSW) and The Rocks.

About adjusting to the culture, just take the city as it comes, though you have to be careful about the walkways, and streetsides through the boulevards and plazas. Vehicles are everywhere.

#3 KittyBoy, Feb 7, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2010
  4. wizdrorcal

I just jumped on UNSW and didnt do a whole lot of research. I've always dreamed of being in Sydney...and just came across UNSW. I know somebody else who is going to Macquarie. I honestly know nothing about it.......gee...I should have looked into it! lol. Well its wayyy too late now! Im trying to figure out how pack 4 months of clothes in a duffle bag for 3 seasons...this is virtually impossible for me. When do you leave? I leave on Feb. 16.

Thanks Kittyboy for the suggestions!! Ahh Im so excited! So nice to have somebody as a resource!! What kind of weather can I expect from now until mid-July? as you can tell...im having issues packing for hot hot all the way to winter!

5. GoBabyGoGo

i only recently moved to sydney too!! i totally LOVE it.

ive only been out on oxford street once: to a lesban bar haha because my housemates are lesbians. and it was great! so fun! as a small bar, it seemed as if everyone knew everyone. and there were so many cool looking people! not the mainstream sort of crowd.

so yes, sydney has a huge gay scene. but from what ive heared, most of the clubbing scene, like anywhere, is really shallow. not the place to go if you want to meet someone meaningful. but if youre looking for a druged up and drunken fuck in the toilets...

but the mardi gras! hell yeah thats fun! best atmosphere in the world. nothing like a huge and happy street party! ill be there :slight_smile:

good places to meet people? well... im struggling with that one myself. come and meet MEEEE!!

6. KittyBoy

The weather? You can expect everything between heatwaves, of 42 degrees, to freezing night weather, at - 5 degrees.

7. BrownBoi89

:eek: Just a duffle bag? I'm worried that I might not even have enough for one suitcase and one carry on lol. I will probably end up paying extra so I can check in 2 suitcases lol. But I'm a diva like that (If I'm living there for 4 and a half months I must bring my entire wardrobe! Right? :icon_wink) And I leave Friday! And I've decided not to pack my gloves, scarves, pea coat, or boots. I don't own a toque but if I did I wouldn't bring that either. And I'm debating about whether or not I should bring my rain jacket. I don't really like it and I'd figure it would be easier to just pack my umbrella because it's smaller, and I'm already taking too many clothes lol.

Damn! Someone lied to me, because I thought the coldest it gets there is like 10 degrees Celsius lol. Oh well.

And I'm glad you made this thread Wizdrorcal, because now I don't have to. :grin: So do you mind if I pimp it out too to meet some peeps? :icon_bigg If so, I'll just let anyone know that if they go to Macquarie or if they're genuinely interested in meeting up, feel free to pm me. I promise I don't bite...hard :wink:

8. wizdrorcal

Hahahahhaha hope you left the rain coat at home...because its flipping HOT and HUMID here!!!!!

Anyone know why Mardi Gras tickets are SO expensive for the after parade dance and Harbour party??

9. digsy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Heh, probably because the party has such a huge reputation that people are willing to pay whatever to get in.

----------

Oh, can I just say, UNSW is a great university. Cool campus with lots of new/interesting buildings, close to the beach and not too far from the city either. I haven't gone there, though I was thinking about it for this year. As for Macquarie - well, it's not in anywhere as good a location and I just don't like it as much (I'm ONLY judging from the parts of campus I've seen though, and I do have friends who go there who love it). It does offer very well renowned, world-class courses though, and there's a new railway station that's just been put in, making it very easy to get to the city. I think you'll both have an awesome time.

10. BrownBoi89

I don't know about you wizdrorcal but it was raining the first couple days I was here. It was on and off though. So a raincoat was a very smart decision on my part. And it was only humid the first couple days (incidentally the days it also rained). Now it's just hot and dry. I went to Fair Day yesterday, it was kinda fun, but too bloody hot. Should've left my place at like 4 so we could've gone clubbing afterward. Oh well. And looking forward to the parade and clubbing this Saturday!

11. Doreibo

Rain isn't that common. It happens, but not that often. Last couple of weeks was probably the left overs of a cyclone. At the moment, and for the foreseeable future, it will probably be sun, sun, sun! By the way, bunch of my friends are at Macquarie Uni. Dunno who is going to UNSW, but I want to go there after my HSC. Kitty boy is right when he says he's at the centre of it all. And so far, his info has been pretty spot on. Weather isn't going to be too bad, we get some hot days, hot and really freaking humid, but it is bearable. Winter is much more temperate and I'm really looking forward to it.

Mardi Gras. Hells yeah.

12. Ralivar

I went to UNSW, just finished last year. There is a Queerspace on lvl 9 of the Chemical Sciences building. They have set meeting times as well, you'll just have to look up the details on the webpage. (I only went once but everyone seemed really friendly.)

13. dude99

dude99 Guest

Well if you going to university I am sure there would be a gay group there, and I guess it would be a good idea for you to check it out.

Well the gay scene is mostly in Oxford st. If you in Sydney by Saturday I recommend you to see the Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras.

Anyway there are places great to visit for a day trip from Sydney such as to Manly and Blue Mountains.