1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

parenting for same sex couples

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Ander Blue, Feb 10, 2010.

1. Ander Blue

Copenhagen, Denmark (normally Troy, New York)
    hey there - I've recently joined up at my campus LGBT group. We have weekly meetings and one of the things we do is pick a discussion topic each week to spend an entire meeting on talking about it. Well, when we were brainstorming discussion ideas earlier in the semester, I put forth the idea of parenting for gay couples. Everyone thought it'd be a great discussion topic, but no one admitted to knowing anything about it so they all looked to me to know a little something about it and lead the discussion. Well I have no idea about it. :help: What is there to talk about?

Here are some of the topics that I'm aware of that we can talk about:

Parenting Options
    Adoption​
    Surrogacy​
    Future Scientific Breakthroughs​
    Concerns
    Dealing with the two fathers/mothers 'issue'​
    Protecting children from the hate focused at same sex relationships​

and at this I'm lost ---- I feel like I still should have more to talk about...

2. Johnnieguy

You could probably break those subjects down farther.
    ie, dealing with the issue of 2 fathers or 2 mothers...what do you do if you're two fathers who have a daughter..how do you handle the situation when she starts getting periods, or when she needs to go shopping for a bra?

or how you explain sex, attraction, and where children come from. especially when other kids at school say you "need" to be married to have kids, etc.