1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Animal Symbolism

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Zume, Feb 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zume

You all may point and laugh if you wish..but this is one thing I've started to believe in myself.

Recently..after one of the atrology/zodiac posts on here I found myself sifting through all sorts of symbolism websites and stumbled across many different kinds including, among others, Chinese Zodiac, Native American Animals, Celtic Animal Zodiac, Solar Animals, Lunar Animals, Animal Guides..etc. Now I, like others, have been in past very sceptical about this sort of thing but over time and through reading information on all of these.. I have become fascinated with them and have begun delving deeper into the understanding of each type. One thing I found myself paying more attention to is the animal guide topics and how to find out what mine is.

One thing I am wondering is if anyone else has the same fascination, maybe not with the same intensity, as I do in this subject... :slight_smile:

2. Sylver

I'm not usually one for paranormal or metaphysical stuff, but strangely I do buy into this a little. From an evolutionary perspective we are related to all other animals on earth, some closer than others, so it would make sense that we share common characteristics with individual animals. I think certain animals are recognized for instinctive traits that they have each honed and perfected, so if for example owls are known for their "wisdom" then it's fair to say we have a little "owl" in us if we are characteristically wise, or that we have some "fox" in us if we are particularly cunning. So I could actually see a scientific basis for this thinking (I'm a logical scientific thinker so that usually matters to me).

Now you've got me really interested in this. If you find good information on how to identify your animal symbols, let me know. A quick scan of the Internet suggests that there isn't one school of thought (as there is with astrology) but rather a collection of symbols that vary with cultures and regions.

Hey Jon, what have you learned about your animal symbols?

#2 Sylver, Feb 14, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2010
  3. NickT

I'm atheist, but I am absolutely FASCINATED by ancient religions, such as those practiced by the ancient Egyptians/Greeks/Norse. I discovered my fascination after 6th grade history, which was all about ancient history. Then I started playing Age of Mythology and that pretty much got me hooked onto the subject. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I tell my friends that if I were ever to start believing in a God again, it'd be Ra.

4. Zume

From all that I've read it looks as though I am closer to the Wolf or Bear than any other animal on the earth..amazingly some of these sites are so well put together that you don't really have to look anywhere else..just found this one today http://www.whats-your-sign.com/index.html . Many of the discriptions for things like the dragon on the chinese zodiac (which is my symbol) are very accurate. So I'd say out of everything that I've found.. Bear/Wolf as my animal (probably closer to the wolf but still looking between the two), Dragon for the chinese zodiac, Hazel for the Celtic Tree Zodiac (which the Celtic animal associated with it is the Salmon) ..Out of all of these though the only one that I feel is the closest to me is the Wolf.

5. Sylver

^I totally think I'm a wolf from everything I've read. A little deer inside too, but I would be a wolf in almost every respect;

http://www.whats-your-sign.com/totem-wolf-symbols.html

I think my two greatest attributes are loyalty and compassion, I'm an intellectual nerd and I've always been good at communication. It's so funny, a while back I picked my mood as "Wolfy" on EC and although I had no idea what it even meant, it just felt right, like it was me. Now I know why!! :icon_bigg

I agree with this so much I might even change my avatar to be a wolf... James the Wolf!!

6. Meropspusillus

By that logic, most people should be relating themselves to bats, tree shrews and flying lemurs (after other primates of course), rather than bears and wolves. http://tolweb.org/Eutheria/15997

I'm all for believing in the spiritual stuff, but let's not pull science into it.

#6 Meropspusillus, Feb 14, 2010
  7. Zume

James is speaking more of the characteristics displayed by animals that humans share rather than physical attributes or origin.

As for some of the characteristics he is completely right. Some of the traits displayed by wolves that I can see that I share include:

Also one of the traits shared by bears that I share:

In very rare circumstances though :icon_wink

8. RaeofLite

I think I'm a mixture of the Wolf and the Badger and maybe the elephant. :slight_smile:

#8 RaeofLite, Feb 14, 2010
  9. Sylver

Gurl, you are one of the prettiest elephants I've ever seen! :eusa_danc

(bet you hear that line all the time...)

10. Zume

That is a rather interesting but powerful combination..Intelligent, Reliable, Determined, Strong Willed.. Very impressive :slight_smile:

11. dromadus

dromadus Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I am a Sagittarius.

I do think I sometimes post strongly worded observations and opinions. But I will be damned if I think that makes me a horse's ass.

12. Zume

13. Am i the only one who thinks the girl from the Know Your Sign website looks like Zuul form the first Ghostbusters movie? And that is totally AWESOME! XD

14. Zume

Now that you mention it..I suppose a lil bit she does.. I was rather pre-occupied with other parts of the site to notice the author :slight_smile:

----------

One true statement that I've found that I feel almost everyone can relate to - To understand totem wolf symbols, one must first understand the heart of the Wolf. This takes time because the Wolf has had to endure many false stereotypes, misconceptions and misunderstandings. - Felt I'd share that with you all as well. Which of us can say this doesn't ring true for many humans as well.

15. Miss Bubbles

I love this kind of thing. I love to read about it and be told things. I am part of the wiccan religion which is a play off of the nature based religion paganism. I love it and it makes me feel peaceful everytime I am out side.

16. Zume

I, myself, am pagan. Although religion discussions can turn hairy if the wrong things are said so I will leave it at that :slight_smile:

The very same with me. It used to get to the point where I wouldn't leave the house but now I am perfectly content just sitting around outside and looking around or walking around outside.

17. Sylver

*diatribe follows*

One of the things that has long bothered me about conventional religion is how it has elevated mankind to a special status on earth, like we're somehow privileged over the other species. And of course we use that to justify all kinds of violations against animals and nature - which we now see as the degradation of our home planet to the point where you have to wonder if it can ever recover. When I look around me I see ample evidence that we are a conceited and obnoxious species that's lost perspective.

The more I look into this "religion of nature" the more I am finding a resonance with what I've always held to be true, that all species are created equal on this earth and that we have no more right to dominate the earth than wolves or whales or worms or bats or even plants. I think the Native American Indians had a particularly enlightened perspective that integrated humans with all other living things (and even non-living entities) by acknowledging the symbiosis of all life on earth and respecting the give and take of life (they call it the "circle of life").

Some can write off this whole animal spirit thing as simple symbolism or as metaphor, but I am starting to warm to the idea of it being a true spirituality. Long before the New World order came to "civilize" the natives of North America, the natives had created a complete belief system around this - and it worked for them for thousands of years. In fact things only started to go horribly wrong when our ancestors tried to convert them to "the truth". I for one don't mind winding the clock back a little and seeing if maybe there wasn't something to be learned in the very things our predecessors worked so hard to extinguish. I keep a very open mind.

Here's an interesting thought. There are all these threads floating around about the new laws in Uganda that threaten homosexuals. It's interesting that if you read about the original indigenous African shamanic-type religions, homosexuals were actually revered in these cultures! Many shamans were either homosexual or transgendered, and it was considered to be an elevated state of being. It's only when the modern religions were introduced into Africa that homosexuality became a perversion. (same with the North American Indians by the way)

And strangely I find that this form of spirituality aligns itself better with my strong scientific convictions than the modern religions. Science relegates man to an interesting speck of dirt in an incredibly complex universe. It reminds me that we have an awful lot left to learn and that we aren't going to learn much if we see the world through rose-colored glasses.

So anyway I am totally open to the idea of my "enlightenment" extending well beyond my sexuality and into other important aspects of my life!

And I don't mean this to come across as a critique of others' religions, in fact quite the opposite; just a request that others acknowledge that there is a genuine spirituality in what Jon is talking about. To quote someone famous (I can't recall who), there are many ways to make it to the top of the mountain, but we're all trying to get to the same place. :slight_smile:

18. Zume

I hate.. I mean HATE referencing movies but when I must, I must. Now looking back on the movie The Day the Earth Stood Still..it has a very subtle message. By thinking that the earth belongs to us..that it is our planet..we are doing whatever we want with it and don't respect it nor it's inhabitants. We are destroying it and don't even think of possible consequences.

Exactly.

19. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.