1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Send me your New York City recommendations

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by joeyconnick, Feb 14, 2010.

1. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hiya,

So I'm going to be in New York from tomorrow to Saturday (for our Reading Break). Anyway, I've been twice before but I'm happy to hear recommendations of things to do/see, especially if it's fun stuff off the beaten track.

2. Shevanel

The Village, obviously.

It's too bad you missed Chinese New Year, because Chinatown is absolutely amazing during Chinese New Year (A few years ago I got to go onto a parade float and throw people keychains and stuff xD Shitload of people there, it was awesomely amazing). But go to Chinatown anyway, amazing food and stuff. Little Italy of course, although it's pretty much only one street now =[

South Street Seaport is really awesome too, they may still have the Bodies exhibit, which is always rather cool. There are some really nice stores there too, as well as amazing restaurants.

I'll try to think of some more.

EDIT:

Williamsburg (by the Williamsburg Bridge) in Brooklyn is supposed to be pretty sweet. My dad said it was kinda Village-ish, in that it's got hippies and stuff xD But the bars and stuff are cool.

AHH also, if you want something a bit "off the beaten path" like you said, there is this restaurant somewhere in Manhattan that is like Romanian or something, and the waiters insult you and stuff, it's supposed to be like a funny experience xD I have to ask my mom later when she gets home what its called and what part of Manhattan its in.

3. Johnnieguy

~The Met
    ~Museum of Natural History
    ~Rocco's on Bleeker Street. Get a cannoli. Seriously. If you are in NYC, you MUST go to this place. It's that good. http://www.roccospastry.com/
    ~Walk across the Brooklyn Bridge
    ~The tenament museum
    ~Get pizza (from anywhere, really). NYC has the world's best pizza.
    ~The Guggenheim museum. The art is so-so, but the building is fun to look at.
    ~See if you can get tickets to see a taping of the Daily Show. They're free, and its a cool experience.
    ~South street seaport.
    ~Boardwalk along the Hudson. There's even a circus school somewhere on it, and you might be able to see some trapeze artists.

That's all I've got for now.

4. Shevanel

Fucking A, dude, fucking A. xD

Well, Second to Italy :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

5. Johnnieguy

I've had pizza in Italy. It wasn't as good as New York does it. (Note that I am Italian and have a pretty good idea of what I'm talking about. Pizza is not Italian. Veal is Italian. Lamb is Italian. Italian food is amazing. But pizza is not to be included in lists of their most amazing dishes.)

#5 Johnnieguy, Feb 14, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2010
  6. Shevanel

Where in Italy? =P

7. Johnnieguy

I've been to Verona, Venice, Pisa, Florence, Lucca, Pistoia, and Rome. The pizza I had was when I was in Rome.

8. Shevanel

I see =P Well I'm sure it depends on where you go. Regardless, we both agree NYC has amazing pizza ^_^ I can't testify for Italy, because I haven't been there yet, but I'm sure there are places that make it better than NY. Somewhere. xD Other than that, NYC Definitely has the best, and I can testify to that almost weekly xD

9. edogs334

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I have to add my 2 cents, as NYC is one of my favorite cities of all time. Although I usually don't like Jamaican culture due to their rabid homophobia, I have to say one of the most memorable meals I've had in New York was in Brooklyn off of Eastern Pkwy- at this little hole-in-the-wall Jamaican restaurant called The Islands. Their jerk chicken was the most tender, juicy, melt-in-your-mouth spiced chicken I've ever tasted. It was that good. I was like "damn, rabid homophobia was never so succulent!" Lol. I mean, maybe the chef was just having an especially good day, but a lot of other people have given the place good reviews. So the food there has to at least be good. Here's the address:

803 Washington Ave
    (between Sterling Pl & St Johns Pl)
    Brooklyn, NY 11238
    (718) 398-3575

If you like Thai food, this place in Queens is awesome:

Sripraphai Thai Restaurant
    6413 39th Avenue
    Woodside, NY (Queens)
    (718) 899-9599‎

Here's a good food blog for NYC restaurant/eatery reviews:

http://www.famousfatdave.com/blog/

And yes, the pizza in NYC is definitely some of the best in the country- if you know where to go.

As for non-food stuff, if you like museums, the Gugenheim and the Metropolitan are always quite interesting. I think it would take a good 3 days to see everything in detail that the Met has on display- it's a great museum. The Brooklyn Museum also has some interesting exhibits- they had one on Islamic art when I was there a few years ago. Just walking through Central Park is a blast (unless the weather's crappy, of course). Hope this helps :slight_smile:

Oh yeah, and walking across the Brooklyn Bridge at night with the Manhattan skyline in the background is awesome.

#9 edogs334, Feb 15, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2010
  10. Zach1992

Go see a show! I suggest HAiR (the entire cast leaves March 7) or Next to Normal.

Join this site:
    http://www.playbill.com/club/offers/

It has a lot of ticket discounts; many of them cut ticket prices almost in half.

11. Shevanel

Sucks that its snowing, but I'm sure it can be interpreted as pretty by some xD It's just too darn cold for that however.

12. Pepsi

Pepsi Guest

lol Joey snow doesn't make it to the ground in Manhattan though so it shouldn't ruin his trip at all.

My brother lived in Europe for a year and he said he went to tons of different places in Italy looking for pizza that was as good as New York and was disgusted by how bad it was. I can't say Italy's pizza sucks because I've never been there but my brother was disgusted. I wasn't surprised to hear that from him though considering that pizza is an american food and he lives and grew up in New York. Us New Yorkers have high standards when it comes to pizza.

13. Zumbro

Go see a comedy show. No matter who you see, it's probably going to be a good time, and if you go to a little hole-in-the-wall dump you won't have to deal with a huge audience and you'll be made a part of the show. Two drink minimum at most clubs though, so watch the prices.

14. ScentedRegrets

Hey there,

I just want to add to the comments from all of my fellow New Yorkers. Ditto on the pizza - fucking amazing pizza. Best in the world. Go to Ray's on 6th Street and 11th Avenue. While you're there, check out Sammy's Noodle Shop. Two of the best eateries in the entire world, less than 200 feet away from each other.

Of course, I will be eating a sushi buffet on 32nd street, it's called Ichi Umi. Going in for class on Saturday.

Enjoy your trip to the greatest city in the world :slight_smile:

15. RAJ Aladdin

RAJ Aladdin Guest

MANHATTAN, MANHATTAN, MATHATTAN!!!!!!!! But I've always found it to be a magical city no matter where you are in NYC. Oh, but be safe! Don't flash money, or too much jewelry! I'd say go see a Broadway show but they're pricey.

16. flymetothemoon

Museum of Sex is super fun to go to once if you get the chance...mostly just because there is absolutely nowhere else that you will ever see all of the crazy stuff you see there lol

17. Shevanel

And for chocolate lovers, go to Max Brenner.
    http://www.maxbrenner.com/

It's simply amazing. Chocolate everything. It's like freakin Willy Wonka or something xD

And for Burger and shake lovers.

SHAKE FUCKING SHACK.

Such a godly burger. Seriously. The line can be long, but the shakes and the burgers are SO FREAKIN WORTH IT.

http://shakeshack.com/

So worth it. Go there.

(I realize you're trip is probably already over, but whatever :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:)

18. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, well one of the ways in which I'm most stereotypically gay is that I love musicals, so I just saw one (In The Heights) and I'm seeing Wicked on Thursday. :lol:

Thanks for all the recommendations, folks!

19. Johnnieguy

Oh, come to think of it, I do have one more reccomendation. There is a store called Duncan's Candy Bar. It's right across the street from Bloomingdale's and owned by Ralph Lauren's daughter. Don't buy anything because it's outrageously expensive, but it's a hoot to walk in and see everything they have. Won't eat up too much of your time either.

20. Zach1992

How did you like Corbin as Usnavi?

Wicked has the best cast it's had in a while (except for Dee Roscioli as Elphaba. She kind of dull.).