1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lent

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by RAJ Aladdin, Feb 15, 2010.

1. RAJ Aladdin

RAJ Aladdin Guest

I thought just occurred to me as I was finding more ways to NOT finish my paper due tomorrow:

What are YOU giving up for Lent (if you celebrate it)?

I do, and as much as it's going to kill me I'm giving up ALL fast foods and maybe (haven't decided fully) Coke. :bang:

So I was wondering what do you plan to give up for 40 days?

And PLEASE no "What does giving up something for 40 days and nights have to do with Christ and God and religion and blah blah blah"

- it's just conversation :slight_smile:

2. Alex19

i dont celebrate this, but if i did, id give up... well idk. how do yall do it? lol

3. RAJ Aladdin

RAJ Aladdin Guest

It's just saying thanks to Christ for sacrificing His life for us. If He could sacrifice His life we can sacrifice a material object or habit that we otherwise believe we could not live without. :slight_smile: Many religions have personal sacrifice as a means towards personal betterment. It shows restraint, control, passion, thanks, and most of all love. To give up something so important for others like Christ did for us shows most of all love :slight_smile:

4. Alex19

cool. but idk what would b important enough in my life. everything i do is either nessesity or so stupid that giving it up wouldnt really b fair for jesus cause it doesnt compare

5. RAJ Aladdin

RAJ Aladdin Guest

I highly doubt what you do in life is stupid. Afterall, you're a member of EC and that's pretty rad :slight_smile: It's hard, believe me and I do agree what people give could never compare to Christ's sacrifice and many people justly feel the same way you do :slight_smile:

6. Taurusguy92

I don't rly give up anything for Lent. I just try to do a good deed everyday during Lent

7. padre411

One year I gave up beets for Lent. When I was in seminary, we used to say that seminary IS lent.

I think this year I will continue to give up my illusion of heterosexuality and work hard to see being gay as a gift.

8. RAJ Aladdin

RAJ Aladdin Guest

That's awesome :slight_smile:

----------

When I was in JK that's what we had to do instead of give something up... they used to scare us saying when you get to grade one you have to give up meat and I was like "NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!" LMAO! And one day in grade one after we had pizza day I had realized I ate all my pepperoni even though we weren't supposed to and I forgot and I felt soooo bad afterwards...LMAO!

9. Owl47

Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm not exactly into the whole religious aspect, well maybe a bit, but I still celebrate because it really is just like any other season/day/holiday(Christmas, Thanksgiving, Birthdays, etc.) but it lasts forty days and is a battle of will(especially if you, in addition to giving up, don't eat meat on fridays, etc.).

For now, I don't know. . .I can't think of anything yet. . .Hmm. . . .:/

10. Shevanel

A lot of things.

11. Lychee

I'm giving up religion for Lent.
    Every year at school they ask us, and I always give them the same answer. You'd think they'd have stopped asking me by now..

12. Gin Uh Fur

Gin Uh Fur Guest

STOLE MY ANSWEr. *glare*

um if i was religious i would give up straight sex. and i know that sounds like a joke but its really not.

13. Markio

Back when I was convinced I could stop being gay, I would give up masturbating for Lent.

...Never succeeded at it.

A friend of mine is giving up using her computer for entertainment, but I don't think I could do that. Facebook, I'm From Driftwood, XKCD, Natalie Dee, and Empty Closets, all out of my life for 40 days? I don't think so. :wink:

14. RAJ Aladdin

RAJ Aladdin Guest

Well, you could still give masturbating up as it is an earthly pleasure- gays and straights give it up... there was even a movie with Josh Hartnett on it. I'm not suggesting you should or should not, I'm just saying :slight_smile: Wow, your friend's got guts...that's a tough one! WOW!

15. Johnnieguy

I stopped giving things up but before I did, my Church encouraged us to volunteer more instead of giving something up.

16. Daniel

For Lent I am giving up potatoes and white flour-based foods. Both of which I eat daily as the main part of my diet. Should be tough.

And I intend to volunteer for the schools USG.

17. Just Adam

for lent im giving up crisps. Which is torture but my waist will thank me.

18. Connor22

I gave up chocolate spread for lent last year (I love that stuff) only thing is I forgot when lent was so I did it in the run up to christmas :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: so this time I'm gonna do it right and give up Pasta :frowning2:

19. partietraumatic

rather than give up one specific thing, im gonna try and start living a healthier life style in general :slight_smile:

20. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

Omg, I'm not the only one who looks at Natalie Dee xD .