1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

People who live in Toronto...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by MusicIsLife, Feb 16, 2010.

1. MusicIsLife

Me and a friend are going to Toronto for the day on May 4th for a concert(At the Sound Academy if you wanna know). We're leaving May 3rd around 2-3AM and taking a greyhound there.

We've never been to Toronto, so we're not exactly sure what to expect. Any advice you guys can give us about the do's and don't of exploring Toronto?

2. RAJ Aladdin

RAJ Aladdin Guest

What do's and don't are there? LOL! It's a wonderful city. I'm not sure what you want to know :slight_smile:

3. MusicIsLife

Ie. don't go to this area of the city because you'll get mugged. or DO check out this area because there's lots of stuff to do.

We're mostly worried about getting lost :/

4. Chandra

Do: Queen Street West, Kensington Market, Chinatown, Little India, the Annex, the ROM, the AGO

Don't: Anywhere too far outside of downtown, really

Do if you must, but it isn't really that exciting: CN Tower

5. RAJ Aladdin

RAJ Aladdin Guest

Downtown Toronto is a best bet; fashion, shopping, movies, art, and you'll be safe. Toronto is the 3rd largest Theatre capital in the world so you'll have your pick of any great show you wish. There's also the Royal Ontario Museum, the Art Gallery of Ontario, and smaller galleries around the city. Toronto I believe is either 2nd or 3rd in the world in terms of Gay-friendliest city. Go to Eaton's Shopping Centre for shopping needs. The culinary in Toronto is very much reflected in the many multicultural restaurants. So you'll be fine :slight_smile:

Now before I tell you this you should know the chances of you getting mugged or worse are so low... just stay in well lit places that are heavily populated but that goes for any city-> Scarborough and Rexdale are thought to be less reputable neighbourhoods located on the east and west ends of Toronto, respectively, BUT depending on where you go in those places it can be nice- they're residential areas so I wouldn't recommend it for a vacay. Woodbridge, Vaughn is a very well to do area that has the Vaughn Mills Outlet Mall with name brand things for outlet prices...it's HUGE! And it is home to AMC 30 Canada's largest movie theatre. Mississauga is separate from Toronto but still located near enough- they have Square One, a GIGANTIC mall...

6. adam88

Walk up and down Yonge street, check out the Village, walk the annex etc. :slight_smile: Downtown Toronto is a great city for walking. Bring good shoes! :slight_smile:

7. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    RAJ Aladdin already mentioned most of the must see things in Toronto. I would also suggest the St. Lawrence Market. It's a great place to get good cheap food and also to hang out. Knowing you like books, there is also the 'World's Biggest Bookstore' just on Edward Street (off Yonge Street). Beside the World's Biggest Bookstore is also a nice Used Bookstore, with a large selection of books.

There is also Nathan Philips Square where the Old City Hall is on Bay Street.

8. simpleguy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Just some advice on going to a concert at The Sound Academy, be sure you have enough money for cab fare to and from the concert (about $15 each way is a safe bet from anywhere in the downtown core). The venue is located directly on the water and is really hard to get to by public transit or on foot.

:slight_smile:

#8 simpleguy, Feb 17, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2010