1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shamanism/Paganism - info for all

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Zume, Feb 20, 2010.

1. Zume

Hey folks - I thought I'd create this new thread about a very important topic to me since the last one didn't really flow as smoothly as I had hoped and only reached the topic of shamanism I was aiming for in the last few posts so this thread will be focusing on Shamanism and Paganism - basically a collection of thoughts, information, douse false information and a place to ask questions if you have any.

So here it goes ---

Paganism is the worship of all things nature. Whether it is animals, the earth, plants..whatever and pagans believe in a great spirit that binds all spirits in the universe. Pagans are often mistaken for Wiccans simply because they both use the pentagram and pentacle symbols. Wicca is an offshoot of Paganism which is the study and practice of magik (the k is used instead of the traditional c due to the fact that they practice real magic instead of card or coin tricks). The unfortunate misunderstanding of Wicca has lead many religious groups to view them through very thin lenses and see them as "devil worshipers"..this is far from the case. Pagans..in all forms.. view the world as something to be respected and embraced much like the creatures that inhabit it. Many pagans you will find are very green-minded such as they will make their own food, bread, use only organic food when purchased and use cloth bags at stores.

Here is one site that may answer some questions some of you may have - http://www.allaboutspirituality.org/paganism.htm

Now.. as for Shamanism. Shamans have been viewed as spiritual leaders, healers and communicators with the spirit realm in indian tribes. Most shamans use herbs or "special" plants..eat or smoke these to "connect" with the spiritual realm. While, yes, this does put on a good show and may make them see things..this is no more than traditional ways. With shamanism they believe in animal spirits and guides to help us on our path in life. These connections can be made through deep meditation and often sleep since it is our unconscious mind that connects with our spirit/guide. Spirit Guides can be seen as anything. They are assigned to you, you do not choose them. So please do not pick an animal you think would make a ''cool'' spirit guide and say that it is yours. You must discover what your spirit guide can be. Some people who claim to have seen angels..either were taking something they shouldn't have been which may have caused hallucinatinations, or they truly saw their spirit guide. When you hear the term spirit totem..it is the same thing as spirit guide.

Here is a site for those interested in shamanism - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shamanism

As for me, I have met my spirit guide.. a Grey Wolf named Alexdraeus. And no.. I was not taking anything if thats what you were thinking. I have detailed this information as my first blog post if you want more info on it. While I believe in both the worship of the earth and all life, the great spirit which connects us all and spirit guides.. I list myself under Shamanic Pagan.

There is some of the info that I have.. I will add more later. Please..if you have any questions please post and I will respond to them as soon as possible.

2. ArcaneVerse

It's always nice to see some new diversity added to a community from which we all can learn and grow from.

I label myself an agnostic usually if people ask but I don't think that fits me entirely as I believe there is something more to this world then what we see but I try not to restrict myself to one set of beliefs because I think there are so many things to learn and multiple sources to learn from.

I also read your blog about your experience with finding your spirit guide and I found it very interesting and would love to hear about future happenings.

3. Owl47

Out Status:
    Some people
    I myself was raised Catholic, though I did for a time waddle in research of other religions, spiritual beliefs, quantum mysticism, pseudoscience, etc. and found fundamental truths, as well as unique characteristics, within many, even between what's though to be such polar opposites like Christianity and (some forms of) Satanism, which I found interesting. There's a lot I don't know, though. Right now I label myself as an optimistic agnostic with catholic existential influences. I always found paganism/shamanism cool because it's so in touch with Earth.

I'm really interested in knowing my spirit guide and wouldn't mind some advice/explanation on things.

4. Chandra

I like this.

5. Zume

6. Sylver

I've never heard of this before (and I'm a quantum philosophy freak)! Teach me, O wise Owly!! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

7. Rygirl

Hey guys, as you may know I'm a firm Wiccan and have been for about a year and a half, I would be more than happy to contribute to this discussion and answer any questions people have about Wicca or other pagan religions.

8. dromadus

dromadus Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    OK, is Quantum Mysticism interpreted in the same way as the popular film "What the Bleep" which was the transformation of Quantum Mechanics into a mystical religious structure. I went to a Seminar put on by the producers of the film in Scottsdale Arizona a few years ago. I met a lot of cool people there and some of the cast of the film and a two producers. It turned out that a lot of the people behind the film had attended the Ramtha School of Enlightenment. If you are unsure what Ramtha is, it is an entity channeled by J.Z. Knight at her retreat. She was a speaker at the event, and had us participate in some actual psychic activities and then had all of the successful people in those tests up on stage to show how many people could do it successfully (it was a psychic transference of images from one person privately looking at an image to another person who would draw the image by concentrating on the other person). Then everybody swapped positions sender becoming receiver etc. Then the successful went back up on stage a second time. The results with proof on paper were staggering. Is this anything like what you are talking about?

9. Sylver

Interestingly I see many of the elements of the science of quantum mechanics in pagan shamanism, which is one reason it resonates with me. QM theory can lend itself to some radical interpretations, and because it invariably crosses over into the realm of philosophy (to the chagrin of many scientists) it tends to drag in some ideas that are loosely associated, to say the least. That's why I was wondering about quantum mysticism.

QM can sometimes be hard to understand and accept, but it is a conventional science that tells us a lot about our universe and the things in it. For me any religion (or spirituality as I would prefer to call it) needs to be reconcilable with the findings of science, and must stand up to the scrutiny of science. When I put on my QM "glasses" and look at our universe through the eyes of science I see the "one-ness" of nature and all life in it, man included. I also see provision for a "spiritual realm", which is quite a bold prediction for science to make (again much to the discomfort of many physicists). It has been called consciousness, it has been called "the observer" role, it has other manifestations, but it is predicted by QM. All of this fits more neatly into the tenets of pagan shamanism than many other religions I've studied - at least that's my opinion.

10. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The term "shaman" was brought to the west by Michael Harner, an anthropologist who has spent much of his career studying indiginous spiritual/religious practices among numerous cultures throughout the world. He chose the word "shaman" as it is an indigenous Siberian word that had no meaning to Western culture, but in American Indian culture the closest English word would be "medicine man."

Harner found that the majority of indiginous religions he studied throughout the world shared many core beliefs and practices, including the concept of spirit guides, animal guides, the notion of traveling or "journeying" in the spirit realm to other realities and places, and many other things.

Also, while there are some indiginous communities that use various materials (datura, peyote, etc) to induce altered states for the meditation/journey process, many cultures don't ever use these things and simply induce the journey state through meditative practice.

I studied with several shamanic teachers over a number of years and did (and still do) find the practice of shamanism to be powerful, meaningful and helpful to one's understanding of the world. It is to me among the most respectful of other traditions and fundamentally teaches and espouses very positive values.

I recommend, if you're interested in reading more, checking out Tom Brown's "Awakening Spirits" or "The Journey."

11. Zume

12. Sylver

A question (from someone who grew up in a strictly religious family) - why is there a general indignation towards the Native American religions or spiritualities in our society? When we talk of the "great religions of the world" we hear Christianity, Islam, Judaism, Hinduism, etc. but we never hear of the religious practices of the original inhabitants of this continent. Their beliefs sustained them for literally thousands of years. Why are modern theologists so apprehensive of looking objectively at them to see if there is anything to be learned from their ways and practices? Why does the term "pagan" have such a pejorative connotation in our modern religious vernacular?

Or is the world much more enlightened than I make it out to be and it's just my closed religious upbringing shining through in my questions?

Chip, you've given me even more reason to investigate this further. I want to get those books and see what there is to learn from them. Thanks!

13. Zume

It's basically because most people are so set in religion that has been handed down by their parents, families..same with their views. Kind of like "You don't share my views, then you are wrong." The native american religions have been basically kept among the native american people and are not announced so spectacularly as christianity and churches, the bible..etc. The idea of a mass of spirits or the idea of regular people being able to connect with a spirit like a highly respected religious leader could makes people within other religions uncomfortable. And as such shamanism is looked down upon by members of some religions.

As for the term "pagan" ..I partially explained that in the origional post...

Like with everything else, James, the world is coming around and becoming more accepting of many many things..but when it comes to religion many people are still stuck in their ways.

#13 Zume, Feb 20, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2010
  14. dromadus

dromadus Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Serpent's Song

'Neath the serpent lies the gem,
    Secret jewel of fabled Khem
    Of timeless wonders it will tell
    With silent voice and mystic spell
    Of hidden ways in clearest sight
    On a Mobius road through darkness bright.

Oh wisdom of our ancient past
    By riddles are your measure cast
    To hold away from profane eye
    These visions and this haunted cry,
    An echo down timeless tomorrows
    Giving meaning to all earthly sorrows

Now to us is knowledge granted
    And in our garden a great tree planted,
    Starry children drink deep this power
    Dance your circle around our tower
    For the cosmic chain of evolution
    From life to life will find solution.

Learn love's the sole divine petition
    And fate is only our own volition;
    We choose the drama of these dreams,
    From this web only love redeems.
    A fragile life is ours on earth
    But loving hands give us rebirth.

So dark, this dark, our shining dark,
    Open your ways and be the Ark.
    Your silence is so vast and pure
    And touches the soul with wisdom sure.
    Bright visions for us, no longer few,
    Of the hidden and lost which we renew
    by Dromadus

note: Khem is ancient Egypt

----------

I wrote that poem many many years ago. I have others. Notice that the line about the mobius road appears between my name and avatar. This is where I took it from. This poem contains much of my mystical philosophy. I hope you liked it.

15. Rygirl

http://www.wicca.com/celtic/cc002.htm

That is one of the largest Wicca, Witchcraft, and Pagan sites on the net, it was how I got started, it has everything on it, I'm sure it can answer a lot of questions.

Bide within the Law you must, in perfect Love and perfect Trust.
    Live you must and let to live, fairly take and fairly give.

For tread the Circle thrice about to keep unwelcome spirits out.
    To bind the spell well every time, let the spell be said in rhyme.

Light of eye and soft of touch, speak you little, listen much.
    Honor the Old Ones in deed and name,
    let love and light be our guides again.

Deosil go by the waxing moon, chanting out the joyful tune.
    Widdershins go when the moon doth wane,
    and the werewolf howls by the dread wolfsbane.

When the Lady's moon is new, kiss the hand to Her times two.
    When the moon rides at Her peak then your heart's desire seek.

Heed the North winds mighty gale, lock the door and trim the sail.
    When the Wind blows from the East, expect the new and set the feast.

When the wind comes from the South, love will kiss you on the mouth.
    When the wind whispers from the West, all hearts will find peace and rest.

Nine woods in the Cauldron go, burn them fast and burn them slow.
    Birch in the fire goes to represent what the Lady knows.

Oak in the forest towers with might, in the fire it brings the God's
    insight. Rowan is a tree of power causing life and magick to flower.

Willows at the waterside stand ready to help us to the Summerland.
    Hawthorn is burned to purify and to draw faerie to your eye.

Hazel-the tree of wisdom and learning adds its strength to the bright fire burning.
    White are the flowers of Apple tree that brings us fruits of fertility.

Grapes grow upon the vine giving us both joy and wine.
    Fir does mark the evergreen to represent immortality seen.

Elder is the Lady's tree burn it not or cursed you'll be.
    Four times the Major Sabbats mark in the light and in the dark.

As the old year starts to wane the new begins, it's now Samhain.
    When the time for Imbolc shows watch for flowers through the snows.

When the wheel begins to turn soon the Beltane fires will burn.
    As the wheel turns to Lamas night power is brought to magick rite.

Four times the Minor Sabbats fall use the Sun to mark them all.
    When the wheel has turned to Yule light the log the Horned One rules.

In the spring, when night equals day time for Ostara to come our way.
    When the Sun has reached it's height time for Oak and Holly to fight.

Harvesting comes to one and all when the Autumn Equinox does fall.
    Heed the flower, bush, and tree by the Lady blessed you'll be.

Where the rippling waters go cast a stone, the truth you'll know.
    When you have and hold a need, harken not to others greed.

With a fool no season spend or be counted as his friend.
    Merry Meet and Merry Part bright the cheeks and warm the heart.

Mind the Three-fold Laws you should three times bad and three times good.
    When misfortune is enow wear the star upon your brow.

Be true in love this you must do unless your love is false to you.

These Eight words the Rede fulfill:

"An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"

The Wiccan Rede.

16. Zume

@dromadus and redsapphire.. absolutely wonderful..thank you for posting those.

One book that I borrowed from my sister that I am currently reading which is a delight is The Mist-Filled Path by Frank MacEowen. Though not something I would purchase for myself, it is a good read.

17. dromadus

dromadus Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    That was lovely Redsaphire: in honor of the Goddess, may I offer this:

Moon Song

I extend into thee, oh blood fevered moon
    I am thy servant as thou art my doom.
    Radiant queen, night's pale handmaiden
    Splendorous lady, with burdens so laden:
    In reaching from heaven thy pallid hands touch
    The thoughts and the feelings that underlie much
    Of my shadowed world, so hidden so deep,
    From such cool intelligence thy counsels I keep.

Sitting within my night enclosed palace
    Drinking sweet drops of dew from thy chalice
    I ponder thy pride and thy arrogant moods
    And envision what thoughts must cause thee to brood;
    Yet of thy wonder I'll tell all in song
    Of noble enchantments and visions so strong
    Of the gods' ancient promise and man's lawful right
    And truths many mansions in the fastness of night.

I extend into thee, oh silver Selene,
    I am thy servant as thou art my dream.
    Lend to us goddess thy spiritual might,
    And send us in dreams bright magical sight.
    Thy people are scattered and lost in this world
    Thy temple's been broken, thy banner's been furled.
    But we serve thee true, our strength will not falter
    Holding back the profane, keeping sacred thine altar.

And into our world will come a great power
    Drawing a circle and building a tower.
    A flame shall be kindled and a glory arise,
    And thy holy subjects will look to the skies.
    The stars shall cry out with a high piercing wail
    And the dark earth will tremble as thine enemies fail;
    With thy chariot of ecstasy descending at last
    A soft brilliant laughter will hold our hearts fast.

I extend into thee and thee into me
    As together we cross time's fathomless sea,
    Be thou my eyes and guide me aright
    As we set our course on this perilous flight.
    For the way of thy wisdom is a frightening task
    As I rip from myself that comforting mask
    Which I've always known as body and mind,
    But oh such a promise of mystery to find.
    by Dromadus

Blessed Be

18. partietraumatic

i have found this thread extremely interesting and enlightening. I knew little or nothing about most of the things mentioned in this thread previously. So you learn something new every day :slight_smile:

Personally i would consider myself a non-religious theist. I believe in a creator/god, but i'm not a member of any religion.

Incidentally, on the pagan front, i often wonder how many anti-pagan Christians know why we celebrate xmas on December 25th, when its a known fact that Jesus was almost certainly born in summer. The reason is in fact that the 25th of December was a major pagan festival when the roman empire was trying to make the empire christian, and the resistance to it being removed was such that it was decided it was easier to put a christian celebration on that day, than to remove the pagan festival.

19. biisme

I have always been interested in Wicca, and have read a lot about it, but because of my family I have been restricted in exploring this religion. This summer when I worked across the country I was able to explore a little bit.. Once I go to college I plan on delving more deeply into this and ultimately find a coven.

As for Shamanism I have recently become interested in this and have also started reading/exploring this. However, I haven't gotten very far because I have problems visualizing scenes in the 1st person perspective (ie: through my eyes). I find it easier to watch from a distance, so I need to fiddle some more with this to see what it more comfortable. I also haven't discovered my spirit animal yet even though I've tried a couple times to drum for it and I've tried to dream for it. I'll have to explore some other methods.

I am also interested in Herb Magic and can't wait till I go to my school. Because it's a cooking school it has a humongous herb garden that would be really helpful.

Anyway, I find this a really interesting thread and it's good to know that there are others on here that believe some of the same things.

20. Gaetan

I find any organized religion somewhat moot, in my opinion. I consider myself agnostic. I don't know if there is a greater power than us. Many things--namely the pure randomness of evolution and the probability of it tells me there is someone pulling the strings. However, I also think that this being likely pressed the "start" button, setting off the big bang and has been mostly hands off since then. Yet other things in this word--wars, natural disasters--tell me there likely is no god. Yet, still, it is possible there is one that simply doesn't get involved.

Whether or not there is a god, I don't know. I know that I am not meant to know. If there is a greater power, I cannot nor am I meant to even begin to fathom its plans.