1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Zero-Tolerance In Schools...goes waaaaay overboard

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Revan, Feb 22, 2010.

1. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So I'm a member of Salon (the lovely site where Julie Powell (if you don't know her then watch Julie & Julia or read the book of the same name) wrote her blog that made her famous) and I found a blog posting that has shown me that in the States, zero tolerance in schools has gone over the top for real now. Here's the post:

I'm sorry...but have people gone insane?

2. xequar

Yes, yes they have.

There's a big big push underway to erase any signs of individuality in children. Any kid that does show a spark of individuality is either drugged up to the point where they're mindless drones or turned over to police, who now enforce minor school rules in the same fashion as they would a first-degree felony. In either case, the kid winds up with a record that makes it that much easier for any overzealous cop to arrest that person as an adult and lock them away forever because, loe and behold, he/she has a record.

If you logically connect some not-so-disparate dots, you wind up in the realm of what most people would call conspiracy theory. Many prisons are now privately-run outfits ran on a for-profit basis. If no one goes to prison, the companies running the prisons make no money. Of course, this criminalization of kids makes it all the easier to send them to prison as adults. It also makes it a whole lot easier to create a police-state when the citizenry has grown up thinking it's completely normal to be tracked and monitored at all times and that it's completely acceptable that if anyone steps ever-so-slightly out-of-line that they have a run-in with police.

Yes, the world has gone crazy, and some very creative opportunists have managed to parlay a few disparate tragedies into very lucrative businesses based on a phony fear that the guy in front of you in the line at Taco Bell will snatch your kid if you lose sight of him/her for more than two seconds.

Much like marijuana, a drug that's less harmful to society than cigarettes, was criminalized to make it easier to arrest black people in the 1930s, many minor things are being criminalized now to make it that much easier to arrest malcontents and others who might have the audacity to show a spark of independant human thought.

And it's fucking scary.

3. Connor22

wow now that's a conspiracy theory^ let's just hope that was a one off and some lessons might possibly learned like, oh I don't know... don't arrest kids for being kids?

4. xequar

The trouble is that it's not a one-off instance. There are all sorts of stories out there about kids being arrested for stupid crap. One of the more recent ones I saw involved a kid that had a small plastic gun that was a piece of an action figure. The kid was kicked out of school and charged with bringing a gun to school.

5. Strawberry

"First-degree-criminal doodling"? LOL.

But yeah, that's insanely ridiculous. There's a huge, huuuuge difference between doodling on a desk and doing something dangerous like bringing drugs or guns to school. People are so dumb.

6. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Maybe they shouldn't have been drawing on the desk... but detention or something would be sufficient punishment.

7. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, zero-tolerance IS going to go way overboard. If it didn't, it'd be called "minimal tolerance".

It's often a pendulum. Somebody does something horrible in a school, and parents and teachers and other students do that "somebody needs to do something" routine. They implement a zero-tolerance policy, and (most) everybody applauds that they're cracking down on whatever the heck it is they're cracking down on. And then somebody gets a heavy sentence for something exceptionally minor, and people get up-in-arms about this horribly restrictive zero-tolerance policy. It gets amended, and everybody's happy. And the cycle repeats.

Lex

8. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

Sadly, it's the most logical explanation for this nonsense that I have ever heard.

9. crystaltriforce

10. Chandra

Every person involved in education in any way should mandatorily have to watch this video:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iG9CE55wbtY[/youtube]

#10 Chandra, Feb 22, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2010
  11. dromadus

dromadus Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    "O wonder!

How many goodly creatures are there here! How beauteous mankind is! O brave new world! That has such people in't!"

Brave New World: Aldous Huxley, 1932

I assume you get the cynicism I share with Huxley. Thank you for the warning.

12. Brad

No i don't believe in arresting children for such things however i think a child spending their entire class vandalizing school property is something that shouldn't be acceptable or encouraged.

For some reason if it was from an action figure the gun being less than half an inch then i don't believe what you said. However if you meant to just say it was a plastic toy gun then i do have something to say.

A child bringing a plastic gun to school is still something serious. The most likely reason to do so is to use it to threaten people who are unaware that it is fake. Which i do believe expulsion is harsh if it was the first time that child had acted aggressively however anything short of a suspension wouldn't have been enough. As for being charged with bringing a weapon to school, that would never actually happen if the weapon he had wasn't real. So even if he was arrested initially he would have been let go as soon as they knew the weapon was fake.

#12 Brad, Feb 24, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
  13. xequar

http://news.google.com/newspapers?n...S4MAAAAIBAJ&sjid=l14DAAAAIBAJ&pg=6578,3289724

Edit: I don't think this is the same episode of which I was thinking, as this one was from '97. That said, the point's still the same. They were going to make a criminal out of a kid for an obvious bit of plastic that was shaped as a gun. How fucking stupid!

----------

Or, how's about this one from last month, when a student had guns legally stowed in his vehicle and parked on a public street, but was STILL expelled from school.

http://www.sacbee.com/2010/01/22/2481590/fate-of-willows-student-expelled.html

Or here's one from a year ago where a student was nearly expelled for having a NERF toy. How is a NERF TOY a dangerous weapon?

http://www.10tv.com/live/content/local/stories/2009/02/17/story_nerf.html?sid=102

#13 xequar, Feb 24, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2010