1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

YOUR high school expierience

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by FPM1885, Feb 26, 2010.

1. FPM1885

FPM1885 Guest

I am doing a project to persuade why it is better to come out in high school and my argument is because it is to stand up to discrimination and say "eff you" to violent homophobes. So if you don't mind i would very much appreciate it if you guys would maybe put something that happened in high school because you were gay and how it affected you mentally and physically. it would really help my argument and get me an A! :grin: help me out please. I want to make a difference in my class. (!)

2. FPM1885

FPM1885 Guest

ALSO! Your high school experience pt. II

If you were forced to stay in the closet for any particular reason and it really messed you up or affected you somehow (well of course right?) that would also be appreciated. thank you. Just think of it as a chance for your story to finally be heard and be used for a good cause. reply to my other post if you want haha it's the same stuff but about being out in high school but being closeted is equally important. Please share you stories.

3. uptownboy

is this some kind of revenge or something ? :grin:
    well when i was in high school everything went fine :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4. Absentminded

Coming out in high school hasn't been that big of a deal for me. I've had a couple of harrassment issues, but, overall, it's probably been better than a lot of people's experiences. I've been out all through high school, and I haven't let anyone tell me different. It's perfectly normal for most people who know me and have been around me. For some reason, it also tends to open my mind to different views, and sometimes I consider things differently. It's been pretty helpful during high school, in a lot of different ways.

5. Camman3

I have felt unable to come out at my school. If you want, you are welcome to read my blog entry on how I tried to create a GSA in South Africa (includes "my story"), more specifically in Cape Town in my school, where I live, but then I could not manage it because of the way the country "is"... Dunno how to describe it!:eusa_doh: Read it! You'll understand what I mean - the way our society views things works in a weird way that doesn't really run in tandem with typical American society.

I can expand on this more if you want - just PM me or write on my wall. If you ask specific questions, I might be able to answer you more specifically, depending on what you need catered.

I'd be open to a questionnaire - that's an idea. Why not create a questionnaire and copy-paste PM it to all those who would allow it?

You might get more answers and results that way.

6. Johnnieguy

I had a pretty fabulous experience in high school, but it was only because I wasn't out and I had "broken in" to the "popular" athletic cliques. Needless to say I was a little unhappy internally. There was one openly gay guy a year ahead of me, and my "friends" treated him like crap, so basically I saw what would happen to me if I came out. Oddly enough, I don't think they suspected anything even though I tried to talk to him and befriend him. I never came out to him, although I think he suspected I was gay.(Now he knows!) I just wish that I could have gotten him alone to talk with him (he was always with a group of girls...Kind of frustrating.)

So I don't think not being out in high school messed me up all that badly, but it certainly meant that I didn't learn how to date (see the thread about GLBT people having 2nd or delayed adolesences). However, keep reading to see how I think it affected me.

I went on to a great college (still in the closet) that I probably would not have gone to if I was out of the closet in HS because of its rural/isolated location. I fit in well there, and had no issues when I finally did come out there. Had I come out in HS, I would have gone to a school in the city and been able to start dating guys right away at age 18, instead I had intermittent dates with guys I met online. Some went well.

Post-college, I moved to a new city, but not the one I wanted to be in (even though it was a wonderful city especially to grow up in or raise a family in). So after 6 months away, I moved back to my current city. I think maybe I am trying to catch up for what I think of as "the lost years" of 18-22 years old..Exploring the gay life here, actually meeting gay people I want to hang out with (I was less than thrilled with the crowd at my college. We could literally not have had any less in common). I gave up a pretty stellar career opportunity that I had, which basically would have given me a secure and well-paying job for life in order to make this move...But I think it is worth it. I don't want to be one of those people who only do what they do for security and money. I would rather take less money, work a less glamorous job, and live in a small house than have my name known all over the world (even if it is only scientists who would know me).

7. Shevanel

I'd say I had a great time in High School, but I wasn't out. I wasn't out however because I had no freakin clue that I wasn't straight xD So there was no reason to be out. I figured out the summer after graduation.

8. fragomatrick

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well, I am still not out completely, but I think I liked the way things were.(hidden) There are only a few limited citites in India where you can come out and poeple would be comfortable with that. Like,I just read this news that theres this Indain writer, an award winning poet, who wrote poems on homosexuality . Now, theres a case thats been lodged against him, on grounds of profanity! That is what the general perception here is.

In general,I am all exasperated and frustrated but i dont let that get the best of me.

9. FPM1885

FPM1885 Guest

lol what is that! hahaha no drama? i just wanted to show them how ugly people can be :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

----------

#9 FPM1885, Feb 26, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2010
  10. uptownboy

yap..no drama..a very boring high school :roflmao:
    maybe because i keep it a secret even though few of my friends asking me and i kept on lying to them,
    im afraid they'll tell it to everyone :icon_sad:

11. mydogstewie

Terrible, and I'm not even done with freshmen year. lol

I get joked about everyday. I was forced out at the beginning of the year.

It's not that bad, but people just bring it up so much...IT'S NOT A BIG DEAL!

3 more long years

12. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

People would talk about how gay I was before I came out. Then people did nothing after I did.

#12 Swamp56, Feb 26, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2010
  13. mydogstewie

Wow, you're really lucky.

14. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

I came out during senior year though, when people were more mature (than before).

15. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wish I had a great story for you, but I don't. As I just typed in another thread, I spent my entire high school life thinking I was straight. I don't think that was homophobia at work - I was just REALLY clueless. :slight_smile:

Lex

16. uptownboy

perfect :thumbsup:

17. gaz83

gaz83 Guest

omg, i wouldnt even wanna imagine coming out at school. thinking bout it tho, i think my 2nd high school woulda been ok, but not the first. would probs have been bullied to the extreme and then who knows what. so i have respect for those that do come out at school. least they figured themselves out early and acted on it.

18. jazzrawr

I had no problems at all coming out in high school. I came out in grade 11, and I'm close to finishing grade 12 and have had no issues whatsoever. It's fantastic. ^_^
    I suppose I had enough friends and people who liked me beforehand that anyone who has a problem with it wouldn't speak up.
    I'm so glad I came out, it's a lot better now that my friends aren't trying to hook me up with guys every week. XD

19. RAJ Aladdin

RAJ Aladdin Guest

I kicked and owned everyone's ass in High School (academically, I mean) ESPECIALLY in my final year! I got the majority of awards on Grad Night! Yeah, I'm hot shit! LOL!

I would relive Grade 12 ANY DAY!

The entire four years? Hell no. LOL!

20. MusicIsLife

I was closeted til prom/my first year of college.

I liked it that way. From how people reacted to two girls going to prom together, going through high school out would've been torture for me.