1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

chilean quake.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by fallendream, Feb 27, 2010.

1. fallendream

what do people know or think of this?
    telegraph news link

it was a 8.8 richter 'quake in chile causing a tsunami that is due to hit hawaii in just a few hours - i heard from other sources that itll hit the australian and new zealand coasts within 48 hours.

2. Shevanel

It's a FUBAR situation that can only get worse really, so hopefully it'll not get worse, but that's just being hopeful.

3. dromadus

dromadus Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It is a marvel that our technologies allow us to know when they have happened, warn people, make preparations, and take precautions.

And Internet lets us know about it, talk about it and help us find a way to take part in the solution. Knowledge is power.

4. Sylver

That is one massive earthquake! First Haiti now Chile.

By the way, after Haiti CNN did a special on the 10 most dangerous cities in the world for upcoming earthquakes, particularly ones who are "long overdue" in terms of their normal cycles. San Francisco and Vancouver were both near the top of the list. One of these days California will get the big one because they've gone too long without a major quake. Can you imagine an 8.8 in the Bay area?

Of course I'm going to be traveling to both Vancouver and San Fran in the next month... I'm a prairie boy - we get blizzards and tornadoes but the chance of an earthquake here is flat out zero. So they make me nervous whenever I go to the west coast...

5. Zume

God I hope not...Even being here in Nevada near the sierra's.. (pictures the sierra's cracking and pieces falling down to the valley floor) ...again.. I hope not. Even that far away in the bay area it still can reach us out here.

6. kv88

#6 kv88, Feb 27, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2010
  7. paco

paco Guest

we've got a little tsunami warning too. apparently hawaii has got a really big tsunami warning. my friend there said the warning sirens have gone off twice today and theyve evacuated the coasts.

funny, i was literally walking out the door with my surfboard and my wetsuit on, and decided to not go--which is a rare decision, especially after the wetsuit is on.

8. Tim

Tim

Just got the Tsunami Warning here about an hour ago. Everyone's freakin out -.-; The last tsunami warning resulting in a less than an inch tsunami. Yes, they actually recorded that. >_>;

Looks like 2010 will be the year of the earthquakes...

9. Phoenix

Phoenix Guest

For real. What the fuck is going on with the earthquakes lately. Makes me even more glad to be on the Atlantic side of the country.

10. Zume

(flashback to the movie Demolition Man)

"Her light was extinguished in the Big One of 2010"

Um yeah..ringin any bells? :eek:

11. fallendream

i havent checked the british news yet (totally forgot :O)
    what relief work is being done so far? im thinking haiti will have recieved more support and will have left alot of people with not enough money to want to donate to chile aswell.

12. Just Adam

well they had the largest ever quake and this is one of the largest luckily for them it wasn't a shallow quake the energy dissipated over a large area thus the damage wasn't as bad as it could of been. there are tsunami warnings in Hawaii i believe and new Zealand have told people to cancel all sea activities to not go anywhere near the coast there's even helicopters patrolling the beaches to tell people to get off them.

so all in all its pretty major. very sad

----------

ill be damned if im using them damn shells !

13. fallendream

its very sad adam, it couldnt have come at a worse time either;
    most of the US, UK, chinese, french and god knows who else' rescue workers are over in haiti when its hawaii and chille that need the most help right now.

14. Shevanel

[/COLOR]
    ill be damned if im using them damn shells ![/QUOTE]

The problem is Demolition Man has already predicted a few true things too. Like Schwarzeneggar's political career (which ends up as his presidency through constitutional amendment, something that obviously didn't happen, and probably won't xD but if it does, consider Demolition Man a Prophet in film form. xD

And God No, I hope we don't use the 3 Sea Shells xD

15. Tim

Tim

Pretty much everywhere where the Pacific Ocean is connected to have had a tsunami warning issued.

I don't understand why we did though, Chile is like, south of us. How the hell a tsunami would form on land is beyond me, since last I checked, tsunamis are formed in a specific way, so it couldn't form perpendicular to the seismic waves. >_>

16. paco

paco Guest

there is a chance of a wrap around. when water hits land it starts to turn like so [​IMG]

the other thing that's more likely is the really strong currents. in bays even people are supposed to make sure their boats are really well secured so they don't get pulled out

17. RaeofLite

18. Zume

19. Fargo

Fargo Guest

Hawaii reports that Hilo Bay is still having surges. They were expecting +1m to their waves. Vancouver Island was expecting +1.3ft waves. I'm listening to a radio station in Honolulu at the moment. http://www.thefishhawaii.com/
    I hear some people are returning to the beaches but are cautioned to still stay away. They are talking that the Hawaiian islands have been spared. The big island was reporting the water level drop to go back far enough to reveal reefs.

----------

Update: Hawaiian islands tsunami warning officially over for Hawaii.

20. Harve

So fortunately, this looks to be a bit of a non-event in comparison to Haiti etc.. Maybe not the actual earthquake though. The boxing day tsunami was so strong because the epicentre was in shallow water i think?