1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Abercrombie Model Stigma?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by abercrombieboi, Aug 26, 2007.

1. abercrombieboi

Ok does anyone like believe in that whole in order to wear abercrombie you have to look like one of their models? like I know people who are like intimidated to wear it because like when the enter the store they swear like the store models are like criticzing them in their minds....thankfully i've never had that problem...like i'm not perfect, but i have like a dancer's body, and people say im hot enough, and ive been offered jobs at hollister and abercrombie kids....but like yeah it just bothers me cuz i think all people have the right to feel hot in their skin, but then there are those people who swear they're like the hottest shyt of life and parade in like 2 sizes 2 small andlike look ridiculous:bang: like ewww can you say muffin top?...but yeah whateva...does anyone feel that way too?

Abercrombieboi

2. Kimi

Hmm...I actually never saw or noticed a person wearing clothe from there and have muffin top. I personally I don't like muffin top...not to offend anybody but yeah.
    And I don't really feel that you have to have a hot body to wear a t-shirt with A&F logo on. Yes, abercrombie models are freaking hot but everyone knows that not everyone looks like them or have that kind of body. I think I have what is called swimmer type of body(I haven't work out lately:eusa_doh: ) now and I'm ok with that.

IMO, Hollister is very crappy. And poor quality(not all of them but some).

3. abercrombieboi

grrrrr i would kill for a swimmer's body, like i have the tone, but like my shoulders aren't broad....people are always telling me like wait a little longer you'll get them sooner than you think but it's like grrr, oh and kimi, be thankful, when you see someone with muffin top wearin a&f jeans it's like really like disturbing, it's like i think that allll people should be able to wear any brand and feel good about themselves, but when your like kinda chubby,and SWEAR, your a size 0 when you aren't or you look good in a bikini when you don't then that's where I get kinda annoyed, like hello ralph lauren is coming out with some really cute tasteful one pieces...you know what i think it is, people have like a twisted senec of sex appeal nowadays, like having every bone sticking out and like TONS of makeup (i dont know if it happens any where else but it happens a lot in miami) and its like well ewww...but yeah...

4. cavillor

cavillor Guest

I don't know about any stigma. I just know that the models are hot. Whenever I'm at A&F, I spend quite a while browsing, yet never buy any clothes. :grin:

5. GuitarGirl1350

Yes. And honestly, I think less of people I see wearing abercrombie, because you've got to be a complete retard to buy their way-overpriced clothes just to wear their name on your chest. It's like free advertising for their crappy clothes, and that's all it is. I feel the same way about all that bull- Aeropostale and American Eagle don't escape my wrath either.
    If I'm advertising your business, I'm getting paid, buddy.

6. :lol: Couldn't have put it better myself. :eusa_clap

7. Triplume

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Considering A&F's history with racial minorities, particularly blacks and Asians, I'd feel uncomfortable buying and wearing their clothes. Their clothes just aren't my style either, so it really doesn't matter. But I won't deny that the models aren't attractive... lol.

8. surfrboykai

i hate what A&F stand for. they're like, why so many people have eating and body image disorders

9. Blueeyes

Blueeyes Guest

you definitely do not have to look like a model to wear abercrombie clothing, people cant expect everyone to be drop dead gorgeous. i like some of their clothing, but some of it is a little ridiculous looking. ive lost interest in a lot of abercrombie stuff and shop more at jcrew or ralph lauren these days.

10. GuitarGirl1350

I believe family guy put it best:
    "Finding... is like trying to find diversity in the Abercrombie and Fitch catalog."

11. Triplume

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    A&F is already notorious for distorting the public's perception of their body images, but couple that in with racial disparities and you get a whole new slew of problems. One of my friends is multiracial (part black, part white, part Mexican), and she has copper skin and curly hair. She's told me that she believes Abercrombie's models tend to convey a "white is beautiful" message, and even walking into the store is uncomfortable for her. (Then again, "black is beautiful" ads have the same effect for her; I guess it's rough being "somewhere in between".)

I'm not saying that all biracial or multiracial people face this problem, but the fact that it CAN happen (and it does) just gives people more reason to not shop at A&F.

12. jroakwood

i dont have a problem with a&f, or similar stores.
    people might find it intimidating, i do sometimes, but theres nothing wrong with it.

i think in order to be a model you have to be a beautiful person.
    so thats why they have beautiful models.
    if theyre not diverse it just means they know what theyre looking for in their models.

about body image and stuff, people dont necessarily want to look at ugly people.
    and its not like they say "only pretty people can wear this" or "this is the only good kind of body"
    its just assumed and implied by people.
    eating disorders and such are very unfortunate but it shouldnt be the industry's problem.

i guess all im saying is models are SUPPOSED to be good looking. heheh.

13. Jim1454

From the sounds of it, I just shouldn't bother going into one of the A&F stores! I wouldn't find anything that fits!

But Guitar Girl, I have to admit that I've bought some stuff recently at American Eagle Outfitters - cuz I thought the stuff looked cool, and in my insanity thought I should be wearing some 'younger' looking clothes. I didn't think the prices for some stuff were bad - in fact I bought a pair of cool looking jeans for only $20 on the clearance rack. (Come to think about it, they were probably on the clearance rack because they were a size 36, and only thin people generally shop there! Oh well - worked in my favour!)

But some stores just look SO COOL - even from the outside, that I won't bother going in. Not that I'm intimidated, but that the prices will be too high and the look just won't suit a 36 yo accountant...

14. kevinx519

its hard for me to determine whether i hate or like abercrombie. i mean some of their stuff is nice and i admit that i own some abercrombie shirts and jeans. but it does hurt that they only convey beautiful as white only. i mean im asian, so i get a lot of crap sometimes when i wear abercrombie. its like "dont you know that abercrombie hates asians" and im like yeah. but then again, i shop for what looks good. so i guess if something at abercrombie is nice, id buy it. just a dilemma, i guess.

15. Kimi

I have to agree with Jim.
    I shop at AE and there are always clearances going on and if you look through there is like perfectly good looking t-shirt for less then $10. While I can get totally cool t-shirt for that price why would I go to Walmart and buy their clothes?

And about overpriced, yes I know that...I'm not that stupid:dry: But when it comes about buying brand stuff, you have to pay more than it worth for the name of the brand. I don't really think Gucci or Louis Vuitton are that worth but because their name and logs are on it, it's very expensive. Then why people want to buy BMW or Mercedes?? Because they are good quality? Not really? You are buying part of their history, not only clothe and that's why these things are so expensive.

And racial problem? What do you assing about? It's not gonna solve untill one race took over the world. And I know about the problems with the company but...so? It's not gonna make me racist just because I'm wearing their clothes.
    BTW, most of european brand store in the states has racial problem.

16. surfrboykai

triplume, i kinda know where yer friend is coming from. i'm half white and half polynesian, and originally from o'ahu, hawai'i. on the island, someone like me is known as "happa haole" which, like any word, can be fine to be called (it means half white) or it can be derogatory (such as nigger/nigga). but it's not just a racial thing with places like A&F, and american eagle. like i said in an earlier post, those companies are fully responsible for people with eating disorders. and it's not just disorders like anorexia and bulemia, but dudes with the adonis complex as well.

17. surfrboykai

sorry about posting again, but i gotta add these points:

except like, that's exactly what they're saying!

uhm....how is it not their fault? they're telling society what you should look like because they don't include people of every shape, size, and color. they're telling little girls that they have to be a size 0 because you rarely, if ever, see a chick that's bigger than a size 0 in one of their ads

but who determines what "good looking" is? that's right! the fashion and movie industries! back in the 30s-50s, what we consider "chunky" was considered "normal" and "beautiful." look at women like bette davis and marilyn monroe. by our definition, they were what we consider "chunky," hell, we might even call them fat! it wasn't until twiggy came along in the 60s that thin chicks were considered beautiful. but my point is that the movie and fashion industries control what we consider to be hot. it's always been that way, and it's because of them that people starve themselves and make themselves puke.

but what makes their clothes better than walmart's clothes? granted, the only clothes i get from walmart are my socks and my boxer-briefs (which isn't often because i don't wear undies often, but that's another story, yah?) but i don't get why people diss walmart's clothing? it's not like they use shitty materials or anything. the only thing they're lacking is the billboardesque name on the chest

18. Triplume

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Well, I guess I'm an idealist, but I believe we can make progress without having any one race "take over the world". And I'm not saying that people who shop at A&F are racists. But if companies can create these many issues regarding race and body image for profit, not buying their products sends them the message that you don't agree with how they're warping people's standards of beauty.

surfrboykai: I completely agree with you. Even worse is the fact that A&F attracts teenagers and young adults, who are even more susceptible to eating disorders and the like.

19. surfrboykai

yah, it's totally sad. oh, and please (and this goes to everyone else) my name's kai, so there's no need to like, type out my username.

20. jroakwood

im sorry if things i say seem/ed harsh. but its what i think.

models arent supposed to be every shape in my opinion.
    theyre supposed to be IN shape.

i personally, think eating disorders have to do with confidence, and theyre an unhealthy way of trying to get to what you want to look like... and then it just gets out of control.
    its a confidence issue. seems like a personal problem to me. not the industry's.
    how a&f and similar promote this i am unsure?

yeah, they have beautiful models. good.
    but whats the big deal?

and about racism, i think people are getting WAYYY to sensitive in this country over absolutely EVERYTHING.
    like... everything has to be a debate, a protest, an issue.
    like... jeez. abercrombie has in shape, white models? is it really that big of a deal?

im just saying... and i apologize in advance if i offend anyone.
    and im sorry if you find me concieted or superficial or whatever.