1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Americorps

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by kv88, Mar 3, 2010.

1. kv88

Has anyone been or applied to the program? Me I applied to the NCCC program and I am waitlisted for the Fall 2010. I really do want to be part of this experience and bring inspiration to others. I stayed positive so far (as I doubted the interview) and will keep a positive attitude on it.

2. Shevanel

It's definitely in the type of field that I want to be involved with at some point in the near future. So maybe soon :slight_smile:

3. Connor22

I'm guessing it's an american only thing but what is it?

4. Shevanel

5. kv88

Basically its like Peace Corps but in America.

BTW, don't trust everything you see in Wikipedia

----------

Good luck!

6. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I had the pleasure of meeting a team of Americorps workers when the Sacramento Gay-Lesbian Center was remodeling and they turned out to help. What a great bunch of people! Assembled from all over the US, with a very motivating attitude and a willingness to jump in and do what needed to be done. And nearly all of them have pretty major plans for after their Americorps time is over. These are, I think, some of the cream of the crop of Americans :slight_smile:

7. kv88

That is so awesome!

8. kv88

WOW! It's been a long time since I've been in this forum! I recently just graduated from the Americorps National Community Civilian Corps (NCCC) program and I was in the North Central Region Campus. The home base for that was in Vinton, Iowa and we served in the Mid-west as well as helping out in the South! I was in it for 10 months (left last May and came back home on February).

All I have to say that experience has been life changing as I've grown a lot and experienced a lot. The people I've made friends with, helped, etc were very wonderful.

The projects my team did was in our first round was working with the Nature Conservancy in Indiana taking on invasive plant and tree species out in the wetlands. Let me tell you it was intense with the heat (me being from Alaska lol), the mosquitoes (OH GOD!), and getting stuck and falling in the mud made it memorable! This is my top favorite project since this our very first and working as a team together.

Second project was working at the National Mississippi Museum and Aquarium in Dubuque, Iowa! That project was interesting as we made cattaill matts for the wikiup (a Native American dwelling) (what was so funny as well in our first project we were killing cattaills and then we ended up using them in our second), talked to the public, moved an entire library to a new building, and as well working in the animal husbandry department which was fun!

Third project was a split, for the first half we were in Omaha, Nebraska working with Habitat for Humanity. To be honest at first I was hesitant because I'm not really great at construction but once we started to get working on a variety of things, I really enjoyed it. I came over my fear on working the roof and now I can feel comfortable being on there. The only con was that I didn't get to meet any of the homeowners. The other half of the project was setting up a non-profit organization called Santa's Children Christmas Village in a small, small town in Macedonia, Iowa (pop 300!). Our sponsor throughout the year goes to hospitals, camps, etc dressed as Santa to visit sick kids. What we did was set up his website, called potential sponsors, organized his place and setting up a youth volunteer seminar to encourage youth volunteerism. It was pretty interesting as well we got to see how small town politics worked.

Our last project was in New Orleans, Louisiana! We worked with this non-profit called the United Saints Recovery Project. What we did was home repairs, such as siding, painting, etc. One of our main tasks was to lead volunteers. I did lead one and I was nervous but I loved the people I worked with! This project was totally awesome! The homeowners, the people were really friendly! We got a tour in the Lower Ninth Ward (where most of the damage was done by Katrina), the place was really empty, hardly anything there. We saw the cement steps of homes and empty lots. Being there made me feel the impact of the damage, the hurt etc. On a lighter note, the homes being re-built there had really cool designs and I think they were the homes designed by Brad Pitt.

Over all this program has shaped me into being more driven. I joined the program because I wanted to look at world beyond myself, help people out and as well find direction. The people in the program are pretty cool and I've met some other gay corps members as well. On a side note I went to gay bars and clubs on my free time (very fun and eye opening as well), went on my first date (very awkward!), and I went to a It Get's Better Event and I did a video message. I remember being hesitant to do the vid, but then I thought of teens who are having a hard time and just did it!

Here's the vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDASaqlzahg

Now I'm back, still not sure what to do but I'm going with the flow at the moment. I really miss my team, despite all the drama, I miss all the laughs and conversations.

One interesting fact about my team is that everyone was from different states, Georgia, Connecticut, Arizona, Oregon, Vermont, Illinois, Michigan, Pennsylvania, Massachusetts, New Jersey, and me, Alaska!

Also in the end of the program, if you complete 80 independent service project hours (where you do other volunteer work outside your sponsor) you can get the education award which $5,350!

#8 kv88, Feb 14, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2011