1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

To the members in your twenties and older

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by kv88, Mar 5, 2010.

1. kv88

How are you liking life after high school? For me, it's like eh, but I know it will get better. High school, I do miss it at times but its a relief because it was hard for me at times mentally and emotionally.

#1 kv88, Mar 5, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2010
  2. MusicIsLife

I love it. I actually have friends now, I have a job, and there's no more social ladder in my eyes. Life is good.

3. kv88

I agree, being out of high school is relief from the whole mean cliquey scene. A lot of the I know from high school grew out of it and are cool with a lot of people.

4. Eponine

Well, I'm not 20 yet, but I've been out of high school for almost 3 years now, so I'll comment anyway. xD

Life after high school has been nice. I don't have any fond memories of it, but it wasn't a hellhole or anything like that for me. I've just moved on to better things. College has been fun.

5. Johnnieguy

Well, I have another degree...Looking for work. I feel like I am on the up and up.

The only reason I "miss" high school is because of how "young" I was (I'm 23 years old, so I'm still young, but when I look at HS'ers-they look so young, and take better care of their bodies than I did/do (I'm trying to change though).

I guess I also miss not having responsibility. Not having to make decisions based on professional opportunities, or which place will have benefits (something that would be solved if the US had a national health care system!!)

6. SolitaryKnight

Well, I've got my BA, been to Europe twice, and now I work and have only small things to worry about. I'd say its gone quite well since I finished high school.

7. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I actually just went on a "girl's weekend" with five of my high school friends. We had so much fun we plan to do it again next year and invite more people! We have alot of great memories from high school that we were able to share and laugh about.

I know alot of you have tough h.s. experiences. I hope that you can look back with some good memories one day!

8. someguy82

I prefer life in my 20s to high school. I've found a career I'm interested in (although need to make it through final semester of law school first), I finally got over the fact that I was gay and came out, and I finally lost my virginity which was nice (very nice).

But just on top of that I've found that the friendships I have now are much more meaningful, and in general I like being an adult. Sure there are things I miss about my youth, but I've found that as life gets more complicated as you get older it certainly gets better.

9. Bryan90

Well.. to sum it all up:

When I was in high school, I thought university would be better,

When I was in university, I realized high school was great; and I thought work might be better.

When I did work, I realized that university is way better.

Along those experiences, I realized that we should just be grateful with what we've got.

10. riddlerno1

Yeah life is much better now. I am more assertive and i realise what i want from life. Welll to a certain extent anyway. I am now doing my doctorate and professionally doing well. Just need to sort out my personal life now!

11. TriBi

I am so far out of high school most of you would probably think I ought to be dead!

But - the thing that I have to say is that, as I have gotten older my life has just gotten better & better. Sure there have been some 'bumps' along the road, but I have seen, done, experienced and lived so much I am really grateful - and I am a long way from finished yet.

Take what life throws at you, make the most of it, take some impetuous or risky decisions every once in a while and 'go with your heart'.

Most importantly - LEARN from what life throws at you - keep an open mind - and keep trying new things. It's a fun ride. :icon_bigg

12. Davo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    To be honest I thought I would miss High School when I left, but I don't. I much prefer my view of the world now than the very very bleak and negative view I had back then, though I didn't have a great time at school. Sure, you miss seeing your friends every day, and I miss the breadth of the learning experience which you don't get after you leave school, but I'm quite happy that its in the past, I hate all that stupid baggage that comes with being at school.

And I didn't particularly enjoy Uni, I do at times miss the freedom of it, but a lot of my experience of uni was very negative. I suppose I do wish I had seized more of the experience of both uni and high school while I was there, but I am glad to be out of both as they were a struggle a lot of the time.

Currently life is good, I'm still stiving to improve it as there are some issues that are really bothering me, I am currently undergoing a change of jobs to try and sort that out, but I love what I do, I love being paid for what I do, and working with other professionals. Its not perfect, but it can be improved and I hope to do that.

13. Zume

High school was painful for me. I was that overweight, nerdy, card-playing band geek who has little to no friends and was always looked down upon and spat on by the jocks and people higher on the social ladder. Seeing all of those same kids outside of high school..them looking like hell:roflmao:.. and myself being a happier, healthier person than I was in high school.. It's much nicer being out even though I do, like others, miss the bliss of having no real responsibilites like jobs, bills, taxes..it's still much better.

14. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I hated high school.

Colege was much more fun, but life now just seems sort of: eh.

15. Emberstone

I am currently in college, so it is about the same. I love it until dead week and finals (this week and the next for me).

16. Meropspusillus

This essentially.

17. RaeofLite

Highschool=your neighbourly pond or mudhole
    Life=the ocean

That's pretty much my analogy. :slight_smile:

And the ocean's beautiful some days and ugly others. But that's part of life. Keep riding the currents and taking things as they come while shooting for the stars.

18. zzzero

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I LOVED highschool. I had a wonderful time, I loved being a part of things there. I really miss being in the drama club and stuff and having real responsibilities and working with people to put on a show (I did lighting design). A lot of people from my home town hated high school and they'd rather just forget it, but I think that's just because they thought they were supposed to hate it because that's what society says we should do.

That being said, I'm loving college too! I love the program i'm in. I went to a different college my freshman year and hated it so I changed that and now i'm where I want to be.

To be honest I think life is what you make of it. If you want it to be fun and exciting and you want to be able to love all of it, you will! Hating things is really just you convincing yourself that it's bad and you should be hating it.

Also I should mention that there was no clear social hierarchy in my high school (to me atleast) so I guess I never had to deal with bullies or anything. Everyone did their own thing and no one really cared what you did so long as you were nice. (Yay Massachusetts!)

#18 zzzero, Mar 6, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2010
  19. Zumbro

High school kinda seems nice when you're there. See your friends all the time, not a ton of work, don't have to worry about money. It seems terrible looking back on it though. After high school is so much better, even if just because you don't have to live with your parents influence or approval for everything anymore.

20. dude99

dude99 Guest

Well a big difference from school to now. If you are percieved to be different then you are the outcast then which I was. Now life is much better.