1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hobbies

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Jeimuzu, Aug 27, 2007.

1. Jeimuzu

A random curiosity thread! What do you do to pass the time?
    • Music
    • Computer games
    • Playing guitar
    • Walking
    • Sometimes drawing

That's my list.
    • I love listening to music, I've got heaps of it, and I've pretty much always got a gig or festival planned in the future - currently, Alexisonfire in November. After that... maybe Wacken '08?

• I'm playing Oblivion at the moment. I've completed it before, but then while randomly rounding up monsters and robbing people's houses, my save went corrupt, so I'm back at the beginning again. Well, kinda. I'm quite quick at it, so I'm in charge of the mages guild. I'm also playing Bioshock - which is awesome - Pro Evo 6, and occasionally Diablo II. :grin: Uber-retro!

• I've been a guitarist of some sort since summer '04. I started as a 4-string bassist, moved to five string after a while, then took up electric guitar, got bored, and now I mostly play a classical Santos Martinez electro-acoustic. I wrote some music, and it can be found here: Myspace.

My other guitars are a Tanglewood Rebel-5k 5-string bass, an Encore 4-string beginner strat P-Bass that I loaned to a friend, an Ibanez Gio - technically my brother's - and a Stagg Les Paul copy (My brother now has this - we kinda swapped).

• Walking should always be combined with an MP3 player. Also, I'm getting some proper walking shoes for my birthday, which is good. My feet consist mostly of blisters. My Vans shoes aren't really standing up to the test of time like my last pair did, but still... a year, and they're still in one piece - that still beats Converse.

• I was in the Isle of Wight earlier in the summer, and out of slight boredom I started sketching still life, which was more fun than I expected it to be. I've not really done it much since then, but I'm still uber-proud of my oasis bottle. :grin:

#1 Jeimuzu, Aug 27, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2007
  2. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

My main hobby, though I haven't done much since moving house recently, is collecting and restoring vintage radios (mainly ones using valves/tubes). I have always been interested in electronics, but modern electronics has gone well past the stage where anyone can build or even fix things without expensive equipment and extremely good eyesight. I get a lot of pleasure in making something that to many people looks like a bit of old junk, and repairing and restoring it to as close as possible to its former glory. I run a website and forum about this too.

We like the Isle of Wight. We went there on holiday last year (Sandown) and are going back for another short break in a couple of weeks. There isn't a lot for teenagers and young people there though.

3. Jim1454

Not too many hobbies here...

• washing my car :icon_wink
    • reading fiction - love John Grisham law stuff...
    • jogging - try to get out 3 times a week
    • reading and posting in EC! (!)
    Not too exciting!

4. Axel

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Guitar
    Lasers
    Computers
    Manga/Anime (writing and reading)
    Machinery of all kinds
    I build many things, potato guns, EMP rifles, stun guns. lots of stuff

5. Jeimuzu

That's quite an interesting hobby! :grin: I can see how that'd be intriguing. I wouldn't have any clue where to start, though.

Ooh, Sandown? I was in Ventnor. There's a little village called Bonchurch, we stayed in the Westfield apartments. Lovely place, no denying it. When you're in Sandown next, go to the Isle of Wight zoo, the tigers are beautiful.

But yeah, it's not really a young person place. It'd probably be alright if you knew people, and knew the right pubs, etc, but there's nowhere to make friends. That last holiday was the first time I've ever been on holiday and not made a single friend while there.

6. paul7836

Bass.
    Computer stuff (maintaining servers)
    EC
    takeing walks/runs/whatevers

Sorta sad. I guess i need another hobbie

7. bvtsjm116

bvtsjm116 Guest

Drawing
    Anime
    Computer Games

And thats about all, no wonder I am so bored all the time.

8. Today4U

Replicating movie props and costumes (Mainly Back to the future and Harry Potter)

Singing, dancing, musical theater, acting...

playing Trumpet

Juggling/ unicycling / stilt walking

9. Torture

Torture Guest

Hm, I'm a very boring kid but my hobbies are.

• Music (I cannot stand silence).
    • Photoshop CS (I love making pictures).
    • Talking on forums (Forums like EC and NastyZ28).
    • Sleeping in (So I can stay up all night).

See, boring.

10. JayHew

In Loving Memory Regular Member

Hobbies are for sure a luxury: reading, fishing (especially Fly fishing) Photography, ATV'ing into the high country for scenic views, music usually playing in the background all the time or wear iPod. Am hardly ever bored now days though.

What I do during my seasons, weeks, months, etc:

1) Cut trees down and haul to house, buck up into firewood and split and stack in wood shed
    2) Clear growth from around buildings on property (fire prevention)
    3) Head down to special area in summer, catch loads of salmon, clean fish in numbers, bag and freeze for later use.
    4) Prep fish, brine over night, into smoker next day, smoke for 6-8 hours, remove from rack, cut up and place in canning jars, load canner, can fish (about a 3 hour process per batch) takes four batches to yield a little over four cases of smoked salmon
    5) Berry pick, blueberry, raspberry, high bush cranberry, low bush cranberry, currents, Red and Black, Sky berries
    6) Make jam and jellies and sometimes syrup with berries - takes a few days for each kind.
    7) Fix, repair or build around the home site. Always something to be done there.
    8) Change out nozzles on furnace, hot water heater (oil fired) and tune up Toyostoves for winter
    9) Skills needed around here: Carpentry, plumbing, electrician, dozer operator, mechanic and welder, I use them all
    10) Cook, baker, dishwasher, maid
    11) Regular work routine now and again (Thank goodness for semi-retirement)
    12) Hobbies as above
    13) Winter activities: Snow machine travel to various places, wood gathering, Home entertainment
    14) Putting together and operating a B&B

So if anyone is overly bored, give me a shout and you can come here, always plenty to do and for sure never a boring day.

11. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I don't have much time for hobbies. I guess one of my hobbies IS volunteering here at EC, at PFLAG, and with Basic Rights Oregon. I also volunteer for a couple organizations associated with my job in child care. I like to learn new stuff on the computer but I need a good tutor! I collect porcelein dolls, tea pots, and Christmas ornaments. I kind of go crazy at Christmas putting up two trees and decorating the house.

12. Zec24

I don't have much free time either being in college, but when I do I enjoy reading (outside of class texts), hiking, camping, traveling, adventure in general, taking long walks with friends, rollerblading (haven't done it in a while), playing sports, and sleeping
    (I consider it a hobby because there have been weeks where all I've gotten is about 8hrs total for a week). I also like fixing things when I have time to sit down and play around with broken stuff, like I fixed my parents vacuum cleaner this summer when I was home.