1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Two-Spirits - Homosexuality in native cultures

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Sylver, Mar 8, 2010.

1. Sylver

I've been doing research on Native North American Indian and First Nations spirituality (often called shamanism) and it has led me to other interesting discoveries about the original inhabitants of our continent. One very interesting revelation to me is their take on homosexuality. While definitely not universal across all tribes, most had both an allowance and a respect for what they called "Two-Spirit" people, people who we would today lump under the LGBT label. Many went on to become Shamans themselves.

I live in a city with a high native population, and while most have been seriously damaged by "integration" into our modern society, there is somewhat of a "renaissance of the old ways" underway. Apparently there was an "Intertribal Native American/First Nations Gay and Lesbian Conference" held here in Winnipeg back in 1990 where they refined this "Two-Spirit" term;

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two-Spirit

I found this interesting take on a two-spirited boy in a Yaqui tribe which I present as an example of the respect they had for LGBT people;

(source - Andrew Calimach, World History of Male Love, "Homosexual Traditions", The Two-Spirit Traditon, 2000 www.gay-art-history.org/gay-history/gay-customs/native-american-homosexuality/two-spirit-native-american-gay.html)

And yet nowadays local natives are just as likely to be homophobic as the rest of us (I have no data to support this, only experiential). I would blame that squarely on the "religification" of these peoples by missionaries and the institutionalized homophobia brought with them.

So it seems that our predecessors may have been much more enlightened about LGBT issues than we are today. Does anyone have any other information, perspectives or thoughts on homosexuality in aboriginal cultures? Please share! :thumbsup:

2. Kid Quasar

I have heard of this before.

From what I recall when someone was believed to be two-spirited they were tested. When one is determined to be two-spirited they would take on the tasks of both a man and a woman. Some would weave basket and cook, then hunt and forage the next day.

It was very interesting to learn about. Since my school has a native american theme to it, this might be interesting for our GSA. Thanks for bringing this up.

3. Emberstone

I agree with the issue of religification in part, but I think that was less about religion so much as it was about intigrating them into european style western societie. It used to be common for all over the nation, experically in the midwest and south, for there to be indian schools, set up to teach natives to replace their culture and beliefs with the one of the teacher. A sad and cruel fact of american history. It was not simply a matter of religious belief; anything that didnt fit with the selected view of normal had to be stripped away, including how you talked, and what you wore. the majority mob mentality.

I knew of the Two-spirit before, but I think even greater beyond just itself, it remind us of a great truth. Before the abreamic religions (jewdisem, chrstianiy, and islam), homosexality/bisexuality/transgendersiem were welcomed norms. We can trace that history back farther than we can trace the religions that have demonized it.

4. Sylver

Good point, and duly noted!

5. Alex19

well, im italian. before religion came into the picture, im pretty damn sure italy (along with the rest of europe) was completely accepting of it. but, religion destroys everything so, whatever.

6. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    One of the more interesting interpretations about gay and lesbian people comes from the concept of reincarnation. Making the large leap that you believe in reincarnation (and I'm not seeking to start a debate on it), it is said that men who are gay have spent a large number of previous lifetimes as females, and when the incarnate into the present lifetime, there's still a strong imprint of the attraction for men on the soul, which manifests as homosexuality. (Same, obviously, for lesbians.)

Equally interesting, those who are called to be shamans, medicine men, spirit healers and the like are often thought to be older souls, and as such, have had many lives both as men and as women, so their souls have evolved to the point where they connect to the soul of a person, rather than just that person's physical attributes. And since the soul is sexless, it means that these older souls can be attracted to both men and to women, and don't feel any discomfort about attraction to either.

I don't know specifically how this would fit into specific native american tradition or culture, but I do know that a surprising number of shamans, medicine healers, and the like are same-sex attracted, or at least bisexual.

7. RaeofLite

Wow Chip, that's really interesting. Believe it or not, that did cross my mind. If reincarnation is real, it would make sense about our attractions. Of course none of us are going to know what's real really-since if reincarnation does occur, then we're likely to forget all that happened to us.

But there are so many theories, so little actual knowledge.