1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Parents & Your Interests

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Tim, Mar 8, 2010.

1. Tim

Tim

So, I've noticed for a while that my mom is very annoyed if I ever do anything that would be considered Feminine. Even brush my hair. (I would never brush my hair until high school, XD) She even gets mad at times, for no reason whatsoever, just because of things like I like pink more than blue, etc.

Was wondering if anyone else have parents who are like this, getting annoyed at you for liking what you like? (Other than boys/girls :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:)

2. Mind Freak

You're not alone at all!

The things I like would be considered girly though; I give myself manicures, pluck my eyebrows, and wear makeup and it bugs the crap out of my mom to the point where I have to sneak and do it. Idk why it bothers her so much. I get compliments a lot about those things. Except for the makeup; people just say "Your skin looks really nice!" not "Your makeup looks nice." so it looks natural not like I have false eyelashes and pink eyeshadow on.

But she doesn't like it.

I'm not sure if she thinks it's because "I want to me a girl" (I don't and even if I did it's my battle not hers) or if it's because she thinks I have low self esteem (I don't.) I just like to keep up with myself. But it's whatever!

Be your own person; you can't please everyone all the time and that goes for parents too unforuntately. Hopefully it's easier for you to do what you like than for me since you're 20. Lol.

3. gaz83

gaz83 Guest

thankfully i dont have to worry bout what the parents think anymore. its great. infact the only real issue that seems to ever have cropped up is the amount of time i spend online.

4. mydogstewie

My parents get annoyed when I wear girls pants, even though they know none of the guys skinny jeans aren't tight enough haha

5. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My mom actually tells me when I need to do something like pluck my eyebrows, moisturize my skin, bake something, or do something otherwise considered feminine. She always has, so maybe that's got something to do with why I'm gay in the first place. Pretty much all my interests are approved by her (I'd still do them even if they weren't though).

My step father on the other hand, already calls me a fag for being in the same room as him. If he knew what any of my interests were I am fairly certain he wouldn't like any of them.

6. gaz83

gaz83 Guest

i dont like the sound of your stepdad. he needs taken down a level or two. how any family member can speak to u like that is disgraceful.

7. RaeofLite

...yes.

Some examples:
    -I remember when I was 11. I loved buying lego, making it, and playing with it and my Star wars action figures. Mom thought that was 'too guyish' and said "girls don't really do that." She later said I should grow up since I was becoming a woman, (made me feel ashamed of liking all that stuff) and helped me pack up my lego. :frowning2:
    -Whenever we'd go shopping (in my teens), she'd give me all the girly tops and tell me to try them on. I like some feminine things, but only on occasion. And this just infuriated me. I've cried a few times in changeroom stalls as a result. So, I never go shopping with her anymore. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    -When I do dress feminine, she makes a big deal about it saying 'aw you're such a beautiful young lady.' (And she used to say that I looked like a slob and guys would never hit on me if I dressed 'down' or wore casual clothing.) She sometimes makes comments about the casual clothing but she has so far stopped making the comments about guys since I came out to her. That took a while though.
    -When I'm watching an action movie or thriller, science fiction (Star wars etc) she'll make comments like "you're so much like your dad," sigh and then leave the room.

So yes, I feel your pain. :confused:

For now though you'll get a (*hug*) from me. Parents who were brought up differently and don't fully understand different sexual orientations or gender identity will probably make a fuss with this. But really she shouldn't make a fuss... I mean my sister is super girly and feminine enough for the both of us. :lol:

I'm trying to adhere to the mindset that it'll fade in time. And she'll accept me for me.

8. erod123

my parents hate it when i straighten my hair they go crazy sayin "why are you tryin to look like one of them Emo fags" or like when i go clothes shoppin wif my mom and i wanna get somethin out of the ordinary she always criticising me telling meh that all the clothes i pick out are tacky and all that stuff and i just hate it 7:^<

9. Zach1992

My mom is great when it comes to femme stuff. She let me play with my barbies, bake, etc.

My dad on the other hand is not so cool with it. He doesn't stop me from doing stuff liking wearing skinny jeans, but he sure does bitch up a storm because of it.

10. Shevanel

"When are you going to get a haircut?"
    "When are you going to get a better job?"
    "When are you going to go back to college?"

You know, the usual.

Oh, the worst one.
    "Can you lower your music? I have a headache"
    Even my sister does that to me.

11. Strawberry

Well, no one is like that to me anymore, because I no longer have any interest in doing the things they don't like, but when I was little, my grandma didn't like how I dressed. I went through a stage from about 6 to 9 years old when I'd only wear boy clothes. Not wanting to be cruel to a little child, she never said anything to my face, but a couple of years ago, the things she REALLY said were revealed. Some of them were really quite hurtful... She thought it was all my mom's fault and that my mom probably "messed me up" for allowing me to wear whatever.

12. Kirakishou

Pretty much everything I do, my parents disapprove of.

13. So yeah, i want to do makeup for a career xD
    [​IMG]

They just want me to make enough money to move out and not need support from them. Nothing i do that is outwardly or stereotypically gay annoys or makes them mad, just the fact that i'm a teenager.

14. Breakdown

my parents let me play soccer when i was younger, an play with boy toys lol like lill dump trucks, cars etc etc.

bt now they r saying i need 2 b more girly like my twin sister an old sister.

when eva i go shoping with my twin she makes me try on girly cloths lol an says u need 2 stop wearing dark colors etc etc, even my mum wants me 2 dress more girly.

i jst dnt like wearing girly cloths.

bt dad loves it when i help him with guy stuff like building an whateva so i cant really please them either way haha

15. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You might want to watch "Edge of Seventeen." It deals with some of those issues. What it boils down to is your mom is still having trouble accepting you as you are, and embracing the fact that you're gay and what that means for you. Depending on where she is the the rest of her acceptance, and how long you've been out to her, it could take a few months or several years for her to come around, but I'm pretty confident that she will.

I'm sure it's hard at this stage, but just keep your head held high, and perhaps say something like "I know you might have difficulty undertstanding where I am with this or what I'm going through, but I'd appreciate it if you'd do your best to support me. It would mean a lot." That might be all it takes to make her realize that what she's doing comes across as unsupportive.

16. adam88

Get a really nice pair of headphones and a dedicated headphone amp. Then pump it. :grin:

17. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

My mom actually buys me pink shirts now because she knows I like them xD . My parents really don't care how I dress, or what I do to myself.

18. SaturdaySaviour

My mother never accepted the fact that I don't want the confirmation sacrament and I have to do it because she wouldn't know what to say to the rest of the family. Yeah, that's the first thing that comes to my mind.

Also, she did make some remarks about my boyish clothes I wore few years ago.

19. Zach1992

I love that movie. It's kind of sad though... :slight_smile:

20. ThePug

My mom is very accepting of who I am, so I've never had this problem. I seem to try to give her fashion advice as much as I can, more than the other way around. :grin: