1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Offended at work?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Zume, Mar 9, 2010.

?

Have you ever been offended at work?

1. Yes

10 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. Mildly

7 vote(s)
    28.0%
  3. No

8 vote(s)
    32.0%
  1. Zume

Today we had training at work. Normally the guy doing the training likes to put on a video or something that is amusing. Today, one video he showed was not that amusing (and I normally like Monty Python!) The guy doing the training started with the phrase "What do you think would happen if "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" was repealed?" I thought it was gonna be some crude joke, or waiting for responses from the other people in the room..but it was silent..then he put on this video which mildly offended me in combination with his comment... :dry:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTQrCjP14tA[/YOUTUBE]

2. gaz83

gaz83 Guest

i wouldnt take it too badly. maybe the guy doin ur training didnt realise he would offend anyone.

3. the ry guy

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    lol my present job not so much, other jobs i've had before a lot more than my current

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Personally, I find stuff like that absolutely hilarious, but it depends on his intent in saying it. If he's homophobic, then it has a different connotation than if he's just an average person.

I regularly say to my friends (and they to me) "That's about the gayest thing I've ever heard you say" or "FAG!!!" when one or another of us does something stereotypical... but we're also pretty comfortable with all of the stereotypes and realize that a lot of them are rooted in reality, at least to some extent. And none of us take ourselves very seriously. But I can also understand that for people who aren't as comfortable, it could be offensive.

5. EM68

Almost weekly someone makes a homophbic remark. That is why for the most part I'm in the closet at work. I hate it!! :frowning2:

6. Sylver

I've seen that Monty Python clip before and I don't find it very funny, but I tend to be sensitive to most "gay humor" that plays on stereotypes. But I really think it's inappropriate for them to be showing that as a training video at work. Exactly what kind of training were they doing that they needed to use this as a prop? What kind of positive workplace message can this video possibly send? Sounds like it was just being used to start things off with a crude laugh, and I think it's wrong. I'd complain to the trainer.

7. Brandford

Not actually work, but at school I work at our student run credit union and a few weeks ago, a boy came in with a deposit and he used a check with pink flowers all over it. Well we did the deposit and after the boy left I said to my Teacher and the Credit Union boss that it was a nice check and he said "No, that a gay check, look at it". And he continued to make little jokes about it and I didn't say anything because he is in fact a teacher and my teacher in my programming class but I did find it very inappropriate for him to say something like that.

8. Zume

I enjoy monty python and skits like this as well..but the context he put it in..as though when DADT gets removed that this will happen. Basic chit chat is fine with me too..like the banter between your friends sounds like me and a few of my friends. But like I said..the context in which the guy doing the training put it in was rather offensive

9. MusicIsLife

Monty Python!!! :grin:

Never be offended by monty python skits in terms of homophobia and such. Graham Chapman was gay, so none of the skits are intentionally homophobic.

For me at work ive only been mildly offended by the shipping/receiving guys, as they treat me like a man, which I hate. I'm lucky and everyone where I work is really open and liberal.

10. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

I was waiting to punch in at my old job and a girl said to me, "Don't be such a fag, punch in early" or something along those lines. She said it in front of one of the store managers. The manager didn't reprimand her or anything.

11. riddlerno1

I can only remeber one instance when i felt slightly offended. It was a guys birthday and everyone at work got him a card and signed it. When he opened it, he was counting the kisses from the girls saying you know owe me this many kisses. He looked at my message and said 'why no kisses from you?'. I said come here then and i'll give you a kiss cos i thought that was funny. One of the managers sitting in the office goes "oh my god, thats so disgusting". The room kinda went silent and i just walked out. i would have liked to say something but was just too shocked.

12. biisme

Someone at my work said bisexuals are "horny bastards who just want an orgasm any way they can get it."

13. fragomatrick

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I dont think you are ever supposed to be upset at work. Besides , I think the video is funny. Lets not overthink . Leave that for the straights!

hahahaha !