1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marriage in general

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by kv88, Mar 11, 2010.

1. kv88

How do you guys feel about marriage? For me, I don't know if I want to get married, the thought of being tied down or tying someone else down does not go well with me. A lot of this has to do with personal experiences and issues, I guess I just don't want anyone to get hurt in the end (and have it end badly or just drift apart). But I still keep that option open and never say never.

2. RaeofLite

I used to feel like that. I'm not sure I feel the same now... but I mostly feel that way when I'm single and a little grumpy with the idea of not having a lady friend. :dry: Haha.

I think in due time (years from now... maybe eight-eleven years from now) I can see myself getting married. Maybe. If I find the right lady. :slight_smile:

3. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I want to be married someday. My parents’ marriage ended in divorce, and I’ve never really witnessed a healthy loving relationship between two grown adults, but I so badly want to get married. I think of it not so much as a ceremony or a religious thing, but a declaration of love. Like standing before the world and telling them, “I love this person so much and I am going to dedicate my life to making them happy and being happy with them.”

Marriage isn’t for everyone, so if someday my partner never wants to get married then it is a dream I could give up. In order to get what I want out of a relationship we wouldn’t have to be married to be happy. And happiness is all I want out of the deal.

4. Aoifeee

Not so big on marriage at all :/ I hate the idea of the wedding day and anniversaries...Love and commitment shouldn't be pinned down to one day a year :/

5. Johnnieguy

I absolutely will get married, and I'm not going to wait for my state/country to recognize it either. I can go to Canada to get a license. There are chuches in Minnesota which will perform the ceremony. All I need is to find the right boy.

6. RaeofLite

The only thing is, if you get a partner for life, you'll probably want to share benefits and be want to be able to visit them in the hospital and what not. And by being married, you can do that whereas only family can visit you in the hospital if you aren't. And if you're not married, you can't legally be considered 'family'. I think that's a main issue in our fight for marriage. That, adoption rights, benefits and the solidarity of it.

7. Johnnieguy

It's going to come and I will be legally married in the USA when that time comes, but if I'm ready to be married when I am 27 years old (hypothetical, random age) and marriage equality is not yet achieved, it won't stop me from referring to myself as married. That's my only point.

When people talk with me about my future, they use the term "partner" and I always have to correct them and say "no, I will have a HUSBAND."

I think society today is better about the hospital visitation rights. When my prof was dying in the hospital, the staff was extremely gracious and kept asking when Gary (his husband/"partner") would be coming in. Then again, this is Minneapolis, MN and things aren't the same in the rest of America.

8. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Agreed! I hate when people use the term partner rather than husband/wife. I know it's only a word, but it makes a huge difference to me!

9. kv88

Oh my gosh so right on! I am so annoyed with the term 'partner'. If I was married I would say husband!

10. lostinthought9

I totally wanna get married someday. I have no clue when or where that might be though.

11. RaeofLite

I do agree with you all on this. However, I think it's used in a broad legal term used to incorporate everyone into the terms of marriage. I hear it being used more and more on the news, whenver counsellors talk, they generally use the term 'partner' even for heterosexual couples. I think this way, it's also a way of making people in a same sex relationship not feel outed constantly to people they're not out to yet. I don't know, that's how I see it. It may be seen as more politically correct? Even though literally it's not. It's kinda vague.

Example: A guy is married to his husband but isn't out at work. Yet at work they use the term 'partner' referring to their significant other so this way he doesn't lie, yet doesn't feel awkward saying "me and my 'boyfriend' or husband did this last weekend..."

12. jazzrawr

Eh, I might. It all depends on the right ladeh. ;D
    I like the idea of getting married, but I wouldn't have a conventional ceremony. Those are boring. I'd spice it up. :grin:

13. shimmersky

Agreed.
    White dress = no imagination.

Now, a rainbow tux, on the other hand...

14. RaeofLite

Haha, I like your thinking. I think a garden wedding or a small ceremony on a beach would be cool. As would riding away on a motorcycle or riding an elephant with "Just married" on the back.

15. Mysterons

Mysterons Guest

No, I don't think I'll ever marry. To me, it couldn't be less romantic, as if I had to sign a contract with the person I love. You don't need to get married to throw parties anyway :grin:.

16. Étoile

I so want to get married one day. To me, marriage is an expression of love and ultimate commitment, not some religious or traditional practice. I'm not sure how the wedding will be, but I know I want a lemon cake and fly away in a hot air balloon.

17. NickT

I plan on moving to Canada or at least to a gay-friendly (politically) state so I can get married. I'm an introvert, and I like privacy and all, but I really want to have a loving relationship for life. =/

18. JB1986

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I plan on doing the same thing. "Partner" just sounds weird to me, and it almost feels like I'm saying "well, I'm not as good as you straight people so I have to say partner." Fuck that shit. I fully plan on referring to my man as my *husband* when I get married eventually.

Yeah, me too. I'm considering Canada mostly because I can get married anywhere in Canada, and it's so close to Michigan anyway (I seriously live about 30 minutes or so from the U.S./Canada border.) I just want to have it be legal, and I honestly don't being second best in that regard.

I'm not quite sure what type of wedding I want, I just know I don't want a traditional church wedding with black tuxes. That's boring. I'll give myself time to mull this over. :icon_bigg

19. Brandford

I definitely want to get married, everyone blames marriage for relationship problems but I think its the people who make it harder not marriage itself. People say marriage is hard but I think thats bull and its just a psychological thing. I also agree with that whole partner crap, calling someone your partner to me has no emotion to it like calling someone your husband does. I think Husband and Wife have alot more meaning than the word partner, I will never use the word partner to describe my significant other. I want a small wedding with just family members who really desire to attend and I want one of us to wear a white tux while the other wears a black one.

20. I think iv'e got too many years ahead of me to even think about it lol