1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jobs.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by jroakwood, Aug 27, 2007.

1. jroakwood

I was just wondering what everyone here does for work, especially you teenagers, as i am finnaly getting a job again and i wanna see what other people do and if they enjoy it or not.
    :icon_bigg

2. Chaos

Well, I work part time at a restaurant. It's fast food and pretty bad, but it's not too busy and is kind of slack. I do maintenance on the weekend, or I work as a cashier, or else I make food. I mostly make food and work in the back. I've been there for just under a year. I don't like it and want a new job that doesn't involve food. I make about... $8.10 an hour. Most of the cool people quit or moved on... I so need to move on too, unless of course they give me a hefty raise.

3. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

I don't know what your interests/skills are but I would suggest you avoid working in IT in a large corporate. I did for a couple of years and hated being little more than an instruction following chimp! I did learn some stuff from it though.

I currently work in website design and IT for a small company (about 15 people) which is great. The only drawback is that I am the only person in the company doing this work (it is a retail shop with two online stores) which means there is nobody else to discuss things with at a technical level. However the eCommerce software we use has a good users forum where I can discuss things with other users.

I have always preferred working for smaller companies because there is more involvement with what's going on, and more variety in the work. However some very small companies are very badly run, being for the sole benefit of the family that own it, who have no respect for their employees.

Before the move to IT I have worked in electronics since leaving school. I started on an apprenticeship (training scheme) which involved four days on-the-job training and one day at college per week.

Do you have a specific career direction you want to follow, or are you basically looking for something to just bring in some money for now? If you have a career in mind then it would be worth trying to get a job that starts you on that and gets you some experience, even if the pay is a bit lower. Of course starting at the bottom can mean you get the shitty jobs....

4. Jim1454

I'm a Certified Management Accountant and work in finance for a large telecom company. Previously I had worked at IBM, another very large organization. I like it, but finance and accounting certainly isn't for everyone.

5. kevinx519

well i lifeguard and teach swim lessons to little kids. its a pretty fun job and it allows me to get out more often. doesnt pay too badly either.

6. Over the past 2 weeks, I've applied to about 4 or 5 places in my local area and so far, not much has come through for me.

I hope your job search proves to be more fruitful than mine, mrrolemodel. (*hug*)

7. Jamie

Drammen, Norway (from England originally).
    I work in investments for one of the world's largest banks. It's ok money and the people are nice, but the job is just soooo boring. Can't wait to join the army.

8. Tom

Tom Guest

i work in a butchers so get 2 play with plenty of meat woo!

9. gabriel1

gabriel1 Guest

Are you serious? You would really rather be in the army? I'm not putting you down or anything but I don't see of many people who want to join the Army. What is the Name of the army there? Royal Army? I know of RAF, whats the navy called?

10. Jamie

RAF = Royal Air Force
    RN = Royal Navy
    Army = Army (or British Army if you're from elsewhere)

And yes, the army is the lifestyle I like. It produces fun, action, discipline and the friends you make in the forces are your friends for life. And now that it's legal to be gay and in the forces I don't see why not. OK there's the disadvantage of having to go to combat zones, but at the end of the day you sign up with that risk. But you spend no more than 10% of your time there.

11. Blueeyes

Blueeyes Guest

i work as an aide in a physical therapy office it rocks. i basically just teach patients how to do their exercises and put hot / cold packs on them. i actually learn a lot about physical therapy so its definitely not boring. i also do things like wipe down the therapy tables, do the laundry, and make coffee and i get 10 dollars an hour so its pretty decent money

edit: babysitting, in my town at least, is actually a really lucrative job. i generally get paid 20$ an hour to do so. i babysit this one kid who is in 7th grade and i basically am paid 20$/hour to play videogames with him its amazing

#11 Blueeyes, Aug 27, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2007
  12. Jamie

and all the hot athletes who come by too?? :wink:

13. Kimi

I don't have a job right now...I know I should work...but I'm too busy with school and good thing is that I don't really need to so I'm not even looking for job:eusa_doh:

But I babysat when I was living in the US. I got $7/per hour(I know it's totally sucks) I love kids and I love spending time with kids so I enjoyed alot so it was all good.

14. Torture

Torture Guest

Well, I "worked" at Superstore (Canadian) as a cleaner but am currently unemployed. I will have a job after Christmas tho as a Cleaner at the Movie Theatre.

15. surfrboykai

i work as a photo tech for slavegreens (better known to you non-employees as walgreens)

16. JayHew

In Loving Memory Regular Member

You all pretty much know what I do for a living and have to say it has been overall a great career. As with any career there were the times of frustration and difficulty, but I wouldn't have traded it for anything. I have traveled around here and there and been in many different settings practicing medicine and it has been more reward than anything else.

Now I consider myself semi-retired as I don't go at the grind 24/7 or a 9-5. I do work occasionally now, but mostly working at the B&B we are now establishing. Love doing it and working around the house more, but also being able to go places and do things I have put off before. Great fun now.

17. Kat22

I am a certified Phlebotomist and drug test administrator, and I love it! Not only do I enjoy being in the fast-paced life of the hospital while helping people, it is helping open doors for my future!

There is not, however, a high demand for Phlebs in my town, so I currently work for about $15 LESS than I usually make. I work at a fast food restaurant on weekends, but I also tutor spanish language and english composition and writing to help keep me sane!

18. Rette

I currently work at a Starbucks. It's a wonderful job, but it's incredibly busy.

I'm assuming you're looking for a part-time job to have during school? You should really look at something like a grocery store. I did that for a while when I was 16, it was a decent enough job, and the pay was alright. If you get a job stocking shelves, you won't have to deal with the public too much. Dealing with the public too much tends to make you hate the general population.

19. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm probably going to work in IT in a large corporate (for Uruguayan standards) next summer... so I'm probably going to be an instruction following chimp. However, they pay twice as much as any other job I can get and I need the money really badly, so be it...

At the moment I'm not working (I can't due to my school timetable), but I used to work as a chemistry, math, physics and computer science tutor... It was a relatively well-paying job, but it only gives money before the finals and, well, I have to do my own finals, which aren't easy at all by the way.

20. CrimsonThunder

Fast food and hate it. I'm going for a new job now. I'm going for one at a hotel, eb games and a bank. ^.^