1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

career change info pls =)

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Phixit, Mar 14, 2010.

1. Phixit

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I don’t know if this is appropriate here but this is the only forum I’m a member of so apologies if they annoys some people I’m just trying to get some information!!:

Well, recently I’ve become bored of what I’ve been doing and want to change my career. I think I want to go onto something along the lines of nursing to get myself a good degree and a decent job.

I was wondering do I need any biological or healthcare qualifications cause all my qualifications post GCSE level have been maths/computing/business, I have a GCSE in biology but that was going back 10ish or so years ago!.. Will I need to take an access course before even entering into a nursing program? Will I be able to cope or will I be hugely out of my depth!! .. I’d hate to start a program and end up dropping out or putting someone at risk cause I haven’t got the correct background.

Do nursing degrees/diplomas go back to basics so someone in the search of a career change would be able to cope?

2. gaz83

gaz83 Guest

its never too late to make a change. If your really serious about wanting to do nursing then get yourself along to a college and speak to one of their career advisors in there. they would be the best people to tell you what to do and who you can get in touch with. as long as you have some good grades im sure they will have no problems accepting you onto a course. dont you have any friends that are into that kinda thing or even if they know someone that you can get info from regarding how tough a course it is.

3. Sylver

As gaz83 says, the best advice you'll get is by going directly to the source and asking. Talk to a career counselor or advisor in the faculty and tell them what you'd like to do and what your current qualifications are - they will only be too pleased to help you. That way you'll know precisely what's required and where you stand.

Good luck in the career change - I'm glad you've made this decision, because too many people languish doing things they don't like or that aren't right for them, but they're too afraid to make a wholesale change. You have my sincerest respect for taking this action! :thumbsup:

4. Phixit

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    gaz83 I do have friends in that field yes but they knew they wanted to be a nurse from when they left school i was wondering how easy it would be to transition from something completely different because while i was doing no health based A-levels these friends were all ready taking health courses at college but i'll get my stuff together go see a careers advisers and take it from there!

Thanks for the respect jamesENL

Thanks guys!!

Thanks guys

5. Johnnieguy

A lot of colleges in the Twin Cities metro area offer evening/weekend courses for adults who are already working full-time.

How it works is, you need to have a Bachelors degree. (Arts or Science) and the program is similar to adding a 2nd major. Maybe there are similar programs in your area?