1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Felling Good- Then It All Goes to Hell...Literally

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by RAJ Aladdin, Mar 14, 2010.

1. RAJ Aladdin

RAJ Aladdin Guest

So, family and I were watching "Desperate Housewives" as we do every Sunday and if you've been keeping up there is a new storyline with Katherine Mayfair exploring Lesbianism. My mom said aloud, as Robin Gallagher (the female stripper on the show) went to kiss her new lover Katherine, that the two were "wicked". I asked why? She said because "It's a sin! God made Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve (how many times do we have to hear that?), did He not?" And I said "Yes, you are right, God did make Adam and Eve, but why is what those two do wrong?" And she was like "It's in the Bible" and I asked "Oh, yeah? Which book?"

Mom stood there silent for several minutes until she blurted out every book of the Bible she could think of, ALL New Testament! LMAO! And I said proudly "Yeah, right!" LOL! She totally lost the battle! I explained to her that it says you can't work on weekends, eat rabbit, eat shellfish (we LOVE Red Lobster), shave (dad is always clean shaven), or disobey you father as a daughter etc in Leviticus. She stuttered trying to come up with some argument but she lost and she knows it. LOL!

I felt very proud knowing that I beat my very Christian mother in an argument about Christianity but it also reaffirmed something in me I thought she could get over...

She won't accept me anytime soon for having feelings for boys...

Win-Lose situation. :bang:

2. paco

paco Guest

(*hug*)

we accept you.

but you know you're making her question her traditional thinking, even if it doesn't seem like it, you're making a difference and one day she may notice that she doesn't feel the same as she once did.

3. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey! (*hug*) I know it can be really hard listening to what your mum said. As paco mentioned you are making her think about her beliefs and maybe watching that show together might also help in that despite she said that "it is a sin" it can still provoke some further thoughts about it. Maybe she will 'get over it' at some point.

At the same time, I wouldn't feel or think too much about the idea that your mum will never accept you. Often times, and although it might be hard for your mum to understand you and come around to it at first, parents do come around and realize that their son's or daughter's sexual orientation is not in conflict with their religious views or beliefs because the bible doesn't make a reference to homosexuality. Maybe watch the movie(s) Prayers for Bobby and/or The Bible told me so with your mum and see what she says. Sometimes watching movies based on real people and events can also provoke further thought.

Know that we will always be here for you. (*hug*)

4. RAJ Aladdin

RAJ Aladdin Guest

I've actually been trying to change her way of thinking- we watched the episode of "Golden Girls" when Blanche's baby brother comes out and then the episode where he gets engaged to a man. I also watched an episode with my mom and sister of "Wolverine and the X-Men" where Angel's father amputates his son's wings against his knowledge (mutation= symbolic of homosexuality) and my sister said "Mom would do that to us" and mom stayed silent which makes me think maybe she would...

5. paco

paco Guest

i didn't mean soon, it will probably be years, and she won't even know it's happening, and you probably won't see it, but she may have some small revelation one day, and she won't know why, but you will.

6. RAJ Aladdin

RAJ Aladdin Guest

You guys are just too awesome! Thanks for the support!

7. RaeofLite

(*hug*) Why would any decent God send people to hell for loving one another? It's not like we're out raping and pillaging... And from waht I've seen many gay people seem to be the most accepting, non judgemental people on the planet. Peace, love and happiness. :slight_smile:

And good for you for standing up to her. I'm sure she'll have to think for a while about the Bible's... and her upbringing. I'm sure that'll be tough on her, but I'm proud of you.

I take it you're not out to her yet?