1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Opinions on rainbow jewelry/clothing

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Geradeth, Mar 17, 2010.

1. Geradeth

Though I have yet to be brave enough to where it in public, I do own a necklace with a rainbow pattern on the front. That being said, I was just wondering, what is everyone's opinion on rainbow jewelry and/or clothing (as compared to your level of out status if possible)?
    Is it tacky?
    Is it only for political reasons?
    Is it no longer a gay thing anyway?
    Is it essential gay attire?
    Has this thread already been done to death and I should shut up about it?

Just curious....

2. shimmersky

I think it's cute. I wear it sometimes. But, as a femme girl, people probably just assume it's a fashion thing when I do it unless they know.

3. I mean, its nice to spot people who are gay. Too bad the people who i usually see wearing them are ones i wouldn't be interested in xD

Anyways, would i wear rainbow jewelry/clothing? No.

More so because i think the type of style i'm into is more simple. I usually alternate between grey and blue jeans with black, and occasionally white shirts and jackets in that same color range(i don't like to wear white shirts because they kinda wash me out). I don't wear sunglasses, hats, scarves, watches, or bracelets at all.

BTW please don't think i'm a goth or anything xD I just wear dark colors because they look best on me.

#3 RiotPoofBrandon, Mar 17, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2010
  4. paco

paco Guest

i always wear my rainbow wrist bands, mostly cause i never set off any gaydar unless i'm talking about guys, and that topic doesn't come up much.

and does it help? naw not really. straight people don't pick up on what the rainbow means, and gay people rarely see it. but i wear it for me too so i don't forget that i'm out lol.

5. Mogget

Tacky: A lot of it is. The rainbow wristbands (like all variations of the Livestrong band) are tacky. My favorite example of rainbow jewelry is a necklace a lesbian friend of mine wears, it's just six metal rings strung onto a lightweight chain. Pretty, but subtle.

Political: Depends. It's also a way to be out without saying anything. I wouldn't mind adding a touch of rainbow to my attire. I think when used as a bumper sticker or a door feature it's entirely political, the person with it might be gay or an ally. I'm much less likely to assume the driver is him/herself gay than if s/he wore a rainbow shirt.

Not gay: Absolutely is. It can also be about showing support for the community, but rainbow=gay. There's some homophobic groups that are upset about this, actually. They want the rainbow to be a sign of their god's covenant with mankind, a covenant in which we are hellbound sinners :bang:

Essential: Certainly not. There is no essential gay attire. Though it's generally polite to be attired. I have friends that actively work in LGBT rights activism and outreach that never wear rainbows, and friends that are completely and loudly out that don't don the rainbow.

Personally, I'd like a touch of rainbow, but don't feel like seeking out something with the subtlety I want.

6. Just Adam

i think the right piece can be pretty

7. riddlerno1

I have a beaded rainbow bracelet that i only usually wear to pride festivels. I sometimes wear it on nights out but thats usually to let guys know im gay as opposed to anything else.

8. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

As a very masculine-acting guy, I wear rainbow items out of necessity. I limit myself to a bracelet that I made myself (though I am currently making it's replacement, and I may make it a necklace) and a pin on my book bag. Why do I say that I wear them out of necessity? Because I am so masculine-acting, there is no other way for people to know that I am gay without asking me about it or looking at my Facebook page, so rainbow items afford me a non-confrontational way to come out to my friends without needing to tell them individually that I am gay, so when it become relevant to the conversation, I can just bring it up without needing to explain myself. Of course, I also wear it in the hopes that a guy who likes me will make his feelings known to me, but that's probably a pipe dream.

It certainly isn't essential gay attire, but if you are looking to tell people you are gay or show your support for the cause, it's the easiest way to do so.

9. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My opinion: A little goes a long way.

I think rainbow stuff is good in small doses - unless you're going all out for pride or something like that. It's nice to use it as a means of meeting fellow LGBT people and letting them know you're one of them. I don't own any myself, but then again I tend not to wear lots of color anyway. Maybe if I were out to people I'd invest in some just as a means of displaying my pride and letting other gay folk know I'm gay too.

10. Johnnieguy

Plenty of non-gays can wear rainbow bracelets, etc. If nothing else, it shows solidarity. I also have a t-shirt that more or less makes it known that I am gay. It says "gay? fine by me." So it isn't something only a gay person would wear, but it sends a pretty clear signal that I support gay rights. I have yet to be approached by a cute boy to inquire about it though :frowning2:

11. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I just not that into rainbows, buts thats just me,

12. In general, I'm pretty femme, so even when I do wear rainbow most people either don't notice or realize what it means or don't say anything. For example, last week I went skiing and wore a rainbow belt and bracelet all week and nobody said anything. People just don't seem to notice. But I love rainbows anyway :slight_smile:

13. jazzrawr

I wear rainbow stuff all the time. I have two bracelets and a belt - I find it makes it easier to let everyone know that I'm a big homo. :slight_smile:
    Plus, I really like rainbows. ^_^

14. Geradeth

That was exactly my thought pattern when I bought my necklace. I don't have any typical gay guy characteristics either and was hoping (once I've finally outed myself) that it'd help me meet other gays.

15. lostinthought9

This.

I'm pretty masculine, so I'm not really into rainbows and stuff. However, like someone above mentioned, I wouldn't mind putting a Rainbow pin on my backpack or something like that.

16. Aoifeee

If I wear something rainbow it's because I actually just love colour! XD I rarely ever do though...I don't really care if other people wear it, everyone has their own reasons ;P

17. Gaetan

I don't own any and, at least for me, I'm not in a position to really wear them often anyway. I would like a small pin that I can wear as a subtly when I want to, or when I eventually go to pride events.

18. Phoenix

Phoenix Guest

To be perfectly honest, the only time I want to see a rainbow is on the front of a package of Skittles I'm eating out of.

19. Apocalypte

Me too :slight_smile:

I've got a rainbow belt that tends to get switched between various pairs of jeans, and I've also got rainbow beads attached to my house keys. I've also got a rainbow Marriage Equality pin on my backpack.

That said, I'm not exactly the straightest-looking person in the world, I don't need a lot to trigger people's gaydar!

20. Just Adam

rainbows are sooooooooooooo pwetty