1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would you give up on facebook?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by dude99, Mar 19, 2010.

1. dude99

dude99 Guest

Would you ever give up on facebook?

I did and recently permantly deleted my profile. The reason I recently deleted my facebook account as I am really over it. Anyone over it as well? It is fake, and found many of the people there pretentious. I just sick of seeing the status updates of people there and many of it is just annoying. I found some so called friends there turn out there turn into jerks because of facebook.

Plus its full of stalkers as well and I just dont feel that fb is that private and feels the site screws everyone or can screw everyone there on the privacy.

I can understand there would be many here love facebook. But those that love it, can you imagine life without it?

#1 dude99, Mar 19, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2010
  2. Gin Uh Fur

Gin Uh Fur Guest

no i wouldnt give it up. mines private so only friends can see it. i really have 3 facebooks. one for friends and old classmates one for family and one for game gifts.

plus alot of my ec friends are friends on facebook since i tend to spend alot of time away from ec these days

3. Katherine

The land of rednecks and pine trees (Georgia)
    I honestly can't imagine my life without Facebook. Being someone who has an abnormal phobia of phone conversations, it's one of my main forms of communication with my friends. I need the social contact. xD

4. dude99

dude99 Guest

----------

[/COLOR]Well I have poor social skills as well and I believe its being more impeded with facebook and also MSN but thats another topic. As I give up on those sites it will give me more confidence to rely on other means to contact other people and help my social skills.

----------

but of course each to there own, of course facebook serves a purpose for many and it can be great for many esp for reuniting with long lost loved ones, yet for me I see more disadvantages to it than advantages.

#4 dude99, Mar 19, 2010
  5. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think I would give up on Facebook, no. It's a lot better than MySpace in my opinion. I'm thinking of getting rid of that. :lol:

6. Lychee

I wouldn't get rid of it, because I'd miss out on so much gossip. Also, party invites all happen on facebook... :slight_smile:

7. gaz83

gaz83 Guest

Nope, i wouldnt stop using it. Im actually addicted to that site haha. I remember the days when i said i wouldnt use it cos i hated it. Then all my friends switched to it from bebo so i did too, then cancelled my bebo.

8. RaeofLite

I don't think I'd give up on facebook. Reasons why?
    -I privatized my profile like crazy. I have several different lists. Only really good friends and family see EVERYTHING. Others just see bits and pieces. People who aren't on one of my lists don't see anything but my profile picture, sex and birthday. And I like it that way.
    -I have pictures. A LOT of pictures. And... honestly I haven't gotten the time or moneyt to print a lot of them off and start scrap booking my life in the past four or five years.
    -it's a good way to let your mind drift when you need a break from school or stressful events in life (with the applications)
    -You can keep in touch with friends on the go (some have mobile)
    -You can keep in touch with those who don't have a cell phone and use their computer as their preferred method of communication
    -You can network and there are some groups (ex: gay groups) in your area that you can meet people through :slight_smile:

9. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

I find that if you use it as what it was intended to be used (that is, as a social networking site), it's not that bad. Could I imagine a life without it? Well, I managed without it for quite some time, so I wouldn't miss it if it were to disappear. Granted, I'd probably join the site that took its niche, but that's more for practicality's sake than anything; I just like having a way to contact people about things without needing to have their phone number or e-mail address*, and I know that if someone wanted to do the same thing for me, Facebook is there for that purpose.

*I actually had to do that in the past to contact the head of my high school's student council to ask about starting a club.

10. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    facebook lets me chat with firends when work is dead. But, I have had some creepy people send me messages (people I don't know) wanting to hook up.

11. Johnnieguy

isn't that a violation of ec rules?

12. Gaetan

My entire profile is hidden so you have to be a friend to see anything beyond my profile picture. Now, would I ever give up on it? Not likely.

I use Facebook to keep in touch with so many friends who I don't live near anymore. I don't use it for the "events" things or any other drama inducers. I rarely post my own messages, usually only for major updates.

13. xCrazyInsanity

I could ditch FB, quite easily.

14. Tim

Tim

No, because we exchanged information not in public. Otherwise many mods would also be in violation of said rule.

15. Geradeth

For these (and other) reasons I have not even set up an account. Though we seem to be the minority, I'm with you on this one!

16. Spit Fire

OMG noooooooooo I would DIE
    I'm like addicted
    it's funny how when my friends got it I was like im never gonna use that, EVER
    then a few months later I got an account

17. paco

paco Guest

haha wow, i thought i was the only one. i just deleted my facebook like last week. it kinda showed me exactly how fake some people are, and i end up wasting hours of my time on it doing nothing.

i may get it back at some point, but i'm gonna try to go without it for as long as i can, and people say that a lot, but i'm pretty good at sticking to my word about this kind of thing.

18. dude99

dude99 Guest

here is the link to permantely delete it:
    https://ssl.facebook.com/help/contact.php?show_form=delete_account

besides I am busy person and find it very time consuming.

here is a link to a blog where many people have wrote in reasons why they hate facebook:
    http://www.i-marco.nl/weblog/archive/2009/04/14/five_reasons_why_i_hate_facebo

Anyway people have even killed themselves because of it. Sure there are good things about it and its a way to keep in contact with others and find lost friends and find activities in your area or groups. But I have found many people shaddow and not really friendly. In addition there has been times where I have chatted to someone for awhile and then I add him on a friend and not long after he deletes me, as he was just one stalker. Besides I have alot of personal things on my profile including pics and family pics.

In addition there are some people who I really thought were friends and added them, but they turned out to be arrogant and refused to chat or email me when I attempted to do so. Well at least I got to see there true colours.

Or people who you associated with in the past and and were friendly to them but they refused to add u as a friend even though I tried to add them as a friend. Or you have those that pretend to be your friend and appear quite friendly but are full of bs and not really your friend anyway.

#18 dude99, Mar 19, 2010
  19. Mogget

Facebook is how I find out about events, parties, and the like. I wouldn't give up that aspect. I could see using it just for that, though. Except that, contrary to what a lot of others here have experienced, I've actually had friendships develop through Facebook. A woman who's about ten years older than me and I have become quite good friends because of Facebook, even though we never see each other in real life. We've had some really great conversations about love, politics, and how to best live life.

20. Halpert

I probably could, seeing as I only talk to like, 15 of my friends on it. In the world of texting and cell phones, the only thing I really like facebook for is the pictures!