1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speech Topic Help

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Justindee13, Mar 21, 2010.

1. Justindee13

the sppech has to aswer this question:

what is the most pressing legal issue that faces our world leaders in this decade?

I was thinking human rights but i want all suggestions and please give a reason why you think that. Thank You

2. Shevanel

Human Rights for sure. In Third World countries most of all.

It's easy. Just watch any of the many documentaries that could be on it.

Also, being that this isn't specifically about LGBT stuff, I'm gonna move it to Chit Chat.

3. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yep, Human Rights is a good one but you could make it a bit more specific. For example, one important issues that ties in with human rights is the status of refugees and asylum seekers in host countries. You can look at a couple of countries for comparison if you wanted to or leave it just as an overview.

You could also look at crimes against humanity and human rights during conflicts. Here you could draw on the conflicts in Africa, such as Sudan. Crimes against humanity and related to that Genocide and war crimes have always been one of the most important issues in international politics. In 2002, the International Criminal Court was established to prosecute perpetrators of war crimes, Genocide and crimes against humanity. You could use that as an entry point if you wanted to.

4. partietraumatic

Oil.

In the next decade or so oil is either going to run out, or get to the point where its hideously expensive. This gives politicians a huge problem. Do they pay the expensive price that the arab countries will be able to charge (due to the high demand and low supply of oil), and thus tip the balance on international power towards to arab world, or do they direct money at other sources of energy, many of which their public are very sceptical about.

Personally i hope its the latter, as that would also benefit us from a global warming point of view.

It also of course raises the possibility of heightened aggression between countries arguing over and oil source.

I also believe another big legal issue will be water availability. Many countries are going to run out of water, as we are extracting water from the earth's aquafers faster than it can be replaced. This is going to raise the legal and moral issue of countries having to import water, and whether it is legally right to charge countries that have no water, for water (are we getting in the way of their human right to live) and the moral issue of whether it is right that we should treat a necessary life source like water as a commodity to be brought and sold.

#4 partietraumatic, Mar 22, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2010
  5. the ry guy

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    define world leaders, if you mean all the major leaders that might actually do something that's a rather small amount, but even then i don't think i could name any one thing as more pressing than another. also you stated "most pressing legal issue" something thats illegal here may very well be legal somewhere else, i realize i'm getting off topic but that question is pretty vague. i'll have to get back to you on this.

6. Justindee13

just world leaders or heads of all the countrys

7. Bryan90

I like to call the last few decades as the decades of the "people". Ever since US won the cold war, "democracy" has been seen as the winning form of government.

"Human rights" or should i phrase it as "the welfare of the people" has been the cornerstone of many political issues.

However I feel that soon, we will have to answer to "what is human rights? what is democracy?"

Water recently became a human right under UN. Who determines what should be a human right? The people in UN? The power houses in the global stage? Should healthcare be a human right? If it is, why are some US states so against it? Is it because of money? Should the "cost" of a human right be considered? Say if it's too expensive to implement, maybe it shouldn't be considered a human right?

Do humans really have rights? Or do we just have privileges set up by the power houses of the global stage, sold to us as "rights"? Is it a coincidence that the charter of human rights does not contain (or few if any) rights that the power houses don't already give?

I think it would be quite stimulating to give such a speech although it might derail from your topic a little.

8. Porphyrogenitus

Human rights have really been a major subject for legislatures for the past 200 years or so - it's just that the list of rights changes, as new ones get added and outdated ones slowly die. The decades since the second world war have really just started the trend of ennumerating them and listing them in enforceable treaties and suchlike (Australia, I'm extremely happy to say, does NOT have a Bill of Rights). But even then, the content of each right changes determining on the attitudes and values of the society of the time - consider that 'freedom of speech', for instance, is by no means absolute, and there are plenty of socially accepted limitations on it. So human rights is, to some extent, an ongoing concern, and while there will undoubtedly be discussion on certain issues in the next 10 years, you'd probably want to consider only certain aspects of that very broad topic. Also, what are world leaders? The 'right to privacy' is going to be a big one in 1st world countries, but isn't necessarily as important for the 3rd world.

But actually, I think there's going to be increased globalisation and a corresponding growth in the body of international low, and probably more powerful institutions to deal with it. Also, questions relating to the environment, and population growth and management are going to be fairly major.

9. Nixon

Climate Change: Third World Industrialazion Polution

Economics of Third World Countries

10. fragomatrick

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Water.... That is what is going to tear the world apart in the near future... Its the fastest depleting natural resource in the world that is not at all debated....