1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm shocked

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by x2x2x2x2y2, Mar 24, 2010.

1. x2x2x2x2y2

I'm on wikipedia and there's a list of organizations fighting for LGBT rights. Just in USA, there is about 100. I'm shocked that there is so many, yet we still don't have equal rights. It makes me sad to see how hard we have to fight, just to show that we are equal. How much longer till we are considered equal?? How many more organizations?? How many more votes?? It makes me sad, yet it also fuels my drive to fight.

2. paint

(*hug*)

3. Mogget

A number of those groups have come under criticism from the LGBT community as having morphed into organizations that exist primarily to perpetuate their own existence. The Human Rights Campaign in particular has been accused of having a vested interest in not getting LGBT rights guaranteed under law. You can see some of those complaints here, especially in the comments section.

There's also a case to be made that the Democratic Party is using gay rights much as the Republican Party uses abortion. As long as gay rights are almost there, and they seem to be fighting for gay rights, LGBT people and allies will keep voting and donating (politically, a lot of us are conservatives who would probably prefer to vote Republican if the Republican Party didn't hate us. I'm not one of them, by the way, firmly on the liberal side).

Less cynically, there's also a lot of groups fighting against our rights. And lots of people who don't really care. And it's really hard to pass legislation that is in any way controversial. The Constitution is designed to make major changes very difficult.

4. Just Adam

politicians are idiots though they dont realise if they dont follow through and actually get things done they will be kicked out and there will be riots. hell the uk wouldn't stand for the bullshit promises of obama, keep saying yea yea im working on it i will get rid of dadt just give me some time...over and over keep saying that hell hed be out on his ass here i think the usa needs to get tougher on its politicians remind them they work for them, they treat a president as a leader a master where he is a servant of the people and needs to remember that.

5. gaz83

gaz83 Guest

yeah, cos the uk politicians are great eh. :eusa_naug

6. Just Adam

no they are all corrupt ass holes who you cant trust a word out of but when they screw us they get the sack cos we play hell ...apart from Gordon hes super glued his ass to that seat.

----------

like now we've had all the expenses scandals and abuse of power labour just arent going to get voted back in, darling is for the chopping block either way and his budget has already been ripped apart with stealth taxes..im just hoping its a hung parliament as i want lib dems in there as they are the only ones i really trust as you know they're into crazy shit but at least they want our equal rights unlike the other two that think we should be thankful for what we've been given >.>

7. x2x2x2x2y2

I was also reading about HRC. So is HRC really fighting for our rights or...??

How close are we to getting equal rights(in America)?? Obviously, theres no straightforward answer but how long can you estimate it will take??

8. Just Adam

haha wrong question really, equal rights oh a few years at this rate actual equality could be a few decades yet, its easier to change laws than hearts and minds.

9. mydogstewie

It took 200 years for African Americans to be considered equal, and many more years for women to have equal rights. We may get longer because our difference is something you can not see

10. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    well, just look through the history book. Change takes a looooooooong time.

11. Connor22

glad to hear you have UK politics sussed then still I'm hoping for a hung parliament, just so that I can say I got to see one in my life time.

12. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's cus we're not united !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. Just Adam

is it wrong i want one just cos we may get same sex marriage?

14. gaz83

gaz83 Guest

aint that already legal here? im sure it is. anyways, i aint into politics much cos ur rite they are all liers and overpaid fat men but im voting for snp come election day. only party that has my country at heart really.

15. Just Adam

we have civil partnerships >.> which sounds horrid liek your opening a buisness with someone not being with the one you love, and there are laws that go with marriage and tax breaks for married couples etc