1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay bling

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Sylver, Mar 25, 2010.

1. Sylver

So now that I'm comfortable with being gay and with being out to many of the people in my life that matter, I'd like to wear something on my person that subtly shows that I'm gay and proud of it.

Many of you will know from my previous posts that one of the "gifts of being gay" I never received is the ability to dress myself... in fact I suck at it. I don't know exactly what I'm looking for - so I'm coming to probably the best experts in the world for advice! :slight_smile:

First a little about me, I don't dress overly flashy or anything. You're likely to see me in cargo pants or cargo shorts 90% of the time, with a solid color plain T-shirt or long-sleeved shirt. I'm just not one for loud clothes. So whatever I wear to be gay needs to be relatively restrained - I'm doing this for myself to remind myself that I'm gay and proud of it, not to broadcast it to the world (although I don't mind if they see - or if it attracts interested parties my way... :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:).

I've thought about a rainbow bracelet but even something as small as that would stand out on me like a sore thumb. Loud rainbow t-shirts are pretty much out - I've never dressed that way and I can't see it working in my daily environment (not because it says I'm gay but because loud T's of any kind don't fit what I do). I was thinking maybe of a chain or a rune or something like that, but then no one would ever see that!

Any suggestions?

2. Connor22

how about a rainbow bondana? maybe not, a little hi-vis so what about a rainbow wrist band?

3. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

If you are really only doing this for yourself, then a charm on a bracelet or a subtle rainbow ring would be a good idea, but from the sound of it, it seems you want people to notice whatever you wear (if not consciously, then at least sub-consciously). From the way you worded your post, my guess would be that any noticeable gay apparel that you wear will "stick out like a sore thumb," but if you want people to notice whatever "gay bling" you wear, it will need to stick out. As such, it sounds like you need to ask yourself: am I really doing this just for myself, or do I want people to notice what I wear? If you want to wear something that people will notice, it will need to stick out, and if you want to wear something subtle, people probably won't notice it; unfortunately, them's the facts.

There are other alternatives to loud rainbow t-shirts. I currently have a shirt that says, "When do I get to vote on your marriage?" The color scheme may be garish by your standards, but I bring it up to show that there are shirts out there that you can wear that aren't overly flamboyant that still get the message across that you are gay. The key is wit; witticisms are a good way to get the message across in a light-hearted manor, and they don't need to be showy to accomplish that. You can even design one through CafePress or Zazzle so you can make it exactly as you want it.

Edit: If you frequently use a backpack or side bag, perhaps a rainbow pin on the strap(s) would be more like what you are looking for.

#3 Owen, Mar 25, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2010
  4. DutchKip

The liberal wet dream op Europe... Or Holland...
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well... You want to have something that shows that you are gay... So either something stereotypical or some thing that actually says you are gay... (cause I guess otherwise people wouldn't get it...)

But you don´t want to wear something that is;
    a. Flashy
    b. Colourful
    c. something that says "I'M GAY!!!" in front size 40...

God,, that's damn hard :rolleyes: Especially because I don't think a chain or a ruin is that gay...

Linkie:
    What about fun underwear?? Only visible when people can see your buttcrack...

Same goes for socks... Though showing your buttcrack isn't necessary

And looking at that site for other things,, not persé gay... But gay enough for your purpose I think...

Or something that is simple like this... It's quite cute en not flashy at all...

5. Sylver

Maybe I'm not saying it right... It's got to go with the kind of outfits I wear - it has to work with them and not look tacky. I also want something I can wear to business meetings or to trade shows or whatever and it won't look out of place. Just something symbolic that I can be proud of!

6. Shevanel

I know exactly what you mean and I wish I could help xD

But I wouldn't wear any rainbow stuff like that so I can't really give you ideas xD Sorry v_v

But I do know what you actually mean.

7. gaz83

gaz83 Guest

i think a chain is a good idea. if you really want people to see it then wear more v necked tshirts or open a few buttons on the shirt. i wouldnt say its something thats gonna stick out but people would see it up close. also a small ring aint bad. i rarely wear jewlerry myself but when i wear my ring and stuff on a nite out people compliment me.

8. SlickyPants

I'd hate to say it but I don't think there's any kind of subtle way to wear gay-themed clothing or jewellery. Maybe a small pink triangle lapel pin would work. I don't think it would clash too much with the neutral wardrobe and best of all I would imagine it would stand out and shout "I'M GAY!" to another gay person while most straight people probably wouldn't associate it with anything.

9. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd go with a rainbow ring. Unfortunately of all the members of the gay tribe, gay jewellery and accessories just did not get the part of the updated gay agenda about how gays are about assimilation now, so they are still all about flaunting it. :lol:

Like this: http://www.overtherainbowshop.com/triangle_enamel_ring.htm

Actually they've got some really nice stuff overall: http://www.overtherainbowshop.com/rings.htm

I like the male symbol stuff but I dunno--that seems a little sexual and I'd feel a little odd wearing it now that I'm in my 30s. Of course, on a ring it's not screamingly obvious, so eh, maybe that'd work.

I mean, you don't have that much to go with: something rainbow (tends to stick out), something with a male symbol ("sticks out" by design, like the part of our anatomy it's representing *giggle*), or the pink triangle... which is pink, which (to me) totally sticks out on guys. Unless you go with the often hilarious t-shirts, like one of my best ones that says, "I don't mind straight people as long as they act gay in public" or "Every time you see a rainbow, God is having gay sex." Of course, that's clothing proper, not an accessory.

Personally I find it easier to go, "Hi my name is Joey and actually my whole life is about being gay!" Well ok, I do see movies every now and then and watch TV. And I love bubble tea. But otherwise that statement's accurate. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

10. Love etc

Rainbow landyard?
    Rainbow keychain for your car/house keys?
    Rainbow bracet?
    Bumper sticker?
    Get an Equality shirt? Blue with yellow equal sign
    Get a tattoo or shirt or logos with the male symbol. o->

Go to gay clubs. Look up gay organizations in your city. Browse any gay stores. Simply being there will help your chances.

11. Why not, at least for when you're dressed casually, a woven bracelet? It's not shiny or flashy so it shouldn't stick out too much. I never take mine off :slight_smile:

Aaaand now that I look, all the ones on google images are really flashy. I think mine's faded a bit since I got it. But you could always make one if you can't find one that's as subtle as you'd like.

12. dukeguy06

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
  13. Sylver

14. gaz83

gaz83 Guest

15. Jamie

Drammen, Norway (from England originally).
    [​IMG]

Something like this maybe - can wear it on top of your t-shirt or shirt if you want too!!! Subtle, but gets the point across. Haha, just realised that somebody else posted this too - well I guess this is the one to get then!!!

16. RaeofLite

17. evantw13

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    While I think you should go with the pendant already suggested, if you're still undecided, what if you use the lowercase lambda engraved on a pendant or a bracelet like this one:

[​IMG]

The lambda has been used in the LBGT community since 1970(source:http://www.lambda.org/symbols.htm). It would be subtle and classy. And although you may not want this, it might be a great conversation starter as well.
    As I'm writing this, I'm thinking of getting one myself.