1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

this makes me mad

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Sam, Aug 29, 2007.

1. Sam

Sam

my friend accepts me but not 100% she loves me and would do anything for me but doesn't like the fact that I'm gay. (trust me this belongs in the chit chat just keep reading)

she calls me today and says you know what faggots like you are doing and I said what?
    spraypainting "gay pride" on churches and you wonder why people hate gays (her words not mine)

uggggghhh ok I really don't like when people base how they feel about a certain group or race of people on a select few out of that group who do bad things. It gives all the rest of the other 98% of that group a bad image and makes people want to hate them more.

we are trying to get equal rights and this is a critical time right now and then a few people go and fuck up what little progress we have made while all the rest of us have to suffer for it.:bang: I'm sorry maybe I'm wrong but this is just my opinion.

2. CrimsonThunder

3. Jeimuzu

If she'd do anything for you, she'd accept it, because you're more important.

Some people will always be idiots, and those spraypainters could be doing something much more harmful. Hell, those churches could be the churches of Westboro Baptist. Just because it's a church doesn't afford it any more respect than anywhere else.

4. Kibuki kid

Your damn right that:***: pisses me of, and about your friend all i have to say is this "That:tantrum: :***: she calls herself your friend and this is how she talks to you!!!"

5. jroakwood

honestly, are you serious?

6. waitingsucks

yea i agree 2, i know it's a fact of life but we shouldn't be treated as a group negatively especially when the reasons for a small amount of peoples doing. This doesn't happen to majority only the minorities, i guess maybe in time we can get people to realise that and accept us without non-stop judgement.

7. ethene

Westboro Baptist churches shouldn't be spraypainted. They should be burnt and levelled.

That's true.

8. Jeimuzu

If God loves you, why the hell would he give a damn where you pray for him? To be honest, anyone with any sense who honestly believes in God should be able to see what God wants from them; he wants them to help the needy, not kneel and chant about his wonder and mercy. What good will that do?

Totally correct, but it's better than nothing. :slight_smile:

9. Jim1454

I have to take exception to this comment too...

You can't possibly mean that there's no difference between painting a rainbow on an overpass bridge or empty warehouse somewhere and painting a rainbow on the side of a church?

Churches are a place of worship for people, and they regard them as holy and sacred places. To deface them IS a real slap in the face, and a show of extreme disrespect. Commenst like yours suggest you've got as little respect and tolerance for people as certain right wing religious groups have for the gay and lesbian community.

Regardless of the message or the building, this is vandalism. Would you like ANYTHING spray painted on your own garage door? car? school? How would you feel?

10. Jeimuzu

An overpass bridge, empty warehouse, fine. I'm basically saying that I honestly believe that churches aren't worth nearly as much as buildings with practical use.

Well, you're wrong. I've got all the tolerance in the world. However, my opinion is that a church has no useful effect, usually cost lots of money, are ludicrously gaudy, and are used 1 day a week - and don't even do Gods work. People don't seem to realise that all God seems to ask is that you look after everyone else in the world, so as many people as possible can have a good life. A church building has no effect on that.

If he wants you bowing and chanting rather than helping your fellow beings, how is he truly such a benevolent and all-loving God?

I've got plenty of respect for people's religious beliefs, but I think the ceremonies involved are ridiculous.

Nope. When I say 'Doesn't afford it any more respect than anywhere else', what part of that don't you understand? It's on the same level. I'm sure they don't like it being there, and it's a childish action to spray it.

But very simply, I think that a church has little practical value. Use the things to shelter the poor, rather than bowing and scraping before a supposedly benevolent being who asks only really one thing from you, and that is to love everyone equally.

If that church is used as a shelter for the poor, then fine. But all the gaudy stuff, like stained windows - expensive - and all the expensive metalwork... Remember Jesus telling a man to sell his material possessions and give them to the poor?

That's another reason I dislike churches. They're completely against Jesus' own words. They are basically houses of hypocrisy.

I like them only on one level, and that's an aesthetic one - I'm a photography nut, and I'll accept they often look incredible. However, that's part of the problem.

11. Jim1454

Well, I'll leave this alone. If you can't see the hypocrisy in your own statement, then I'm not sure what else to say. People's religious beliefs INCLUDE worshiping their god as a congregation, so by calling that rediculous, you don't show ANY respect for their beliefs.

You've interpreted God's word in a way that makes sense to you, and then ridiculed those that don't conform to your opinion. Not altogether too different from what Westboro Baptist Church has done.

Finally, most churches make their buildings available for other uses during the week. Ours houses a Montessori School during the day, and hosts AA, Al-anon, Girl Guides, and other groups in the evenings. That's in addition to the different church committees that convene in the evening. There are many inner-city churches that have soup kitchens. The Presbyterian Church (the denomination I belong to) has built an affordable housing complex with 84 units in downtown Toronto to help address homelessness. Typically ministers don't isolate themselves during the week. They're offering counselling and support services to their congregation and other members of the community.

I really have no idea what church you've been exposed to, but you've developed a pretty narrow idea of what they're about.

We're all about fostering increased understanding of and tolerance for the particular group that we belong to - the gay and lesbian community.

I would think we all should do the same for other community groups, like organized religion. I expect that there are a number of people here that belong to both groups.

12. CrimsonThunder

Churches do mean something actually, they have a sacred bone in the altar, they have the holy bible and they have the body and blood of christ in there.

13. JSG

JSG Guest

Spray-painting a church is unnacceptable. I'm anti-religion, but it's a matter of respect, you DON'T paint on a place of worship, gay or not. It's ridiculous.

Biloved, when you say "what little progress we've made"... I disagree, there were times when molten lead would be poured inside of you for being gay... Other than that I totally agree with your post.

14. jroakwood

thank you Jim, i totally agree with everything youve said.
    and youve said it better than I ever could have.
    :slight_smile:

15. Sam

Sam

I'm sorry about the little progress thing I realize we have made a lot of progress it just makes me mad that we still can't get married or adopt kids in a lot of places. I'm glad that we aren't killed for who we are so I guess we have made a lot of progress but it really makes me mad when people do things to make people hate us more.

16. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Vandalism is wrong whether it is a church or an overpass, if you ask me. Biloved, you may need to give your friend some serious education and tell her that because somebody was disrespectul, does not mean all people associated with GLBT community are respectful. Give her an example of how she might feel if she were lumped in with some bad seeds because she is left handed or a certain color of skin. It's ridiculus.

17. Sam

Sam

oh yeah and she said that she was just playfully saying those words and she understands that not all gay people are like that just like with any other group and I know she jokes a lot but her joking can hurt sometimes.

18. Jerr

AMEN!!!

Things like that make me hate gays... which is weird but yeah.

I'm actually slightly racist on the inside towards some races because I pretty much only see the worst of them. Not like gangs... (I avoid those because I'm allergic to bullet wounds...) but like those who take advantage of the system... and vandalize places. It irks me...

Whatev.

19. Tom

Tom Guest

so im not the only 1 allergic 2 bullet wounds i see, and yeh vandalism no matter where it is shows u have no respect for tht place, the ppl tht use it or anything tht could b associated with tht place. if you want respect yourself then you have 2 show respect to others, places tht mean somet to them and just the general environment, its hard at times cus thts how i try 2 live and sum ppl dnt really like it and take the piss but its wrth it for sure.

and tell ur friend not to say things like faggot thts the only word tht, 4 me, is insulting all the rest i can live with unless sum1 wants 2 insult me with em then i have a go back but thts just me.

and u r right its the minority tht always brings down the majority, its always been tht way and i fear it always will be

20. Jerr

Be vandalizing you are searching for respect and trying to gain acceptance but that would only be through fear and fear doesn't bring respect... it just makes FEAR.... stupid.

Don't be stupy and take the high road yo!