1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Earth Hour 2010!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by RaeofLite, Mar 27, 2010.

1. RaeofLite

If it's not yet 8:30pm in your time zone, you still have a chance to prepare to dim or turn off your lights for an hour. :slight_smile: Show your support for climate change. And yes, your input does matter. Just like in elections, your vote counts when compiled with all others who partake. Your input helps. :grin:

2. Emberstone

I am planning to turn off my computer, and only have one light on, so I can read.

3. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I thot earth hour was not long ago.....

4. gaz83

gaz83 Guest

i signed up to earth hour all ready to do it, and i forgot about it in the end after harping on about it to family and friends. i save power all the time so i think i made up for it.

5. Chandra

Our local coffee hang-out spot is having acoustic music (my friend is singing!) and turning out their lights. They're going to put out candles and whatnot. It should be fun!

6. Adam

I will be turning off my computer and TV for most of it!

7. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was at a theatre restaurant with serious lighting and sound and special effects. I don't think it helped the cause xD However, the lights at home were off because nobody was there.

8. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My problems with Earth Hour are as follows:

1. People who turn off their lights and in their place use candles. Candles emit GHG when they burn and the fuel didn't magically appear, instead coming from petroleum products.
    2. People who turn off their 15W CFL light but leave on their 100W+ television or computer.
    3. All these outdoor monuments / landmarks that turn off unnecessary decorative exterior lighting. . . and then promptly turn it on one hour later. Clearly the message was lost on them if they turned their waste of power back on to continue to pollute the night sky.

If you are serious about conservation you'd do it all year round, not just for 0.01% of the year.

9. djt820

*turns on all lights*

10. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Don't be rude. I'm not celebrating it either but you don't need to be rude about it...

11. djt820

I have the right to be objective and "rude" if I chose to. The whole idea is stupid as some people have stated. It doesn't help the environment at all.

12. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, you're right you can be rude if you want. There's a difference between disagreeing with it, and being rude, though.

13. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

*facepalm*

#13 TheEdend, Mar 27, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2010
  14. djt820

15. fragomatrick

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I switched off all the lights, my laptop, my mobile phone ..then i realised i had nothing to do so i went for a long drive!

16. Mysterons

Mysterons Guest

Agreed with Kenko and djt. If governments wanted to preserve the environment they should take measures to reduce polluting activities such as open-pit mining, toxic waste dumping, etc. -which is sadly unlikely to happen given the huge profit some companies make from that stuff. Turning off the lights for an hour one single day of the year is utterly irrelevant and its sole purpose is to make people feel better with themselves because ''they've done something for teh world''.

#16 Mysterons, Mar 28, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2010
  17. djt820

[​IMG]

18. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The one good thing this does do, is create more environmental awareness. Even if it doesn't help the environment directly, indirectly it will. It's going to remind people to conserve electricity and recycle, which is forgotten often, and create awareness.

19. djt820

If people REALLY cared about the environment, we wouldn't be using gas in our cars anymore. But thats not going to happen because profits would be lost. We would be using geothermal, wind, and solar power ALL THE TIME if people REALLY cared about the environment. This "Earth Hour" is an insult to our intelligence to be completely honest.

20. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    People don't care, yet. That's the idea of earth hour. >_>... Getting people to become aware of the environment. Duh, lots of people don't care now, that's why we have earth hour. To get people to care. Ya, most people are spoiled and can't live without cars and such, but even if everyone does something small to help the environment, like turning off lights and such, it's better than nothing. And that's the kind of thing I think earth hour raises awareness for. You can't change everyone overnight and make them go completely green. But it's a gradual process and becoming aware that we have a problem with trash and carbon emissions etc is the first step. Awareness that there is a problem is the first step to solving it.