1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

same-sex couples a prom

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Prccgeek, Mar 28, 2010.

1. Prccgeek

I was wondering if same-sex couples go to prom in your high schools or the high schools you went to when you were younger. My school is decently accepting... at least in the music drama wing :slight_smile: .... but we do have a GSA and do the day of silence and gay pride month, but I have never seen or heard of a same-sex couple going to prom together. I have know gay couples at the school, but they always take someone of the opposite sex to the dances. And I am talking about very confident out couples who have been with each other for years. it just doesn't happen and it sort of makes me sad. For a school that is pretty accepting... is this normal?:confused:

2. Well... I can't say about prom, because I'm a freshman and not allowed to go yet. But I did go to homecoming. I know of... I think... five? Question mark? Anyways, somewhere around five gay people in the school. 1) A senior boy. I don't know about homecoming or prom, but I know he brought a girl to the winter dance. 2) A senior girl who I've never spoken to. I don't know who she brought to dances, or if she goes. 3) A junior girl who planned on bringing her girlfriend to homecoming but didn't actually go. 4) A freshman boy who brought a girl to homecoming and went single to the winter dance. 5) Me, I brought a boy from another school to homecoming and also went alone to the winter dance.

Prom might be different, but I don't know. /rambling

3. Prccgeek

prom or any other dance...I was just thinking prom b/c that is coming up for me.

4. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think any same-sex couples went to my high school prom, but I don't think there was a strong emphasis on pairing up either for it.

I wouldn't know though, to be honest. I never actually went to my prom because I refused to wear the formal clothing. I really dislike wearing suits or tuxedos, so I didn't attend mine because of it. I only have fun when I dress how I want to and not how others demand me too. :slight_smile:

5. Brandford

I think my school would allow it and I'm sure plenty of them do go and honestly if I thought I could find a date or someone at the dance, I would go with someone of the same sex undoubtedly. Of course, I won't find a date so I've decided to just not go. Plus I'm horrible in social situations. Anyway, I say if you can find a same sex date, go with her. I think everyone who can find a same sex date should go to dances, proms and homecoming with them. How can we expect acceptance if we don't show them that it wouldn't be a big deal and that were not afraid to be together around them?

6. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

My school is pretty accepting and I know that last year there was a gay couple that went to the prom. We have a lot of gay guys that are out at my school but me and my boyfriend are the only couple right now so it feels like everyone is watching us haha. We are planning on attending together and seeing what people tells us.

Im freaking out though. Never been to a dance with a guy before and I have no idea what to do. Also, my boyfriend is pretty jelous so no idea if im going to be dancing with some girls or not. Oh well, time will tell haha

7. RCooper

I really want to be the first person in my school to bring a date of the same sex. I only have 1 month to get a date. Ahhh!!

8. elitechris

my school does allow same sex couple to go but i've never seen one...
    and there is a GSA and day of silence but i've only seen 1 lesbian couple

this year is my junior prom so if i go i hope i might not be the only gay guy there :S

9. Bladieu

Surprisingly, my school is very accepting about gay couples going to prom, which makes me very happy. A few years back, I think in '06, we actually had a gay couple as prom king and queen. Yes, the student body actually voted two males as prom kings :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:. It was really awesome, and I'm super lucky to be able to go to such an accepting school :slight_smile:. This is Virginia for anyone who cares.

10. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My school formal didn't have a couples arrangement at all. If two people were dating, they just danced together and maybe got a photo taken together. However, I volunteer for a group that's running a formal specifically for queer youth next weekend :grin:

11. jazzrawr

I've never seen it done at my school, to be honest. I don't think there would be much of a problem with it, but I've just never seen it done in high school.
    I would bring a girl, but I have no girl to bring. So tht's a no-go. I don't know if I'm even going - if I do, I'm going in a tux. XD

12. Alex19

the gay couples at my old high school went to prom/ball together. nobody cared. my school was cool like that

13. Woot

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Gay couples... at my school?! LOL!!! But seriously, no gay couples allowed (they make it clear that it's for male and female couples ONLY). :frowning2:

14. Lychee

My school is an all-girls school, and whilst we don't have any openly gay people, we are allowed to take people of either gender to the formal. Quite a few people do take girls from outside of school, and it is just assumed that they're going as friends, however, if someone was to bring their girlfriend, the school would be fine with it.

15. excuseyou77

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I know a couple girls went together to the prom at my school. The teacher that worked on the prom was EXTREMELY open minded so admitting them wasn't ever a problem. If I were more out back then and actually had a date, I would have totally gone with a guy.

It is actually a pretty funny story... she tried to set me up with a girl... basically she wrote me a note asking if I knew a girl, and I wrote back to her saying pretty much in a nutshell "thanks, but no thanks, I'm gay." :slight_smile:

16. carrie90

Originally Montana but currently San Fransisco
    No same sex couples went to ours cause we weren't really allowed (It wasn't official that same sex couples couldn't go but strongly implied) so a large groups of us gays went in a big group with each other as fake dates

17. Totoro

Well my school is a catholic school, so they don't endorse gay couple and that kinda stuff, but they try to promote a non-labeling type thing (no racism, homophobic remarks etc) but even so, they aren't allowing it at our prom :frowning2:

18. RaeofLite

Wow, that was four years ago for me.. I feel old. :lol:

No one that was openly gay attended my highschool prom. At least it wasn't public knowledge. Although a few females went with each other, though not "with each other" as dates, just friends. One girl even wore a snazzy white tux with green collar, belt and boytie etc but I think she just wanted to be different-which is cool.

My highschool was in a small town but my senior prom was in a bigger city.

19. Étoile

I'm not sure if gay couples are allowed at my school. I heard that this girl last year wasn't allowed to enter with her girlfriend.

I think teachers would let me through with my date. I'm a good kid, teachers never had any problems with me, I don't cause any trouble. The most I'd get would be weird looks and whispers from others. I'm not going to prom, so I'll never find out.

20. MusicIsLife

My high school is/was known for it being pretty much the ghetto of the LBP school board. 2 drug busts in the 5 years I was there, and one the year before I started (in QC high school is 5 years and not 4). That being said, it was a pretty shitty school. However, it was very liberal when it came to gender/homosexuality/racism/etc. I went to prom with another girl, me in a tux and her in a dress. Though it really looked like we were there "together" we were just friends, and we got no rude comments or anything, at least to our face.