1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Going "Green"?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by RaeofLite, Mar 31, 2010.

1. RaeofLite

So I was watching TV the other day which I don't usually do a lot of and I saw this commercial:
    [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHD2NPsSovo[/YOUTUBE]

My immediate thought was, what a stupid commercial. Why? To me, it just says that littering is ok, and since it'll apparently "disintegrate" or break down into the earth again anyway, you might as well throw it away instead of in the garbage can where I believe litter belongs.

Yes we are trying to go green. THere are "green cars", green electricity (solar, wind, less carbon emissions in some cars etc,) amongst other things. But this?? What happens when someone starts littering even more because they think all chip bags break down like that (if the bag even does "break down" that way as it claims to..)

What are your thoughts?

2. Lychee

I don't think it's meant to show that you can drop it anywhere, I think it's more that if it gets taken to the tip it will break down quickly as opposed to other plastics?

3. ANightDude

I don't think its saying that you should litter, its a marketing strategy, actually, and a smart one. It isn't green, it just goes away faster, which is even worse, because that means more of these "green" products will be out there. Its nothing new, really.

4. Meropspusillus

I'm not sure why more green products is a bad thing... the enviroment would probably be a lot happier if we had no plastic chip bags.

5. RaeofLite

I understand that. However, since not all products are green yet, it might promote litter. And since it's only Sunchips that seems to be doing it thus far, the other chip bags haven't-which may lead to some people throwing all their chip bags on the ground thinking they decompose.

And if you think about it, even if all chip bags were able to decompose would people even care to continue throwing them in the garbage or would they think 'what the hell..' and toss them on the ground because they decompose? My worries are that it might be an excuse to litter even further. *shrug*

Hmm... maybe I am overthinking on this one. But that's what I first thought.