1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Circle of Magic

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by davo-man, Aug 31, 2007.

1. davo-man

I was just wondering if anyone had read this series of books?...well actually its two quartets and a concluding novel all with the same main characters, Tris, Daja, Briar and Sandry. Basically its about these four young mages that are really really REALLY powerful and they get into various adventures and the books are really good

The reason i brought it up is because its aimed at, I reckon, 8-15 year olds and it is revealed in the last book that three of the characters (Daja, Lark and Rosethorn(who are the four mages' teachers)) are lesbians. But it doesnt do it in a controversial, "let's shock the kids by thrusting homosexuality in there faces" kind of way, but more a matter of factly "there are some women who love women" kind of way

""Daja, why didn't you say you're a nisamohi?" he asked, using the Tradertalk word for a woman who loved other women. "What with Lark and Rosethorn, did you think we cared?""

I just thought this was really good, cos it is introducing the ideo fo homosexuality to young people, without bias, without prejudice etc.

Has anyone else read it? I also found it funny, because although Lark and Rosethorn have been living together for the duration of the 9 books, i hadnt even thought of them as lesbians, but just as great friends, which i think is also a good point, because it shows to young ppl that lesbians (and gay ppl in general) arent perverts, but just normal ppl who are attracted to the same gender as they are.