1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are gays more prone to being single and without sex?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Étoile, Apr 9, 2010.

1. Étoile

At my high school, straight people are in and out of relationships. But I've yet to have one. Now, I know it's probably based on a number of other reasons, but I wonder if it's mainly because I'm gay. There're a lot less gay guys at my school than straight guys.

Are we more often the ones without a boyfriend/girlfriend and without sex? Wouldn't we have less opportunities than straight people because they're less of us? I keep telling myself they're other fish in the sea but my sea is a puddle compared to the ocean of my straight friends. I should lower my expectations in finding a boyfriend, especially with where I live and peoples' attitudes on what's attractive.

2. RaeofLite

Well I think you have a point. At least for most areas. I know I live in a small region. Well, ok... it might seem large to some, but the city I'm currently in consists mostly of older gays and lesbians (30+) so my dating pool is really limited, unless I drive an hour or two to a city where there are possibly people my age... Possibly.. I'm fortunate though, and I currently have an amazing girlfriend.

However, I remember when I was single, it was so hard to meet someone. SO hard. I mostly flirted it up on dating sites since the gay organizations and events in my region consist of mostly older lesbian and bisexual women, so everyone my age was likely on the internet or lived 100s of km away.

Yes, we have a smaller dating pool. Yes, there are chances that your ex, will be an ex of your future girlfriend's. "It's a small world after all..." comes to mind sometimes.

However, once you get older, if you want to have a larger dating pool, and to swim to the ocean of potential dates, I'd pack your bags and move to a larger city. From what I've seen, that's how most LGBT people find more potential matches. It's unfortunate, but it's what we've got to do I guess.

3. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Men are naturally more sexual than women. So I'm sure it's less hard, or equally as hard for a gay guy to find another willing gay guy than a straight man to find a willing women. Especially with the internet.

That being said, there's less gay guys so obviously less options, and probably more single gay men. Especially in high school. Don't worry about it too much, you don't even need a relation at this point in your life, you only think you do.

4. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's probably because you're only 17.

5. ColdSnap

I'd be inclined to agree with this but I do see your point

6. Zach1992

There are only 3 gays in my school. Me & 2 others. Only one of them I find enticing, but he seems to show no interest. I think in High School the single & without sex for gays is more common because there aren't many of us. That pool gets even smaller when your own interests come into play. Once we're out in the world & college..... well there is a reason gays are often stereotyped as promiscuous. :lol:

7. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Because they're not sluts in highschool like the straights?

8. Brandford

I agree, I've never even been on a date. The only times I've had the opportunity for a date was with girls. But hopefully when I go to Connecticut for college I will find more options.

9. Étoile

I know I'm only 17, but there're kids that've lost their virginity long time ago and on their 4th girlfriend/boyfriend.

I'm not condoning sluts and changing boyfriends more than you change your underwear. I don't want to be a whore or have several boyfriends. It's only interesting that they've done so much stuff sexually and romantically while I've yet to receive a hug.

I hope when I go to college, more opportunities open up.

10. Zach1992

I'm in the same boat. :dry:

11. hairdye

where do you live. i'm gonna come hug you.(*hug*)

12. Étoile

Aw, I don't want to come off as a whiny, attention whore. LOL

A medium-sized city in Georgia. I'd gladly receive that hug (*hug*) but I'm a long, long way from Orange County, CA. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

For straight people, it's easier. If a guy's interested, all he needs to do is ask the girl out.

If we're interested, we have to first see if he's gay or bi, wrack up the nerve to test the waters, and if he is gay, hope he likes you.

13. Bryan90

I am not too sure about this, but this can be a factor as well:

Look at it statistically, how many straight guys are single and without sex? Probably a lot, right? Just that you don't notice them. The percentage of straight guys who are single and without sex would probably not be too different from the percentage of gay guys who are single and without sex.

Our brain just tricks us into thinking that way because the population size of straight guys and gay guys are quite different.

14. British Lad

British Lad Guest

I go to college and i only know 1 gay guy there and my best mate is Bi but he is dont attactive at all. I dont think i even have a dating pool but I do know a gay couple and if they split for some reason I try and get some ass MHAHAHAHAHAHA (but relealy i wish them all the best) it is lonely were I live even though I am in a big city. looks like it is the waiting game for me.

15. gamnrd

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    yeah being gay can make finding a date a whole lot more complicated, because more often then not if you have a crush on a guy their probably straight :frowning2: it would be so much easier if the whole world were bi then you'd at least have a chance with any guy or girl, instead of oh their straight it will never happen

16. Ty

Ty

Nothing wrong with being a slut.

17. Étoile

Except STDs, hurt feelings, and confusion.