1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My first foray into the gay-o-sphere

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Chandra, Apr 9, 2010.

1. Chandra

I'm never sure where to put new threads. I'm not really asking for support or advice, although if you want to offer some that's cool. :icon_bigg

Anyway, I'm all nervous! I've signed up to volunteer at a dance being held by a local LGBT organization. This is the first event of this kind I've ever been to, and I won't know anybody there. (That's why I decided to volunteer - I figured it'd be better than showing up alone and standing in a corner. At least I'll have something to do...) I'm not going with the expectation of meeting anybody, or whatever - from what I've heard, the events around here are mostly attended by older people. But I figure, who knows. It's better than sitting around at home wondering how I'm supposed to meet other queer peeps. Haha

I'm also a tiny bit nervous that I'll see this girl there I used to work with - she's openly in a relationship with another woman, and at the time I worked with her I was just starting to tentatively question myself, and I used to blush around her like crazy. (I wasn't attracted to her, but I think somewhere in my subconscious I was afraid I'd ping her gaydar or something.) Anyway, if she sees me there I dunno how she'll react, but it could either be really embarrassing or really funny.

Ah, the life of a shy person. What fun. Thanks for reading. :slight_smile:

2. Geradeth

You have just pretty accurately described my life right now... I don't know what part of the Okanagan you're from, but his whole general area of BC seems pretty dead to me from what I've been able to tell...

Anyways, if it's not too much trouble, please keep this thread updated after you've gone the the event, I'd very much like to hear how it goes and perhaps pick up some pointers for myself!

3. Chandra

Yeah, there doesn't seem to be much outside of Vancouver. I found this organization by Googling "LGBT Okanagan". You could maybe try the same for Kamloops?

I'll definitely let you know how it goes.

----------

Edit: Here, I Googled it for ya: http://www.gaykamloops.ca/

#3 Chandra, Apr 10, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2010
  4. Chandra

So this is tonight, and I'm leaving in an hour or so. Trying not to be nervous!

5. RaeofLite

Good luck. Have fun. The Okanagan gay scene seems pretty friendly from what I've seen so far. :slight_smile:

6. Chandra

I ended up having a pretty good time! There were people of all different ages, and the music wasn't as terrible as I thought it might be. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I ended up chatting most of the night with this cute couple from a nearby town who also didn't really know anybody there. They were quite a bit younger than me, but I always seem to end up hanging out with younger people. I was all, "I decided to volunteer instead of standing in the corner by myself," and they were all, "Yeah, us too!" :icon_bigg

7. Geradeth

So, how did it go? Did you have fun?

8. Chandra

Haha, we must have posted at the same time. See above ^ ^

9. Geradeth

Missed it by that much! (posting before you)

I'm glad you had a good time!!

10. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Glad you had a great time Chandra! :slight_smile: