1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I the only person annoyed when people don't text properly?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ANightDude, Apr 11, 2010.

1. ANightDude

I was texting a friend today, and I noticed they spell what like "Wat". I am NOT talking about a lightbulb. Gahd.

"2Day"
    Another example. Is it that hard to put "Today"?

Oh, and don't get me started on the periods, commas, and whatever else they need. Am I reading one sentance? If so, you suck at writing. Oh, its supposed to be seperate sentances? Then put an effing PERIOD. . . <--- Not that hard!

Is anyone else annoyed at people who do that? Not to obviously attack anyone on here, it just bugs me when I want to have a conversation with someone, but they can't spell or write like a normal human. :dry:

2. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    On my phone, it would be harder to put "2day" than today lol.

I do use some chatspeak. I sometimes use "u" and "ur" and of course "lol" "lmao" etc ;p.

I can't stand people who overdo it though on the chatspeak.

I don't bother trying to read when people talk in chatspeak too much.

3. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As long as I can understand it, I don't mind. I've got an iPhone, so it's just as easy to type correctly as incorrectly. I do know some friends don't have full keyboards, and it's apparently easier to type "kewl" than "cool".

I do have one friend who can't type OR spell worth a damn. I finally told him "Look, just CALL me, OK?" :slight_smile:

Lex

4. Shevanel

Yeah, I really hate texts in chat speak. xD this coworker of mine was texting me in chat speak and a bunch of shit got fucked up because I had no clue what the hell she was saying. It's really not that hard to type correctly on the phone =/

5. GhostDog

I will sometimes truncate words to fit them into the 160 character limit, just so I don't have to send two texts for one message. And I distinctly remember avoiding punctuation, long words, and the like back when I had a phone where I didn't have a little pull-out keyboard. Hitting one button ten times just to get to the comma after I accidentally scrolled past it was a huge pain in the ass. So, in some cases, it's understandable. Annoying to read at times, but understandable, considering the limitations of some peoples' phones. (Or their sobriety. Not... not that I get a lot of drunk texts, or anything. >.>)

Chatspeak really only bothers me when it appears somewhere other than chats or texts, and even that depends on context. It does annoy me when people ask about a serious problem, or try to participate in a discussion, and appear to have no idea how actual English is supposed to look. I find it exceedingly difficult to take people seriously if it looks like they hired a monkey to type for them, unless I know they have dyslexia or something. I'm sure my elitism is showing, there, but how you say what you say definitely affects how people interpret it.

But, eh. Poorly-written texts don't bother me if they're readable. "do u haev plans 4 satrday" need not be sent to the copy editor. ;P

6. Connor22

me too but it sometimes gets things a little erm mixed up, like when I typed in biffy clyro once it changed it to buffys clitoris lol

but yeah I really dont mind it at all so long as its legible

7. prester

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm sure somebody is thinking that there is nothing wrong with Buffy's bits except it needs a capital and an apostraphe (and I need some help with the spelling). Ah yes here is me thinking of my Buffy poster - of Angel:icon_wink.

Personally I don't mind a little bit of chat speak but keep it to the phone and make it understandable. If I get an email or letter that I just can not understand it drives me potty.

Cheers

8. MusicIsLife

d00d i h8 it wen ppl txt lyke dis

Is it really that hard to capitalize, spell correctly and throw in some punctuation? Geez.

9. ThePug

I do try to avoid doing typing in chat speak, but my phone doesn't have a full sized keyboard and it takes forever to text on the little device! It doesn't really annoy me when other people do it unless it's very difficult to read.

10. fragomatrick

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    dey bther me 2!

11. xCrazyInsanity

^^If they're on that kind of keypad I dont think there IS punctuation

12. gaz83

gaz83 Guest

well as long as i understand the message i dont mind too much. its more to do with keeping things quick really. like hey hows u? what ya up 2 2day? gimme a txt. nothing too unreadable haha. my stepmother cant understand alot of the stuff she gets from her friends so i interpret for her ususally. some stuff really dont make sense tho.

13. Shevanel

Yes there is. I don't exactly remember how to do it though, but it involves the 1 or * or # keys. I can't test it out either because my damn phone's front keypad is slightly not working >_>

14. Rosina

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It doesn't annoy me per-say. On the phone, I don't mind, as I can appreciate those who don't own a phone with a qwerty-keyboard might not want to sit there bashing out whole words when there are perfectly acceptable abbreviations.

But when it's online, facebook, MSN and all, it really does; I don't see how it takes less time to type 'u' instead of 'you' etc. It's really not that difficult to learn to type, surely? Granted, I know that not everyone can touch-type, but I actually find I have more patience with those who take longer to type fully then those who reply instantly with text-speak.

I don't mind bad spelling, being dyslexic myself, but when people use the 'oh, I can't spell' excuse, and I know they're not dyslexic, that frustrates me too. I take pride in the fact and although I am dyslexic, I like to make sure what I send to people is of good English; I have spell-check installed in Chrome and I spell-check my texts before I send them.

#14 Rosina, Apr 11, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2010
  15. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The 1 is punctuation, at least on my old cell phone and mom's.

16. thevre

I don't text properly. I used to, then decided that it made me look stuffy, arrogant, or sad. Or whatever... just very pessimistic. Now when I text I don't capitalize anything, and I use a thousand !!!!'s and say things like "yeayea" and "kk" and often trail off the end of the last word like "love you tooooo". That would have annoyed the shit out of me about a year ago, but now I decided it makes me feel happier and bouncier and like a happy person to talk to. Rarely/never use smilies though.

17. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh god I always trail on the end of my last word =x Horrible habitt now.

18. Zach1992

I just view people who write like that as stupid.

19. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't have a full keyboard, and my keyboard is garbage, so I hate texting at the best of times, but I try to keep to real English.

On my Nokia to get punctuation is "1" in predictive mode, and in non-predictive mode "*" will also bring up a punctuation list.

20. Mah lil sis talks lyk dis wen she txts me and omg its soooo annying!!!

Yeah. It annoys me.

A simple "u" or "lol" doesn't bug me- it's not so much the abbreviations or shortenings of words, but it's not that much harder to type "like" than "lyk". If you're spelling it wrong just for the sake of spelling it wrong or looking cool, that's annoying.