1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Princess Diana died 10 years ago today

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Paul_UK, Aug 31, 2007.

1. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

On 31st August 1997, Princess Diana died as a result of her injuries in a car crash in Paris.

Prince Harry made a moving speech at today's thanksgiving service.

Do you remember where you were and what you were doing when you first heard the news of her death? I realise some of you were only 3 or 4 then so may not remember much.

Or do you have any comments or thoughts about Diana, her life, her work and her legacy? Please steer clear of the conspiracy theory stuff etc though, as that can cause things to get heated!

I was in South Korea at the time. The company I worked for had sold two machines to to a company there and I was there weith a colleague for two weeks installing them. Diana died during the middle weekend of that trip.

Because of the time difference, when I woke and switched the hotel TV onto CNN Asia (the only English speaking channel available in the hotel), the news was that she had been involved in a serious car crash and was critically injured. It was not until a few hours later that we heard the news that the UK awoke to - that she had died from her injuries.

CNN Asia covered the story extensively for the whole day (it was our day off so I stayed at the hotel), with scarcely a mention of any other news anywhere in the world. Other news and current affairs stations, though I could not understand what they were saying, were clearly covering the story in depth too.

The next day back on the job, lots of people commented to us about it. Maybe that was partly because we were form the UK, but I think there was more than that. Everyone knew who Diana was, and the mood was noticeably subdued. Her death was the front page story on all the newspapers and the top item on the TV news for several days.

2. Latinokid

Latinokid Guest

I dont remember her dying mayb just the car crash on TV my mom love Princess Diana says she was a great woman and pretty and that the King was stupid in choosing the ugly wretch as a wife. I think Diana was a great person form what ive seen/herd a shame she died so young. She was a great woman

3. Kibuki kid

I was only five at the time but over the years as i learned about her i realized how much the world lost in her death. All that i can say is that she was a great humanitarian and she will always be remembered as a terrible loss to humanity. Bless he where ever she is.

4. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I was a huge Diana fan. I read all the tabloids about her. Back when she got married to Charles, a VCR was pretty much only for the rich. So I got up at some ungodly hour (I think it was 2:30 AM) to watch the wedding on TV. The night she died, I was up later than usual doing something. The news came across the screen. You wonder how I could be so upset about somebody dying that I did not know, but I was and I know alot of other people were too. I wasn't alone. I watched CNN for days and did alot of crying.

Thanks for the reminder Paul and the words from Prince Harry. I am glad they were old enough to have memories of their mother and that they will continue her legacy by helping others as she did.

5. Jim1454

My wife and I were away on our honeymoon. (We would have celebrated our 10th wedding anniversary last Thursday...) We were having breakfast in a B&B in Nova Scotia (I think we were in Badeck that morning) and overheard the owner talking about it with other guests. It really was such a shock.

I know you can't spend your life saying 'what if' but every time I think of her death, I wonder why people don't wear their seat belts in cars. Just because you're in a cab or a limousine does'nt mean you have some kind of immunity from injury. It may not have helped in the end, but she WAS travelling in one of the safest cars on the planet (the full size S Class Mercedes) and had she been wearing her seatbelt she may have survived. At least her chances would have been higher...

6. Jerr

Probably school... or at home angry that everyone was talking about that because I just didn't care... (Hello I was 8... video games where the shit... not someone like a gazillion miles away who I had no clue on her importance who died the same way a lot of people die and from what I heard as a youngen from not buckling her seat belt... which was a big no no)

WOE had to edit and add something...

It is a tragedy that she did die... above was my feelings as an 8 year old who just wanted to play a video game and talk about something I knew about.

7. I was 7 years old and I remember that it was a big deal. I was sitting at home during the summer and I remember my mom freaking out. She liked Diana a lot.

8. bvtsjm116

bvtsjm116 Guest

I don't remember. I don't know much about her. Maybe I'll look into reading why everyone thinks she was such a great person. I was too young to remember anything :frowning2:

9. Perrygay

Perrygay Guest

I was in the Outer Banks, North Carolina on the night she died. The only reason I remember was because my mom cried...which shows how much everyone loved her, because my mom's American.

10. I was 6 1/2 when I heard about her death. My sister and I were watching CNN, completely dumbfounded with my mother in the other room listening to the television.

It's too tragic for words that somebody who did so much for people, especially kids, died so young. :tears:

11. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    You KNOW, Diana loved gay people too. :slight_smile:

12. bernard

I think diana was murdered Why always the good ppl day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! why did not bush had an accident insted or bill laden or or or......grrrrrrrr

13. jayden

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    i sort of remember it??? i was 6yo when she died in the car acident in paris

14. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

I said at the beginning that we should stay away from conspiracy theories etc. Please don't go there.

15. Nicknikko

i was like 6 i really remember everyone being so sad! and the pic of the car in the news! that's what i remember...

16. davo-man

I was 7, but i honestly cant remember...It would have been my sister's eighth birthday that day, so knowing her, she wouldnt have cared if the King of the World had died, it was her birthday, and no one was gunna steal all the attention

17. Jeimuzu

I know exactly where I was. I was at home, asleep, on the morning of my ninth birthday.

Worst birthday morning ever, and was the worst birthday ever until my 18th topped it.

18. Jamie

Drammen, Norway (from England originally).
    Yup, I was at home asleep when it happened. Woke up to every TV in the house turned on with the News on them all. I must admit, that I was a little too young to comprehend the magnitude of what had happened - to me Diana was just another person.

But to reflect on it a bit later I grew to know that she was a wonderful women, caring and compassionate and so very non-royal in that she'd happily fob off her body guards and wear the most casual of clothes. But she was very much the 'people's princess' and will be very very much missed by a lot of people.

19. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Sorry Jacob, I didn't mean to remind you of bad birthdays. (*hug*)

20. Jeimuzu

I don't really have many memories of it, so don't worry. Anyways, it's a front page story on every newspaper at the moment.

But yeah, it wasn't a nice thing to happen on my birthday, since she was the one nice royal in the entire family - the only one who didn't seem to use her position as a way of looking down on people. I can just picture her dressed in wellies and old clothes helping out in New Orleans, or in a hard hat digging at WTC.