1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

places to live

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by travelinsoul21, Apr 12, 2010.

1. I'm wanting to at some point in the near future move to a friendlier, better part of the country. Someplace cooler, and more open and accepting.

Here are my guidelines -

I want it to still be in the USA
    Needs to have nice weather (generally speaking)
    Needs to be in Texas or West.

Any suggestions?

I know I would love California but its just so expensive?

2. olides84

Denver
    Austin (not sure if cooler weather-wise, but a sweet city)
    Portland (really nice, but rains a fair bit)
    any coastal city in California + Sacramento

3. What about Houston? I've heard good things about Houston. I know the weather is awfully hot in the summer, but I can handle that. Like if I was going to pick top 3 cities I am thinking about it would probably be Albuquerque, San Francisco, or Houston. Not in any particular order, although I'm attracted to Houston because of its size, but I can say the same about Albuquerque and SF, Plus they have nicer weather with less humidity. Opinions please.

4. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    San Francisco would be a good option. I think Seattle would be a another city worth considering.

5. Johnnieguy

Don't live in Texas.

6. Shevanel

Why not?

Everyone's so Texasphobic >_>

7. I love Texas. It's my home. But I don't know if its where I want to move or not.

8. starfish

How apropos.

I've been in Austin for 2 years. It's a good city, but I'm looking to leave for two reasons. First I am looking to move along in my career and there is not much in Austin that takes me in the direction I want to go. Second is I just don't fit in here. The city is centered around youth and I'm an honorary old fart. If you are an out going person that likes to socialize, the Austin is a great place.

I grew up in the Dallas the area and it's not bad. The Dallas Fort Worth Metroplex covers a lot of area, and is bigger than some New England states. For the most part it is conservative, but in my experience the North-East part of the Metroplex is most fiscally conservative and socially passive provided you affect tax rates.

I'm looking at Seattle myself. I'm just beginning my research. I like that it is rainy and near the ocean, and also has a mild climate. Not too hot and not too cold. Guess I need to plan a trip there to be sure.

9. RaRa

I'd definitely go for Cali...and no not just cause I live there. =P

Even though LA is great you'd probably like it more in SF.

10. Ive heard too many bad things about LA that make me not want to live there

11. ok455

My top cities is Chicago Il Atlanta Ga Houston Tx

Check out http://www.city-data.com/forum/

I heard more bad then good about California,Lack of jobs high cost of living and high taxes.Illegal immigrants problems.Sacramento seems like the most affordable city in California but they have a lot of fishy areas. Its strange i was looking at the La craigslist and they had apartments in the 800-1000 range and they was very nice.

What about Phoenix Arizona?
    Houston Tx? Good economy big city things to do nice weather etc.

I live in South Jersey i am beyond tired of this area. Its boring here lack of gay life here. No nightlife you have to travel an hour or so away to Atlantic City or Philly for those stuff.

#11 ok455, Apr 13, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2010
  12. I'm really leaning towards Houston. I would like to visit some areas of California just for grins and giggles. Houston seems nice because it's big, lots to do. It's close to the coast, low cost of living but high starting pay for a lot of fields. Plus the diversity is amazing. When I was there they have a large asian district with bilingual street signs. Nt that I could read them but it was cool

13. mattypants

well, whats considered good weather to you?? everyone has varied weather preferences.

yes, stay away from texas :lol:

LA is a HUGE city... usually, the bad things are confined to the same areas, not the whole city, which is a bit messed up though P:

i would think SD would be a nicer choice, calmer weather than SF

14. Nice weather for me is warm or hot most of the year. Some snow is ok. The warmer the better, though. I don't like humidity but I can handle it. I like rain and thunderstorms too.

----------

I mainly want to live near the coast(within an hour or right on the coast) Houston, Corpus Christi, Tx, San Diego, San Francisco, etc

15. mattypants

apart from being a bit farther from the coast, i'd say palmdale/lancaster... deserty warm and the occasional snow and rain storms :rolleyes:

16. Darkwing65

Texas? Texas!? Texas is basically another country. lol

Move to New Mexico. Albuquerque sounds perfect for you. It sunny most of the days. Warmer climate in the summer 80's to 90's and Some times snowy in the winter. The thunder storms in the summer can be quite impressive out on the Mesa. Plus, the wilderness in New Mexico is much to be admired.