1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

should we call ourselves unisexual?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by jazzyspazzy, Apr 14, 2010.

1. jazzyspazzy

jazzyspazzy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    i think bisexual is actually quite a misleading word. 'bi' means two, and we all know what 'sexual' means. so together, it sounds like bisexual people have two sexualities - so they're both gay and straight at the same time.

this might seem unrelated, but i recently got a new pair of glasses, and the frame is called 'unisex'. 'uni' means one, but has taken on a second meaning of 'shared' or 'together' if you consider 'united' and 'universal'. and when you talk about something being 'unisex' then it refers to being for both sexes. so i've decided to call myself 'unisexual' because it makes more sense to me, because i'm not gay half the time and straight half the time - i just fancy people!

what do you guys reckon?

2. British Lad

British Lad Guest

different but i see your point

3. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Mah, I really don't care either way. As long as people understand that I like both sexes then that's fine by me.

4. GhostDog

I think it'd be great if there were a word for "likes boys and girls" that didn't involve the word "sexual" at all. Most gay folks don't refer to themselves as "homosexual" because it sounds too pathological. I think "bisexual" sounds that way too, but there's not really much of an alternative besides just shortening it to "bi" (or "pan", for the pansexual folks). =/ I've seen "bisensual" and "pansensual" as a way to try to avoid linking attraction purely to sex, but it doesn't seem to have caught on in a big way or anything (plus, it still sounds like "bisexual" and "pansexual", to me at least).

5. Just Adam

well pan means all so uni and pan are same, yet different so that would be weird

ive never thought of bi in teh way you do ,interesting thought though.

6. LostandFound

LostandFound Guest

to me, 'uni' means 'one', as in unicycle or unibrow. So, if you told me you were unisexual and I didn't have a chance to ask you what you meant I'd just assume you only liked one gender and were just trying to come up with a different word for gay.

7. Shevanel

The label is the least important part of the sexuality.

8. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Uni, in the context of sexual relations, can also refer to a man with only one testicle.

"Bi" is short and has a nice ring to it.

9. Gaetan

Omnisexual has a nice ring to it.

10. IsItSo

Out Status:
    A few people
    To me, "unisexual" sounds like it describe people who are only attracted to one sex, as in homosexuals and heterosexuals, because of the "uni-" prefix. Also, thinking in a completely shallow way, I don't like the term "unisexual" because it's ugly when spoken or heard.

11. Numfarh

Numfarh Guest

I super-agree. It's just a word, folks.

I mean, if you wanted to get technical, I would be considered a 'pansexual'. However, for simplicity's sake I prefer the title of bisexual. Heck, I already have to explain that being bisexual doesn't mean being a huge slut (although that's another title that I bear with pride) or that we need several relationships. Explaining all of that on top of the gender spectrum? No thanks.

Though I really like answering as Gonzo does:
    I'm a whatever.