1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

UK Election: Who do you want to win?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by kettleoffish, Apr 15, 2010.

?

who would you vote for?

1. Labour

4 vote(s)
    7.7%
  2. Conservative

9 vote(s)
    17.3%
  3. Liberal Democrat

33 vote(s)
    63.5%
  4. Green

3 vote(s)
    5.8%
  5. British National Party

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Other (please specify)

3 vote(s)
    5.8%
  1. kettleoffish

In light of tonight's televised debates, I had a thought.. who would EC vote for and why?

Post who you would vote for (poll is imminent, once I work out how) and your reasoning behind it, or, if you have decided not to vote, why not.

(I apologise if this has been already done, I did search, but it is also the middle of the night and I'm tired so I might have missed a trick.)

edit: score! colours worked out perfectly. Also, 'other' includes abstaining, because I forgot to add that on the poll.

I need to sleeeeeeeep

#1 kettleoffish, Apr 15, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2010
  2. British Lad

British Lad Guest

Conserative because lib dems got no hope and everbody is teird of labour, and conserative are very pro gay (As i heard)

3. zzzzzz13

My vote for the moment is Lib Dems
    Nick Clegg came off really well tonight

But mainly i'm for Lib Dems because of Vince Cable, he makes the most sense on how to improve out economic situation both nationally and globally

4. Just Adam

i watched the debate, the guy who really came out on top was nick clegg, the other two both said at point they agreed with him, big mistake, he was curtious polite but honest and direct. i think the biggest edge the lib dems have is they are the outsider party and are the only party to actually set out 15bn in savings no other party has a properly costed plan

and vince is a legend

so yay lib dems bring on same sex marriage

5. kettleoffish

put my own opinion in:

I want the Lib Dems to win (although I'm too young to vote) because I think they are the only one of the three that actually cares about gay rights - the other two only really make empty promises to win votes, and, arguably more importantly, because I strongly oppose nuclear armaments, and they intend to kill two birds with one stone over that one - by saving £100bn by not replacing Trident and using the money to help set the economy back on track.

also, Vince is indeed a legend.

6. Ben

Ben

I think you heard wrong! Of the three, Conservatives have the least gay-friendly voting history. Maybe look at mygayvote — it's pretty clear as far as gay rights go for the three major parties.

The lib dems are clearly coming out from these debates with the most to gain as the smallest party being shown on an equal footing. Which I think is a very good thing for getting their policies out there. They're getting my vote, but my area always votes Conservative anyway.

7. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Lib Dems.

I actually get sick and tired of hearing the "they'll never win" argument. It says a lot about our democracy when there only seems to be room for two parties. :rolleyes: However, voting intentions are looking very promising for Lib Dems currently after the debate, but we shall see how that changes.

I also find it interesting how the Lib Dems gaining about 20+% warrants a "they'll never win" response, but the BNP potentially winning 1 MP seat is considered a major threat in politics and causes a media firestorm.

8. Harve

I'd like the Greens to win, even though they're quite 'young' and potentially disorganised if something crazy happens and they'd come into power. I prefer their manifesto to Lib Dems', but only just. But anyway it's not gonna happen. If i was old enough to vote i'd vote Lib Dems. But even so that'd mean fuck all because i live in one of the safest Tory seats (Derbyshire Dales) outside the south ¬_¬.
    Oh and on that point, our election system is completely flawed. It only depends on a few indecisive voters in marginal seats, which amounts to a few thousand people. Unless there's a massive, historic change in opinion most peoples' votes are irrelevant because they won't make any difference in their constituency.

9. Ben

Ben

Ugh I agree.
    My constituency has been Conservative since the 1920s. It makes my vote here pretty powerless since it's really predictable which way it's going to swing by now.
    But the MP's name was dirtied a bit in the expenses scandal. So maybe that might swing it a bit.

I totally agree with Martin about the not voting for the Lib Dems thing. I swear the amount of people who say "ah I can't vote for them because it's a waste" make up a huge proportion of actual voters. It pisses me off because I hear it so much and I just want to shake sense into them.

10. Just Adam

i agree 100%

i am watching the daily politics now and they are all saying nick was just there to get his voice heard but they will never be elected, and David is a pm in waiting he just needed tp show statesmen like behaviour

but nick looked at the camera was honest i believe and he made a point to write down peoples names and thank them each which i really liked.

after all hes the only guy who said we will scrap id cards and trident, thats like 150 billion there

im just trying to apply for my postal vote now as im on holiday on the 6th

----------

ok now im pissed why do they keep saying whos nick clegg? weve never heard of him....>.> its sickening how the two old parties try to belittle others and it shows what they are about.

11. pirateninja

Lib Dem all the way. I've always liked their policies (including their gay friendly ones :grin:), and Clegg did very well in the debate.

And I am another who gets pissed off with all the "Don't waste your vote" nonsense concerned with them. If people have asked me who I support, at least half the people I've told have tutted and told me to not waste a vote on a party who won't win. Labour and Conservative remind me of the "Douche and Turd" episode of South Park. I don't want a giant douche or a turd sandwich running our country, and I don't care if they're the ones with the most backing or likelihood to win. I'm throwing my weight behind the party I think can improve this country and that I support.

*giant British flag waves in the background*

12. Just Adam

haha that made my day :grin:

i know i should ignore the polls for the next few days, but apparently after the debate last night the lib dems have gone up by 14 % which i s a massive boost after 1 debate, bring on next week. i think Clegg has the formula down, interaction with the people and frank honesty, i can still see in my head Cameron saying thanks for the question and why he thinks its important totally ignoring what the person said lol

ive now applied for my postal vote should be here tomorrow so tomorrow i shall be voting lib dem :grin: yay.

oh id love if they won lol if people kept saying they were voting torrie but secertly cant stand their guts

oh dear labour party broadcast on tv, awww poor eddie izzard i like him but oh no, hes saying how torries are gonan put out posters and campaigns as they have loads of money from ashcroft and they aint doing it out of their own goodness, ignoring labour and the unite union...... and the old torries out for themselves which is true.

oh no david tennant please dont support labour :'( your breaking my heart..... weve only got pissing daniel radcliff or however you spell harry potter in muggle tongue.

13. Connor22

to be perfectly honest (call me a war monger) I really don't care who wins, my parents were probably going to vote conservative if we were allowed to vote in the general elections (northern Ireland isn't allowed to vote...*sarcastic* yay) but so long as the navy is left pretty much untouched and we get our aircraft carriers, aside for that the green party would be great to see elected,finally seeing change would be good... and then of course theres the mad looney raving party...

14. Just Adam

hmm i guess labout could be saved some day its not the party as such i hate jstu the people who all give me a feeling of deceit, but torries are evil...HOWARD ! THATCHER ! JOHNSON !

then again the labour prince of darkness is just as bad.

15. pirateninja

Margaret Thatcher the Milk Snatcher. *shudders*

She gave us women a baaaaaaad name.

16. Just Adam

green party i voted for one of them in local elections, but on a national level...no... they would cut massive amounts of military funding your planes..think of the emission ! harriers = bad to them..they would price car drivers off the road in eco car tax.

i do support them protecting farm land and forests and such.

as far as your concerns on military, the conservatives are saying there will need to be cuts, labour just keeps saying when asked for something they provided...which isn't true the helicopters have been sitting on the tarmac for 4 years just waiting for a circuit board change >.> .... thank you panorama :grin: ....but labour have pretty much said there will need to be tightening of military funding most likely in non front line services which will all have an effect on the front line.

lib dems will support the armed forces but want to scrap trident replacement as they feel we cant afford 100 billion over 25 years nor warrant it as we don't need a cold war missile system designed to target Russia. the lib dems are also the only one of the large 3 parties to say they will get our troops out of there...the others seem to have dropped that and just said it'll take as long as it takes.

----------

aww but you know your EPIC ! :grin:

17. Connor22

Well hey lib dems are so far doing most things right, ecept for what he said about immigrants, the whole only letting them go to where they are needed, it infringes on their human rights but meh I just want to be able to serve on one of these:
    [​IMG]

and hey if the greens win, they might make these nuclear and the planes hydrogen powered... sorry wishful thinking

18. Just Adam

well the lib dem foreign policy is complicated i admit but what it is they have a work permit that says where they are needed for their skills and they go to the employers that need them in the areas that need them... its really quite practical and when they want to move i imagine its just a matter of going to council filling a form,.... we love form filling >.> ...

i prefer it to the points system where you can only come in based on your assumed value

but everyone in the EU can come in anyway so this wont affect many people who come here,i cant see many people from USA being declined.

19. kettleoffish

yeah, it's only if you're brown that they really care

/inflammatory post.

20. Just Adam

i hate to agree on things but i do believe their is a slight racial prejudice on borders etc like if your from part of world straight away on a watch list.